bio wheel

  • seremarcus
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012
      I've had my 29gal live plant tank for about 15 yrs. I've had the same penguin biowheel this whole time. It is now splitting at the seams, so I'm replacing it this week. (didn't know they lasted so long!) I am wondering now about the new bio wheel. How many weeks does it take to get the bio filtration working on this new wheel. Will the few fish I have be ok or should I relocate the fish until the filtration is working properly, or all is fine.

      thanks,
      Elaine
    • Jimmie R Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
        Don't change the bio0wheel and the filter media at the same time.  If your fish load is light it should be alright.
                                                                                                                Nadine

        At 05:08 PM 3/6/2012, you wrote:

        I've had my 29gal live plant tank for about 15 yrs. I've had the same penguin biowheel this whole time. It is now splitting at the seams, so I'm replacing it this week. (didn't know they lasted so long!) I am wondering now about the new bio wheel. How many weeks does it take to get the bio filtration working on this new wheel. Will the few fish I have be ok or should I relocate the fish until the filtration is working properly, or all is fine.

        thanks,
        Elaine

      • donna joanna
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
          I pull out the sponge pieces from the well behind the biowheel when starting up a new one.    Can you do that?
          I bet you could take some gravel from your beautifully established tank to scatter in the well behind your new biowheel.

          I'm impressed you've had this tank set up so long.      I get to fooling around with my aquatic hobby so much the longest I've had a single set up is maybe 2 years.
          Donna
          I've had my 29gal live plant tank for about 15 yrs.  I've had the same penguin biowheel this whole time.  It is now splitting at the seams, so I'm replacing it this week.  (didn't know they lasted so long!) I am wondering now about the new bio wheel.  How many weeks does it take to get the bio filtration working on this new wheel.  Will the few fish I have be ok or should I relocate the fish until the filtration is working properly, or all is fine.

          thanks,
          Elaine

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              UniQuaria-digest@yahoogroups.com
              UniQuaria-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • seremarcus
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
            I figured out the trick to keeping my tank going so long - I quit worrying about it so much and checking the water etc, etc. I let it just be and it and the fish thrive. When I would start testing the water, replanting etc, then troubles happen!

            Elaine