Re: [UniQuaria] Name that Fish - 4th one

    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
      On 10/5/2012 10:13 AM, Julie Haddy wrote:
      I'm guessing this has to be some sort of salty.  Angelfish?
      Yes, it's an angelfish.  A blueface angelfish, Pomacanthus xanthometopon, to be exact.

      Considering that xantho means yellow, why did they chose the as part of the scientific name? Well, the second portion of the trivial name, metapon, refers to the entire preoral area on underside of head. Hence the other common name for this fish, yellowmask. Leave it to the taxonomists to take a less obvious feature and name the fish after that. Perhaps cyanofacies (literally: blueface) would have been a better choice?

      Frank

      Julie Haddy

      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Frank M. Greco <phrankg@...> wrote:
      On 10/4/2012 10:17 PM, donna joanna wrote:
      Tricky one, Frank.     I guessed with Ray on this one.
      I used to play with game with other public aquarium aquarists, except that we'd used close-ups of the color patterns, not the whole fish. Try to guess this fish. It's actually an easy one.

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/5/2012 8:00 AM, sevenspringss@... wrote:
        > Those close-up patches aren't always easily, and I noticed it won't respond
        > to enlarging. With the reticulated pattern surrounding the scales, I'd
        > take a wild guess that it's an Arowana (Osteoglossom bicirrhosum), but then
        > again, it could be something much smaller and possibly even been named for this
        > attribute -- like the wild Lebistes reticulatus (Poecilia reticulata) --
        > although if it is a smaller fish, the coloration of this netting-like
        > pattern resembles that of the Characin Copeina guttata. Did I cover all bases yet
        > (LOL)?
        >
        > Ray<
        Hi Ray. No, that's not it. That was the beauty of the game. It's really
        difficult. In some cases, all you'd get was a close-up of a patch of
        apparently nondescript scales. The clue then might be they were serrated
        with black edging. Professional aquarists are a sadistic lot sometimes.