Re: [UniQuaria] live plants in 10 G, more fish for community tank... general questions

  • bill 1433
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
      Hi Frank,

      The reason I asked about your lighting? Not much room in our house for a much bigger tank
      other than what I have now, which is a standard 29-gallon. I would like a 65 at 36 x 18 x 24, which would fit in the space we have available.

      I have zero experience with live plants but have been in the hobby for a long time. Back in the 70’s I was spawning and raising Discus. Being retired now but as with most people, not independently wealthily, my thoughts are about the depth of this tank, at 24”. It has been suggested that I use a “Quad” system with 2-10,000 k tubes and 2-6,500 tubes. As you know these are not cheap.

      Others tell me this is over kill and a single double tube fixture at half the cost, with these tubes will work just fine. Not sure of the depth of your 220 but certainly a tank this size would pose the same type of problems. I really would not like to fail in my “first planted tank” attempt. My needs for plants are very simple as to type, anything green! I’d like your thoughts or suggestions on this sets-up.

      Thanks again for the return,

      bill in pa

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 62 KB
      And one nice thing about live plants is sometimes they surprise you. I
      guess I didn't close the glass cover all the way last night, and by this
      morning one stem of my Wisteria plant decided to make a break for it.

      Frank
    • nonstopmom888
      Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
        Wow, it looks like it becomes a little tree :)

        Your aquarium in the other picture looks amazing too!
        Thanks, Nora

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:

        > And one nice thing about live plants is sometimes they surprise you. I
        > guess I didn't close the glass cover all the way last night, and by this
        > morning one stem of my Wisteria plant decided to make a break for it.
        >
        > Frank

      • Jimmie R Davis
        Message 4 of 17 , Jan 18, 2012
          I use shoplight fluorescent fixtures.  I prefer the stainless steel look.  I get the 4 ft. double tube fixture for my 55 gallon.  It just fits.  I do keep a glass under it to help prevent rust. I buy plant type bulbs. As early as the first fluorescent  fixtures I preferred the plant bulbs.  Tells you how old I am.
                                                                                                              Nadine

           At 04:29 AM 1/6/2012, you wrote:

          Hi Frank,

          The reason I asked about your lighting? Not much room in our house for a much bigger tank
          other than what I have now, which is a standard 29-gallon. I would like a 65 at 36 x 18 x 24, which would fit in the space we have available.

          I have zero experience with live plants but have been in the hobby for a long time. Back in the 70’s I was spawning and raising Discus. Being retired now but as with most people, not independently wealthily, my thoughts are about the depth of this tank, at 24”. It has been suggested that I use a “Quad” system with 2-10,000 k tubes and 2-6,500 tubes. As you know these are not cheap.

          Others tell me this is over kill and a single double tube fixture at half the cost, with these tubes will work just fine. Not sure of the depth of your 220 but certainly a tank this size would pose the same type of problems. I really would not like to fail in my “first planted tank” attempt. My needs for plants are very simple as to type, anything green! I’d like your thoughts or suggestions on this sets-up.

          Thanks again for the return,

          bill in pa

          > It's only one tank: a 220 gallon. It's lit by a 12 bulb T5
          > fluorescent
          > fixture, although I use only half the bulbs most of the
          > time. The
          > aquascape is dominated by Java fern growing on cork tubes
          > and
          > half-rounds. There are for species of Cryptocorynes, a red
          > lotus, a
          > liverwort,  Wisteria and pennywort (the latter two
          > growing at the
          > surface in the higher light area). Substrate is black
          > fluorite sand, and
          > filtration is via an Ehiem Professionel 3 Filter (450
          > gph).
          >
          > Frank

          >             Yahoo! Groups
          > Links
          >

          >     UniQuaria-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Julie Haddy
          Message 5 of 17 , Jan 18, 2012
[...]

            Deep tanks are more of a challenge on lighting to be successful as planted tanks.  I would definitely use a plant friendly substrate regardless of the lighting chosen to help support them as much as possible.  I don't have any tanks as deep as a 65 gal tank, but I would doubt that a quad system would be overkill because of the depth.  It may work better to have a couple of tubes & a couple of "spotlight" type lights such as halogens to help penetrate the depth.  Some low light plants such as Java fern & anubias are very forgiving of low light conditions but to stay green & grow somewhat, I think a dual light over that depth would not really lead to a successful planted tank.  I have not really done much homework on the LED fixtures & how they work on planted tanks, but a friend is retrofitting one of his tanks with LEDs & it's BRIGHT.

            Decent lights are pricey, but there are ways to mitigate that.  Look for retrofit kits if you don't mind doing a little handiwork to upgrade a regular fixture.  Save a search on ebay or learn to use RSS on Craigslists to search for used items.

            Julie Haddy

            Message 6 of 17 , Jan 18, 2012
              On 1/18/2012 4:41 PM, Jimmie R Davis wrote:
              The reason I asked about your lighting? Not much room in our house for a much bigger tank other than what I have now, which is a standard 29-gallon. I would like a 65 at 36 x 18 x 24, which would fit in the space we have available.
              I would suggest a double bulb 36" T5 HO fluorescent fixture. This will work both on a 29 and a 65, and give you enough light to grow most aquatic plants. My 220 is 36" deep, and the only problem I've had with plants is with the swords. But I think that that is because the other plants, being faster growers, shaded them out, not because the lighting itself was inadequate.

              These are not inexpensive fixtures, though. You might be able to find a similar type fixture at a lighting store or Home Depot/Lowes for a lower price, and adapt it to your needs.

              Frank
            • bill 1433
              Message 7 of 17 , Jan 19, 2012
                Hi Julie,

                Thanks for the return.  I may just start with one twin tube fixture.
                The tank is 18" wide and should the first not provide enough light,
                I will add a second.

                bill in pa

                Message 8 of 17 , Jan 19, 2012
                  An older aquarist in Canada used shop lights over tanks.    Using chicken grit (an old time grit that chickens need, I'm guessing it had a lot of crushed oyster shell) as substrate, her plants were always big, bold and healthy.    In fact, she was an
                  award winning expert.     I think she used plants-only larger tanks in the 55 gallon size.     FAMA published an article about her many years ago - I hope I'm remembering her simple formula correctly.
                  Her formula probably would not work for so many plants we can buy these days but back then the tougher plants we had available did very well.
                  Donna Joanna, LMD, Kansas, US