Hi were new,what a mess we have.

  • coloradoyouthclub
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2011
      Hi from Arkansas, we have a 300 gallon fresh water fish tank, 7'L X 2'D X 2'T ,
      ( will post pics later ) , It used to be a salt but had to switch to freshwater ( bad location for salt fish tank ) we need lots of help RE-setting up the tank we have two big tanks
      the big one is kicking my a_ _!, 250gal plus two 35 gal tanks underneath with bio ball's about 300 gal,of water, its bin over a week and its still killing the starter gold fish,and its still cloudy. things we changed in this tank. #1- I did add some petrified rocks we found in the desert in AZ,we did wash them off first with a plain water , #2- some fake plants, we used Kitchen & Bath silicone let it dry 4- 24 hrs to hold the plants to the rocks- to some of the old rocks we had in the tank be for, #3- took some of the water from our 135gal smaller tank out side - about ( 75 gallons ) to help with set up- for the bacteria, also used
      1- 4 oz of ( STRES ZYME ) a dual action bacteria
      2- small amount of ( AmQuel+plus )
      3- also used some ( Jungle -- START RIGHT )
      4- and have used ( Aqua Safe )
      after !/3 water change, OK, I may be rushing thing on set up , but this tank was all-ways trouble free,it was an aw-sum set-up, it had 79 fish in it all large 1- 24" Parana the biggest I could hold, I would pet most the fish, it was a cool tank, , the rest, all sizes , from 18" down to 6" . lost the hole tank , a real bad storm power loss, so starting all over and not doing good at all, can any-one help sort this mess out and save me from killing more fish in start-up THANKS ,hope you can reed this all and make heads or tales of it
    • coloradoyouthclub
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2011
        HEY to all!! also we add 20 3" to 5" gold fish at the start just 4 days after set-up,my-bad, and some pics are up now, and we have a good size pond fully stocked , It's about 185 feet X 85 feet about 8 feet deep more or less rainy days its bigger,like now about 10 feet deep, LOL - hey we like fish lots of bass, good sized , and even bigger cat fish hooked a 3footer one day last year, barb-less hooks only, catch and releas back into the pond, will add pics of the pond later too,we have ducks out there too,its all good here,O about the snakes? LOL, copper-heads- an- cotten mouths,water mockasins, don't ask don't tell. good day to all

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "coloradoyouthclub" <coloradoyouthclub@...> wrote:

        > Hi from Arkansas, we have a 300 gallon fresh water fish tank, 7'L X 2'D X 2'T ,
        > ( will post pics later ) , It used to be a salt but had to switch to freshwater ( bad location for salt fish tank ) we need lots of help RE-setting up the tank we have two big tanks
        > the big one is kicking my a_ _!, 250gal plus two 35 gal tanks underneath with bio ball's about 300 gal,of water, its bin over a week and its still killing the starter gold fish,and its still cloudy. things we changed in this tank. #1- I did add some petrified rocks we found in the desert in AZ,we did wash them off first with a plain water , #2- some fake plants, we used Kitchen & Bath silicone let it dry 4- 24 hrs to hold the plants to the rocks- to some of the old rocks we had in the tank be for, #3- took some of the water from our 135gal smaller tank out side - about ( 75 gallons ) to help with set up- for the bacteria, also used
        > 1- 4 oz of ( STRES ZYME ) a dual action bacteria
        > 2- small amount of ( AmQuel+plus )
        > 3- also used some ( Jungle -- START RIGHT )
        > 4- and have used ( Aqua Safe )
        > after !/3 water change, OK, I may be rushing thing on set up , but this tank was all-ways trouble free,it was an aw-sum set-up, it had 79 fish in it all large 1- 24" Parana the biggest I could hold, I would pet most the fish, it was a cool tank, , the rest, all sizes , from 18" down to 6" . lost the hole tank , a real bad storm power loss, so starting all over and not doing good at all, can any-one help sort this mess out and save me from killing more fish in start-up THANKS ,hope you can reed this all and make heads or tales of it

      • Jimmie R Davis

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2011
              On 4/21/2011 1:35 PM, coloradoyouthclub wrote:
              > 250gal plus two 35 gal tanks underneath with bio ball's about 300 gal,of water, its bin over a week and its still killing the starter gold fish,and its still cloudy
              When you reset the tank, did you remove the bioballs and clean them, as
              well as the sump, of any accumulated organic material? Have you checked
              the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
              As to the fish, don't use them to cycle the tank. Feeder goldfish can
              carry parasites that will be introduced to the tank, so are not a good
              choice. And fish are not even needed to cycle your tank. Get yourself a
              kit that contains test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, along with
              a bottle of plain old ammonia (no perfumes or anything else added). See
              http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php . You can also use
              BioSpira, which will cycle the tank almost instantly (I use this product
              a lot).
              > #1- I did add some petrified rocks we found in the desert in AZ,we did wash them off first with a plain water
              Should not be a problem.
              > , #2- some fake plants, we used Kitchen& Bath silicone let it dry 4- 24 hrs to hold the plants to the rocks
              I'd remove any of these from the tank. Some silicon products, like GE
              Kitchen And Bath Silicone II, contain mold inhibitors which may be
              toxic to fish.
              > - to some of the old rocks we had in the tank be for,
              Are these calcarious rocks? Tuffa, "live" rock, and the like should not
              be used.
              > #3- took some of the water from our 135gal smaller tank out side - about ( 75 gallons ) to help with set up- for the bacteria, also used
              O.k. Will not hurt, but I'm not sure how helpful it would be. The
              bacteria you want to culture are usually found in significant numbers on
              solid surfaces, not so much as free-floaters.
              > 1- 4 oz of ( STRES ZYME ) a dual action bacteria
              > 2- small amount of ( AmQuel+plus )
              > 3- also used some ( Jungle -- START RIGHT )
              Will not hurt, but I'm not sure how helpful these are.
              > 4- and have used ( Aqua Safe )
              O.K.
              > after 1/3 water change, OK, I may be rushing thing on set up , but this tank was all-ways trouble free,it was an aw-sum set-up,
              But this incarnation has just been set up, and has probably not even
              cycled yet. This might account for the cloudiness. Don't rush things.
              Let the tank cycle on its own. Once the cycle is finished, the tank
              will be much more stable than it is now.

              Frank
            • coloradoyouthclub
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                I want to Thank you guys, we used the wrong silicone, thanks for your help in this matter,OK starting over new water, removed all rocks and plants with ( Kitchen & Bath silicone )
                now have 100% silicone, alls good now it seems, PH was low add 3 teespons backing soda, now - Ammonia 0.25 - Nitrite 0ppm -
                PH 7.2 - Nitrate5.0 ppm-.
                were thinking about going with African-Cichlid, set 6 real small ones ( 1 1/2" ) in the tank last night all good today thanks , SO , Kitchen & Bath silicone bad!!! that was a hard lesson! now have to get new plants and rocks ? or can we boil the rocks and fake plants? after Kitchen & Bath silicone was removed from all the fish tanks ,-I for-got we had some in the smaller tank as well, all the fish doing grate to-day. thanks for your help in my mess-up. Happy Easter to you and yours!

                O and as for the rocks -petrifided rocks- I think they were pine trees a long time-ago.

                grate day to you all

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                  no, we just filled all 3 tanks to top, and then dumped all, and refilled, sprayed it all down with the garden hose and wiped it down, refilled. alls grate today

                  --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:

                  > On 4/21/2011 1:35 PM, coloradoyouthclub wrote:
                  > > 250gal plus two 35 gal tanks underneath with bio ball's about 300 gal,of water, its bin over a week and its still killing the starter gold fish,and its still cloudy
                  > When you reset the tank, did you remove the bioballs and clean them, as
                  > well as the sump, of any accumulated organic material? Have you checked
                  > the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
                  > As to the fish, don't use them to cycle the tank. Feeder goldfish can
                  > carry parasites that will be introduced to the tank, so are not a good
                  > choice. And fish are not even needed to cycle your tank. Get yourself a
                  > kit that contains test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, along with
                  > a bottle of plain old ammonia (no perfumes or anything else added). See
                  > http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php . You can also use
                  > BioSpira, which will cycle the tank almost instantly (I use this product
                  > a lot).
                  > > #1- I did add some petrified rocks we found in the desert in AZ,we did wash them off first with a plain water
                  > Should not be a problem.
                  > > , #2- some fake plants, we used Kitchen& Bath silicone let it dry 4- 24 hrs to hold the plants to the rocks
                  > I'd remove any of these from the tank. Some silicon products, like GE
                  > Kitchen And Bath Silicone II, contain mold inhibitors which may be
                  > toxic to fish.
                  > > - to some of the old rocks we had in the tank be for,
                  > Are these calcarious rocks? Tuffa, "live" rock, and the like should not
                  > be used.
                  > > #3- took some of the water from our 135gal smaller tank out side - about ( 75 gallons ) to help with set up- for the bacteria, also used
                  > O.k. Will not hurt, but I'm not sure how helpful it would be. The
                  > bacteria you want to culture are usually found in significant numbers on
                  > solid surfaces, not so much as free-floaters.
                  > > 1- 4 oz of ( STRES ZYME ) a dual action bacteria
                  > > 2- small amount of ( AmQuel+plus )
                  > > 3- also used some ( Jungle -- START RIGHT )
                  > Will not hurt, but I'm not sure how helpful these are.
                  > > 4- and have used ( Aqua Safe )
                  > O.K.
                  > > after 1/3 water change, OK, I may be rushing thing on set up , but this tank was all-ways trouble free,it was an aw-sum set-up,
                  > But this incarnation has just been set up, and has probably not even
                  > cycled yet. This might account for the cloudiness. Don't rush things.
                  > Let the tank cycle on its own. Once the cycle is finished, the tank
                  > will be much more stable than it is now.
                  >
                  > Frank

                • coloradoyouthclub
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                    hey thanks we will go slower this time but we still would like to use them -if we can, going to bake the rocks- to about 350 to 400 , for 3 hrs just to be extra safe, boiled them for 2hrs med high heat, yesterday let stand for 24 hrs, well all my tested levels- are good today, and my fish are finely looking happy, my tank looks funny with-out the plants and rocks, but it's nice and clear, thanks,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                      On 4/24/2011 12:05 PM, coloradoyouthclub wrote:
                      > now have to get new plants and rocks ? or can we boil the rocks and fake plants?

                      Don't boil either. It won't help, and might destroy the fake plants.
                      Once you remove the silicon from everything, a quick rinse should do it.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                        On 4/24/2011 1:25 PM, coloradoyouthclub wrote:
                        > hey thanks we will go slower this time but we still would like to use them -if we can, going to bake the rocks- to about 350 to 400 , for 3 hrs just to be extra safe, boiled them for 2hrs med high heat,
                        There is no need to bake or boil the rocks. A good scrub and rinse in
                        warm water is sufficient. Boiling/baking rocks can be dangerous as the
                        rock can fracture and send pieces flying, especially if there is air
                        trapped within.

                        Frank
                      • Deb
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 25, 2011
                          Frank: do you still ship fish? I wanted to order cardinals and rummy nose from Hans but he isn't selling them right now due to the problem he had with his discus. thanks. Deborah

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 25, 2011
                            On 4/25/2011 7:25 PM, Deb wrote:
                            > Frank: do you still ship fish? I wanted to order cardinals and rummy nose from Hans but he isn't selling them right now due to the problem he had with his discus. thanks. Deborah
                            Yes, I heard about his problem. Terrible!
                            I do still ship fish, but I'd need to order the fish you want as I don't
                            normally keep them in stock.