6 Simple Steps to Cleaning Your Home Aquarium

  • ekfjugpuekfj
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2012
      If you own a home aquarium, you know that keeping the tank clean is vital to having healthy fish, not to mention that it looks nicer as well. Keeping a clean tank is the single most important job of an aquarium owner, and it is not complicated or difficult work.
      First of all, you must establish and stick to an aquarium cleaning schedule. It is recommended that you completely clean the tank approximately every two months. This is a good timeframe because it is not too frequent but it is often enough to prevent a lot of waste buildup or algae in the tank. Of course, you should observe your own aquarium and adjust this schedule as necessary, depending on the needs of your fish.
      Here are 6 easy steps to keeping a clean and healthy aquarium environment:
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 1 - Prepare A complete aquarium cleaning requires some preparation and supplies. It is best to get everything you will need together and in place before you begin the cleaning process.
      Here is a list of the necessary supplies:
      - a bucket or container to keep your fish in while you clean their tank
      - a fish net
      - a towel for any inadvertent spills
      - a bucket or water pitcher to use when it is time to refill the tank
      - a strainer
      - a clean sponge and a clean rag.
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 2 - Fish Removal Before you can thoroughly clean the tank, you have to take out the fish. Simply remove the fish, one by one, with the fish net, and place them into the container you have set aside to be their temporary home. Make sure that the water in this container is the same as the water in their tank to prevent your fish from going into shock. Keep the temporary home in a stable spot where they will not be disturbed or jarred, as they will already by stressed from being taken from their aquarium home.
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 3 - Water Removal Once you have taken all of the fish out of the tank, you can start removing the water. It is recommended that you take out approximately three-quarters of the water from the tank during a thorough cleaning, keeping some of the original tank water to help balance out the new water that will be added to the tank later. Using a small bucket , just scoop out the water and dump it into the sink, tub or toilet. Water removal can get a little messy, so keep a towel at the ready to clean up any spills.
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 4 - Cleaning the Gravel The gravel is probably the dirtiest part of your aquarium, because it is where all of the waste and left over food is deposited. In order to properly clean the gravel, it has to be completely removed from the tank. This can be done with the fish net, a dust pan or a small scoop. Put the gravel into a strainer when you take it out of the tank. After it is all out, run the gravel under very hot water, mixing it around to make sure all of the rocks get a good cleaning. Set the gravel aside once it is clean. It will be returned to the tank later.
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 5 - Scrubbing The Tank Once everything has been removed from the tank, you can commence cleaning the glass. There is usually waste and algae built up on the aquarium walls, and this needs to be scrubbed off. Using a scratch pad, rub the tank walls and bottom gently taking care not to scratch the glass surface. NEVER use any type of cleaning solution or detergent to wash your aquarium. It will kill your fish. Use only hot water and a gentle scrubbing motion. Although you may need to go over it more than once, this will adequately clean all of the algae and waste from the aquarium.
      If you have decorations or fake plants in the tank, these should also be thoroughly cleaned with hot water.
      Cleaning Your Home Aquarium Step 6 - All Clean! Ahh, a crystal clean aquarium. Now all you have to do is put everything back into place. First put the gravel back in and spread it around the bottom of the tank. Next add water, taking care that the temperature is as close to the original water as possible. Once the tank is full again, put any decorations back into place and then return the fish to their aquarium home. They should become reacclimated fairly quickly and your sparkling clean aquarium will be whole again.
      Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

      Right Aquarium: http://books.atzinfo.com/?16
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
        I don't know where you got this article but I would never remove my fish to clean it. That would stress them out and is unnecessary. Deborah

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "ekfjugpuekfj" <ekfjugpuekfj@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

      • Trevor Holyoak
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
          This is horrible advice. It sounds like someone wrote it based on what
          they learned from "Find Nemo."

          But it looks like it's really just spam trying to sell a book - which is
          probably full of such bad advice.

          - Trevor

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
            Oops, that of course should have been "Finding Nemo"...

            This advice would be appropriate for a fishbowl or something similar
            without a filter, in which case it should be done at least weekly (even
            better - get a filter!). Otherwise, do a partial water change but leave
            the gravel and fish alone (although a gravel vacuum while you're doing
            the water change is a good idea).

            - Trevor

            On 1/13/2012 8:48 AM, Trevor Holyoak wrote:
> [...]
            >>> Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

          • Sissy Sathre
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
              OMG  don't do any of these things. This person has no idea how to clean or maintain an aquarium. :(
> [...]

              > Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                This is PURE SPAM and should never have been allowed to be posted. This person would have been removed and banned fast if I were a moderator here. I hope that this book this writer is trying to promote is not as poor as this advice. The messages shows that this writer knows next to nothing about aquariumn fish maintenance, and his purposes are only self-serving.

                Ray W.

> [...]
                > Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

              • Jimmie R Davis
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                  This is from a circa 1950's book.
                                                        Nadine

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                    On 1/13/2012 2:55 PM, Jimmie R Davis wrote:
                    This is from a circa 1950's book.
                                                          Nadine
                    Any idea which book this is from? I have many books from that period, and I don't remember reading anything like that. I sounds more like an article that you might have found in a home magazine from that period.

                    Frank
                  • Julie Haddy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                      This sounds like a perfectly good way to kill off most of the beneficial bacteria, cause the tank to cycle again & cause a lot of fish stress and deaths.

                      Julie Haddy

                    • donna joanna
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 13, 2012
                        I remember faithfully boiling my tank's gravel once in a while.    I did want it 'clean.'       This suggests it may have been taught little kid aquarists in the late 50s/early 60s.    The book I had back then was tossed out when I moved my bookcases last year.    Oops.

                        I don't have any memory of the details -   like where the tank's fish were kept ( or if any live fish had been in the tank), what happened when I put the clean gravel back.     BUT, the importance of this aquatic hygiene practice was so dramatic that I tracked that aluminum gravel pot through family changes these past 6 decades.     It now
                        lives in the pots and pan cupboard in my kitchen.      It was Mom's spaghetti boiling kettle.     Bless her heart, she sure was supportive of my fish keeping passion.

                        Donna Joanna, LMD,   Kansas/ US

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 16, 2012
                            My elderly baby sitter hooked me.    In the early 50's, she had a little tank on a desk in her living room.     Rich green Anacharis, black Mollies and really red ramshorns.      Wish I could rmember what lighting she used to grow those plants and what  the filter looked like or if she had one.
                            The history of our hobby is fun to read and hear about.      I saw an article tracing the development of filters.        Some people used a thin hose that slowly released bubbles from an inflated tire
                            through the water.     Imagine!

                            Donna Joanna Seidel, LMD, Kansas, US

> [...]

                            > Don't forget to clean and change the filter on a regular basis to maintain optimum cleanliness and water balance. Another trick is to replace around 20% of the aquarium water once a month. This reduces the time it takes when you do this major cleaning every couple of months. A clean aquarium is a healthy aquarium, and it means your fish will live long and live well.

                          • Jo
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 18, 2012
                              Hello Everyone,
                              Ray wrote: < This is PURE SPAM and should never been allowed to be posted. This person would have been removed and banned fast if I were a moderator here. >
                              Although I realize that the person was misinformed when she read the book, but I don't agree that she should be banned from this group.
                              I know for a fact that I have often made mistakes after reading a book until I have realized that what I have been doing is stupid ... but I can understand that if someone hadn't read any other books on a subject they would do what ever was suggested.
                              Cheerio for now,
                              God Bless you & yours,
                              Joy A. Member of the Mid & North Devon Moderation Teams
                              www.ilovefreegle.org
                              List Mum for Crochet Plus
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crochetplus
                            • Ray
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 18, 2012
                                Hi Jo,

                                At the time that I replied to the original message of this thread, containing all of the erroneous info that was posted (and which many others here responded to as being just that), it appeared that the writer was promoting a book but didn't seem to know very much at all about proper fish maintenance. I replied to the original message as one of the first to do so, on January 13th (it's January 18th now), five days ago and you are just seeing it now. Since I posted, a number of other scenario's have been suggested by other members as to why that person may have posted such poor information as they did, which has some merit even if it's still all speculative.

                                I will say though, that other reasons for that person to have posted what they did may seem feasible even though the reason looked more sinister at the time, so after considering other members' input I've reserved further input myself as anything is possible. As I know that my messages generally take at least five days to get posted on this group, I know that it's useless to revise any statements here in a timely manner. With such a delay in mind, I find it useless to follow up on anything, as I know it won't be seen until the better part of a week after sending it; at least, that's the way it has been for my messages up until now.

                                I've been a member of this group for many years, possibly even longer than some of you have been members, yet Giancarlo (our Moderator) must apparently still have me on moderation. It's for this same reason that I seldom post or reply to anything, knowing how long it takes to have anything approved. As I understand it from Giancarlo though in a statement he made on another group that we both moderate, he no longer has sufficient time to devote to moderating, so I understand his problem even while I don't understand his keeping me on moderation. As today is January 18th, I doubt very much you will see this message posted much before January 23rd, so if you're expecting any kind of a reply from me, just know why this message may appear late to you if it gets delayed again.

                                Ciao,

                                Ray