Re: [UniQuaria] Plant ferts

  • Lisa Rambo
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2012
    An important key to success with a planted tank is your substrate.  Like Eco Complete or one of the others.   A depth of at least 3 inches is recommended also.  These substrates for planted tanks will provide the plants with nutrition and you can fertilize less.  Also you need at least 2 - 3 watts of light per gallon. Not familiar with your light and I dont use actinics for freshwater plants.
    Good plants for low to mid light are swords, java ferns, some crypts, val. These are also what I call 'clean plants' in that they dont shed alot of their leaves and clog up your filters.,  But you will have to find out what works for your tank. It's a trial and error when you first start.
    I've included a pic of my tank which has grown in alot since I took it.  I don't really add any fertilizers. But if you really want to have the best planted tanks, you need a co2 system.
    Hope that helps.
    Lisa

    Be who you are and say what you feel,
    because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind.
    -Dr. Seuss

    Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2012
      For me, I use Osmocote and Miracle Gro. Works really well, and is
      inexpensive. I place them both into gel caps, and push that into the
      substrate near the plants. The gel caps melt, leaving the fertilizer in
      the substrate to be used by the plants.

      Frank
    • mark speer

        Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2012
          On 2/19/2012 11:37 AM, mark speer wrote: |**|begin egp html banner|**|

          So you use regular mirical gro for yard and gardens
          Yep, regular miracle gro.

          Frank

        • Mark
          Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2012
            Thanks this does help, I have 108w on a 55g tank so real close to 2w/g. Could also run my 40w T8 light to up the wattage. I have 50 lbs of gravel now can I just mix it 50 lbs of the Eco Complete with what my gravel? But thinking of using 1" of topsoil under the gravel and set up a Walstad tank. Hoping to stay away from Co2 for now ($$$) but if it comes down to it I'll start off with a DIY system. Thanks for the idea on plants, I picked some coontail plants and moneywort and think the coontail may get messy so "clean plants" is what I want from here on.