Re: [UniQuaria] Re: Using Prime...Nitrite still detectable?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
      On 12/30/2011 11:34 PM, nonstopmom888 wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I used it 2 times until now.
      >
      > First time I used a double dose. After the next 50% water change I used maybe 3-4 times of a normal dose. But I think the fish are not completely happy with it (they swim near the filter close to the surface). Next time I use only a single dose...
      > Afterward my test stripes showed around 1 ppm Nitrite, no ammonia.
      >
      > What is stability? Does it detoxify too?
      >
      > Thanks, Nora
      Stability, by Seachem, is a live bacteria culture that "contains a
      synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which
      facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and
      nitrate." Not sure how well it works, or even if it works. IME, live
      bacteria cultures are a hit or miss thing. The only possible exception
      to this is a product called BioSpria (now Tetra Safestart). I have used
      this product in the past to start up both large and small systems, and
      it seems to work as claimed.
      Prime is another Seachem product that claims to detoxify nitrite and
      nitrate, but I have no idea how it would do so, and they provide no info
      on their site.
      A simple way to combat nitrite toxicity is the addition of salt to the
      water at a rate of one level teaspoon of salt per gallon of water (table
      salt, marine salt, kosher salt, etc, will do). At this level, there are
      no harmful effects to fish,plants, or biofilter. The chloride ions in
      the salt negate the harmful effect of nitrite.

      Frank
    • Painted My QH's
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
        I have started a 120 gal tank, put my fish (frontosa's) directly into it, I
        pour the stability right into the filter before they are plugged in and then
        I triple dose daily, never had a spike and the fish were fine and happy. Did
        the same thing with my 40 gal corner tank...

        Lana Bollers
        www.LNThorses.com
        Sturgeon AC Milan
        780-777-4311

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
          On 12/31/2011 1:26 PM, Painted My QH's wrote:
          > I have started a 120 gal tank, put my fish (frontosa's) directly into it, I
          > pour the stability right into the filter before they are plugged in and then
          > I triple dose daily, never had a spike and the fish were fine and happy. Did
          > the same thing with my 40 gal corner tank...
          Hi Lana. Good to hear. Like I said, these bacteria products are usually
          hit or miss, but it's good to hear another works as well as the BioSpira.

          Frank
        • Eleonore Hebenstreit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
            Hi again,

            thanks again for the info.
            Today I purchased Tetra Safe start and just poured it in after a PWC.
            Wow, it looked really cloudy and I think the fish were a little confused ;)
            At the shop Tetra Safe start was the only bottle that really promised
            better result when using it instead writing some vague explanations. I
            also looked for Dr. Tim's one and only but they did not carry it in the
            shop. The nitrite seems not too bad anymore (with at least daily 50% PWC
            it seems to linger around 1 ppm and I think I see some Nitrate coming,
            ammonia seems 0 now)
            So everything starts looking brighter now :)

            Thanks a lot for all the help until now!
            Nora