Re: [UniQuaria] Name that Fish - 5th one

  • Julie Haddy
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
      They are both Escondido.  The smaller one is a female in spawning dress.  The fry just started free swimming yesterday :-)

      Julie Haddy

      On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM, <sevenspringss@...> wrote:

      Looks like Herichthys carpintis 'Escondito'. While the smaller one may be
      a juvenile of this same species, its appearance more closely resembles
      Herichthys cyanoguttatus (or H. cyanoguttatum, depending on the source of the
      literature it's noted in). Then too, I've seen "carpintis" written also as
      carpinte.

      Ray</HTML>

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/5/2012 8:00 AM, sevenspringss@... wrote:
        > Those close-up patches aren't always easily, and I noticed it won't respond
        > to enlarging. With the reticulated pattern surrounding the scales, I'd
        > take a wild guess that it's an Arowana (Osteoglossom bicirrhosum), but then
        > again, it could be something much smaller and possibly even been named for this
        > attribute -- like the wild Lebistes reticulatus (Poecilia reticulata) --
        > although if it is a smaller fish, the coloration of this netting-like
        > pattern resembles that of the Characin Copeina guttata. Did I cover all bases yet
        > (LOL)?
        >
        > Ray<
        Hi Ray. No, that's not it. That was the beauty of the game. It's really
        difficult. In some cases, all you'd get was a close-up of a patch of
        apparently nondescript scales. The clue then might be they were serrated
        with black edging. Professional aquarists are a sadistic lot sometimes.