Re: [UniQuaria] Name that Fish - 4th one

  • Julie Haddy
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
      I'm guessing this has to be some sort of salty.  Angelfish?

      Julie Haddy

      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Frank M. Greco <phrankg@...> wrote:
      On 10/4/2012 10:17 PM, donna joanna wrote:
      Tricky one, Frank.     I guessed with Ray on this one.
      I used to play with game with other public aquarium aquarists, except that we'd used close-ups of the color patterns, not the whole fish. Try to guess this fish. It's actually an easy one.

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/5/2012 8:00 AM, sevenspringss@... wrote:
        > Those close-up patches aren't always easily, and I noticed it won't respond
        > to enlarging. With the reticulated pattern surrounding the scales, I'd
        > take a wild guess that it's an Arowana (Osteoglossom bicirrhosum), but then
        > again, it could be something much smaller and possibly even been named for this
        > attribute -- like the wild Lebistes reticulatus (Poecilia reticulata) --
        > although if it is a smaller fish, the coloration of this netting-like
        > pattern resembles that of the Characin Copeina guttata. Did I cover all bases yet
        > (LOL)?
        >
        > Ray<
        Hi Ray. No, that's not it. That was the beauty of the game. It's really
        difficult. In some cases, all you'd get was a close-up of a patch of
        apparently nondescript scales. The clue then might be they were serrated
        with black edging. Professional aquarists are a sadistic lot sometimes.