Re: [UniQuaria] Name that Fish - 2nd one

    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 3, 2012
      On 10/3/2012 2:28 PM, Dora Smith wrote:
      I got something of the killifish/ guppy/ platy group - in other words, I guess, a topminnow.  That of course would explain why I'm so sure I've seen it recenlty.   I've been casing fish at Petsmart.

      But only a few kinds have that little tail so far back.   Aplocheilus, and Panchax.   And epiplatys.
      It is an Aplocheilus. Species, anyone?

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/5/2012 8:00 AM, sevenspringss@... wrote:
        > Those close-up patches aren't always easily, and I noticed it won't respond
        > to enlarging. With the reticulated pattern surrounding the scales, I'd
        > take a wild guess that it's an Arowana (Osteoglossom bicirrhosum), but then
        > again, it could be something much smaller and possibly even been named for this
        > attribute -- like the wild Lebistes reticulatus (Poecilia reticulata) --
        > although if it is a smaller fish, the coloration of this netting-like
        > pattern resembles that of the Characin Copeina guttata. Did I cover all bases yet
        > (LOL)?
        >
        > Ray<
        Hi Ray. No, that's not it. That was the beauty of the game. It's really
        difficult. In some cases, all you'd get was a close-up of a patch of
        apparently nondescript scales. The clue then might be they were serrated
        with black edging. Professional aquarists are a sadistic lot sometimes.