newbie w/ Jardini

  • Mary L
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2011
      Fiance just moved in 2 weeks back w/ his 75 gallon freshwater
      tank that's been running for several years currently w/
      7 corydoras, a small pleco, maybe 7 female bettas (not
      certain... they're hiding), 1 stubborn flag
      fish and (up until a week ago) a few rasboras and a lone
      neon that survived the tank's initial cycling.

      As a pre-wedding present to ourselves, we purchased a 6"
      Jardini arowana. Not exactly planned... we'd wanted a silver
      arowana for a while but stumbled across a new pet store
      that not only had dozens of them (for $15 each) direct from
      China but also happened to carry ONE gorgeous Jardini we'd
      never seen sold anywhere else around here.
      First thing it did upon being introduced to the tank: gobbled
      up one more-curious-than-smart female betta right in front of
      our eyes.

      First, we can't tell if it's a male or a female. My daughter
      just started calling it a girl. How can you tell the difference
      if a Jardini is male or female?

      Two...we were told it would eat flake/pellet food fine but since
      we got it, it hadn't touched either, nor will it go near
      frozen food. Is having the live fish around just too
      tempting as food? It is ignoring the pleco and cories...
      the rest of the surviving (so far) fish have largely gone
      into hiding (we have large clumps of java moss attached to
      drift wood in there). Which is fine for us... the Jardini is
      just too awesome... that tank is hers. But we'd like for it
      to take some kind of pellet or frozen food, too... just not
      sure how to get it to take it. Is there a particular
      brand of pellet food they prefer best?

      P.S. Yes, am aware she will easily outgrow that tank.
      Wondering what size tank would we need to get eventually.

      Thank you in advance for any help :).

      Mary, NJ
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2011
        Mary,

        Jardini Arowana (Scleropages jardini) may occasionally be "coaxed" into eating pellets by starving it for a few days, but still, it's as likely not to eat pellets after this time yet at a risk to its health. As for flake food . . . extremely doubtful. All members of this family are carnivores, and then, they are known piscivores -- eating mainly fish (and preferably live fish), although still being opportunists and consuming anything else living that will fit into its cavernous mouth . . . and their appetite only grows with its size.

        As you're aware that it will outgrow its present tank, you may not be aware that it will easily reach at least 36" and will need a minimum of a 150 gallon tank. Many erroneous websites will report the size for this species as only reaching a maximum of 24", but this is simply wrong.

        Not only as having live fish around just too tempting as food, but it is this species main fare for its dinner table. Possibly the only reason why this fish has not yet attempted to Pleco and Cories yet, aside from these latter fish being bottom dwellers while the various "arowana" species are top-water fish, is because of the formidable spines these catfish possess. Once your Jardini figures out that the spines will pose much less of a danger when these catfish are swallowed head-first, these catfish may not be long for this aquarium they're in. Your other fish in hiding may not be swimming very much longer, if the Jardini catches on to them and hunts them down -- they are not safe in with her at all.

        Ray

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Mary L" <soragne@...> wrote:

        > Fiance just moved in 2 weeks back w/ his 75 gallon freshwater
        > tank that's been running for several years currently w/
        > 7 corydoras, a small pleco, maybe 7 female bettas (not
        > certain... they're hiding), 1 stubborn flag
        > fish and (up until a week ago) a few rasboras and a lone
        > neon that survived the tank's initial cycling.
        >
        > As a pre-wedding present to ourselves, we purchased a 6"
        > Jardini arowana. Not exactly planned... we'd wanted a silver
        > arowana for a while but stumbled across a new pet store
        > that not only had dozens of them (for $15 each) direct from
        > China but also happened to carry ONE gorgeous Jardini we'd
        > never seen sold anywhere else around here.
        > First thing it did upon being introduced to the tank: gobbled
        > up one more-curious-than-smart female betta right in front of
        > our eyes.
        >
        > First, we can't tell if it's a male or a female. My daughter
        > just started calling it a girl. How can you tell the difference
        > if a Jardini is male or female?
        >
        > Two...we were told it would eat flake/pellet food fine but since
        > we got it, it hadn't touched either, nor will it go near
        > frozen food. Is having the live fish around just too
        > tempting as food? It is ignoring the pleco and cories...
        > the rest of the surviving (so far) fish have largely gone
        > into hiding (we have large clumps of java moss attached to
        > drift wood in there). Which is fine for us... the Jardini is
        > just too awesome... that tank is hers. But we'd like for it
        > to take some kind of pellet or frozen food, too... just not
        > sure how to get it to take it. Is there a particular
        > brand of pellet food they prefer best?
        >
        > P.S. Yes, am aware she will easily outgrow that tank.
        > Wondering what size tank would we need to get eventually.
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any help :).
        >
        > Mary, NJ

      • Mary L
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2011
          Ray, thank you for your prompt response!

          We are in the market looking to set up a tank 180gal (likely bigger
          as I like the idea of more water=more stable tank)
          in the near future so a larger home for the Jardini isn't going to
          be an issue. If she should live long enough to grow to 3 feet
          long, she'll be our pride and joy :) (I am guessing at this
          point on the gender).

          Some point before the wedding (in about a month), we're bringing
          "home" his 35 gallon and moving the cories and a couple of
          big flower shrimp (all 4 have managed to avoid being
          eaten by hiding in the large drift wood piece... though not
          for long so they'll be moved). The bettas and the flag fish
          can go. The pleco is already
          the same size as the Jardini. Would the Jardini go after
          fish larger than her or her size? We're wondering as we're
          also thinking of acquiring a bichir some point down the line
          and if it's safe for it to be in the same tank.

          Has anyone here set up a "feeder" breeding tank for their
          carnivorous fish? If so could you describe your set up?
          Am considering convict cichlids.

          P.S. This is what happens when 2 fish-philes get married :)

          Mary, NJ
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2011
            Mary,

            As for my "prompt" response, I just wish my messages were as prompt in being moderated and posted as compared to when they are first sent. There was probably about a 12 hour delay in this message being posted. Just too bad that some of us are still seen as being needed to be moderated.

            Anyhow, I'm glad to see you're already making plans to upsize your Jardini's housing quarters. It's extremely doubtful that she will ever attempt to go after your Pleco, since the catfish is a large-bodied fish which -- if it's one of the common Pleco's -- will reach at least 18". On the other hand, there are many species of Bichirs, each growing to various lengths, which your Jardini will sooner or later reach a much larger size than, when considering that Bichirs are long, but small-bodied eel-like fish which could possibly be seen as a tempting meal.

            I'm not saying that your Jardini will definitely see a Bichir as a meal, but as a much smaller Bichir might easily be swallowed by the Jardini, this possibility remains. As for her going after a fish equal to or larger than her, it's not a common behavior of this fish to exhibit. It's not known to go after such larger fish so there is little risk in such an occurance -- but you must need to consider the eventual size of her when she's full grown, as opposed to other fish which won't reach near her size even if started out at the same length now. Quite often though, when fish are raised together -- even fish of very different sizes, with one being a known piscavore --they are generally seen as just "tankmates" towards one another and not seen as a potential meal, but then, Jardini do have large appetites and they may not behave within this generality.

            To put it bluntly, unless you know the eventual size of the Bichir you're planning on, it should not be tempted since it's impossible to know to trust her otherwise since some Bichir species will remain only 1/3 the length of a grown Jardini when they're full grown.

            Best wishes on your upcoming wedding, and for a happy life together,

            Ray

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Mary L" <soragne@...> wrote:

            > Ray, thank you for your prompt response!
            >
            > We are in the market looking to set up a tank 180gal (likely bigger
            > as I like the idea of more water=more stable tank)
            > in the near future so a larger home for the Jardini isn't going to
            > be an issue. If she should live long enough to grow to 3 feet
            > long, she'll be our pride and joy :) (I am guessing at this
            > point on the gender).
            >
            > Some point before the wedding (in about a month), we're bringing
            > "home" his 35 gallon and moving the cories and a couple of
            > big flower shrimp (all 4 have managed to avoid being
            > eaten by hiding in the large drift wood piece... though not
            > for long so they'll be moved). The bettas and the flag fish
            > can go. The pleco is already
            > the same size as the Jardini. Would the Jardini go after
            > fish larger than her or her size? We're wondering as we're
            > also thinking of acquiring a bichir some point down the line
            > and if it's safe for it to be in the same tank.
            >
            > Has anyone here set up a "feeder" breeding tank for their
            > carnivorous fish? If so could you describe your set up?
            > Am considering convict cichlids.
            >
            > P.S. This is what happens when 2 fish-philes get married :)
            >
            > Mary, NJ

          • Mary L
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <sevenspringss@...> wrote:
              > I just wish my messages were as prompt in being moderated
              > and posted as compared to when they are first sent. There
              > was probably about a 12 hour delay in this message being
              > posted. Just too bad that some of us are still seen as
              > being needed to be moderated.

              Having moderated groups in the past, I can understand why.
              I think as long as no one posts an "emergency" message
              it should be ok :).

              An employee at a local LFS suggested feeding nightcrawlers
              to the arowana instead. He insisted his (silver) arowana
              is well over 3 feet long and he's had it for 5 years now.
              Is this any safer?

              > To put it bluntly, unless you know the eventual size of
              > the Bichir you're planning on, it should not be tempted
              > since it's impossible to know to trust her otherwise
              > since some Bichir species will remain only 1/3 the
              > length of a grown Jardini when they're full grown.

              Note definitely taken. We do want bichirs and an assortment
              of ancistrus so whatever is safest for them all... we're
              going to need more tanks :).

              > Best wishes on your upcoming wedding, and for a happy life together,

              Thank you, Ray :). Wedding on Friday. I'm more worried about
              our finned babies during the honeymoon than anything else LOL.

              Mary