Re: [UniQuaria] Need Help building custom tank

  • sevenspringss@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hi Darrell,

      This is not a new concept. Many hobbyists have built their aquariums into
      their walls, although I'm not one of them. One main point is that you can't
      use a wall that in any shape or form is a load-bearing wall without first
      reinforcing that wall. A new header of sufficient strength would need to be
      installed in the top of the opening to run the load from above out to the
      remaining uprights in that wall on either side of the opening. Depending on
      the size of the tank, you may need to install a lolly column beneath this
      wall, in the basement to support this additional load. This also ensures that
      the bottom of this opening cut into the wall remains level, without a sag
      from the tanks weight over time. Some similar installations are done using a
      wall near a closet, so that the maintenance can be performed from inside the
      closet where the back of the tank protrudes, rather than into another room.
      A canister filter can then have a place to be set up without it being
      intrusive in the other room, as can any electrical wiring or plumbing.

      Ray</HTML>
    • Darrell Darkow

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
        • sevenspringss@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
            Darrell,

            That'a about 21 gallons. It would weight about 174 pounds.

            Ray</HTML>
          • Darrell Darkow

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 9, 2012
                I'm not familiar with the strength needs of an acrylic tank. You're better
                off asking an independant aquarium manufactirer such as Tom Fiala/Twin Oaks
                at glasscages.com (inquires to be asked at glasscages@...). I'm sure
                he could tell you the thickness of the acrylic needed, and could even build
                you your tank at a reasonable cost. Depending upon where you live, he may
                even be able to deliver it to you nearby, as he has a regular schedule of
                drop off points around the country.

                Ray</HTML>