Re: [UniQuaria] Name that Fish - 2nd one

  • Julie Haddy
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 3, 2012
      Looks like a killifish.  I'm guessing epiplatys type, but haven't found a match in coloring for the species.

      Julie Haddy

      On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Frank M. Greco <phrankg@...> wrote:
      O.K., maybe this one was difficult. The correct answer is Laetacara araguaiae, also known as Laetacara cf. curviceps Buckelkopf. This fish has been in the hobby for many years, although it seems not to be very popular, which is unusual for such a colorful and easy to breed dwarf cichlid.

      Let's try another:

      Name that Fish!

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/5/2012 8:00 AM, sevenspringss@... wrote:
        > Those close-up patches aren't always easily, and I noticed it won't respond
        > to enlarging. With the reticulated pattern surrounding the scales, I'd
        > take a wild guess that it's an Arowana (Osteoglossom bicirrhosum), but then
        > again, it could be something much smaller and possibly even been named for this
        > attribute -- like the wild Lebistes reticulatus (Poecilia reticulata) --
        > although if it is a smaller fish, the coloration of this netting-like
        > pattern resembles that of the Characin Copeina guttata. Did I cover all bases yet
        > (LOL)?
        >
        > Ray<
        Hi Ray. No, that's not it. That was the beauty of the game. It's really
        difficult. In some cases, all you'd get was a close-up of a patch of
        apparently nondescript scales. The clue then might be they were serrated
        with black edging. Professional aquarists are a sadistic lot sometimes.