Need Help building custom tank

  • darrell.darkow
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hello group
      I am building a custom tank for direct in wall its between 2 rooms all the equipment is going to be on one side but the other side has to be flush in the wall has any one done a custom tank like this and what size glass or acrylic should I use or a double sided plywood tank need some help would like to start this project by Christmas is there any thing that any one recommends.

      thanks darrell darkow
      Darrell.darkow@...
    • sevenspringss@wmconnect.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
        Hi Darrell,

        This is not a new concept. Many hobbyists have built their aquariums into
        their walls, although I'm not one of them. One main point is that you can't
        use a wall that in any shape or form is a load-bearing wall without first
        reinforcing that wall. A new header of sufficient strength would need to be
        installed in the top of the opening to run the load from above out to the
        remaining uprights in that wall on either side of the opening. Depending on
        the size of the tank, you may need to install a lolly column beneath this
        wall, in the basement to support this additional load. This also ensures that
        the bottom of this opening cut into the wall remains level, without a sag
        from the tanks weight over time. Some similar installations are done using a
        wall near a closet, so that the maintenance can be performed from inside the
        closet where the back of the tank protrudes, rather than into another room.
        A canister filter can then have a place to be set up without it being
        intrusive in the other room, as can any electrical wiring or plumbing.

        Ray</HTML>
      • Darrell Darkow

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
          • sevenspringss@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
              Darrell,

              That'a about 21 gallons. It would weight about 174 pounds.

              Ray</HTML>
            • Darrell Darkow

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2012
                  I'm not familiar with the strength needs of an acrylic tank. You're better
                  off asking an independant aquarium manufactirer such as Tom Fiala/Twin Oaks
                  at glasscages.com (inquires to be asked at glasscages@...). I'm sure
                  he could tell you the thickness of the acrylic needed, and could even build
                  you your tank at a reasonable cost. Depending upon where you live, he may
                  even be able to deliver it to you nearby, as he has a regular schedule of
                  drop off points around the country.

                  Ray</HTML>