Re: [UniQuaria] puffer fish question

  • Trevor Holyoak
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2011
      Green spotted puffers actually do best long term in a marine aquarium.

      - Trevor

      On 5/27/2011 7:57 PM, dmelton2@... wrote:
      Puffers really need brackish conditions, cory's do NOT like salt.  Don't think this is a good mix.  Yes i know you can buy puffers at Walmart.  They are sending a wrong message though.

      On May 27, 2011, at 9:28 AM, "Mary L" <soragne@...> wrote:

      We're thinking of adding a spotted green puffer to a
      20 gal. There are corydoras in there already... will
      the puffer go after them?

      Mary

    • jason williams

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 1:33 PM
          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, dmelton2@... wrote:
          > Puffers really need brackish conditions, cory's do NOT
          > like salt. Don't think this is a good mix. Yes i know
          > you can buy puffers at Walmart. They are sending a
          > wrong message though.

          Dmelton and Trevor, thank you for the responses. We're in the
          process of making the tank brackish according to suggested
          guidelines for a medium/large puffer. Picking up a medium
          sized one at a reputable local LFS.

          I was hoping to keep live plants in there... are java/ribbon/lace
          fern ok in brackish water?

          Mary
        • Trevor Holyoak
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4 11:44 AM
            Keep in mind that brackish water is not made by adding rock salt (as
            many web sites advise). Brackish water is diluted marine water. This
            site has some good advice, including plants and other fish:
            http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

            - Trevor

          • dmelton2@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4 4:37 PM
              I have java doing well in one of mine.

              On 6/1/2011 2:33 PM, Mary L wrote:

              > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, dmelton2@... wrote:
              >> Puffers really need brackish conditions, cory's do NOT
              >> like salt. Don't think this is a good mix. Yes i know
              >> you can buy puffers at Walmart. They are sending a
              >> wrong message though.
              > Dmelton and Trevor, thank you for the responses. We're in the
              > process of making the tank brackish according to suggested
              > guidelines for a medium/large puffer. Picking up a medium
              > sized one at a reputable local LFS.
              >
              > I was hoping to keep live plants in there... are java/ribbon/lace
              > fern ok in brackish water?
              >
              > Mary

            • Mary L
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7 7:19 PM
                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Holyoak <trevor@...> wrote:

                > Keep in mind that brackish water is not made by adding rock salt (as
                > many web sites advise). Brackish water is diluted marine water. This
                > site has some good advice, including plants and other fish:
                > http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

                Trevor, thank you. That site was incredibly informative.
                We've set up the puffer fish's tank to mimic a brackish river
                set up (inreased aeration & water movement) and it's incredible
                to see the change in the puffer! I'm using Instant Ocean Sea Salt
                (not typical aquarium salt) and using a hydrometer to monitor
                the salinity.

                Mary