Re: smartest fish was Re: Fish Training Video

  • donna joanna
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2012
      I don't think any fish species has a memory that is 3 seconds of less.   This figure is an urban legend - as far as I know  :-)
      I wonder if schooling fish are dumber that the fish who don't use schooling behavior.       hummmm

      My bet is the smartest freshwater fish species is in the Labryinth group - Gourami and Bettas.    I think the Gourami might be really smart because some evolved  the long pelvic fins - the long skinny feelers.    I love to watch them reach out to touch things they meet in the water.   Whether they use their feelers like fingers I don't know.
      (I have never seen one wrap a feeler around something the way and octopus does)

      Oh, well, now there is one smart fish - the octopus.     Smartest saltwater fish has to be an octopus!