Diatom Filter question

  • Joyce
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
      Hi,
      I have a diatom filter. I am having a hard time finding diatom powder locally.
      I know I can order on line, I will as a last resort.
      My question is, I found diatomaceous earth at my local hardware store. It is the same consistency as diatom powder, but it is grey, not white. It is food grade.
      Is it the same stuff? Do they just bleach it and sell it as diatom powder?
      I am kind of hesitant to use it.
      Any thoughts?

      Thanks!
      Joyce
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
        Joyce, I can only imagine that diatomaceous earth found in a hardware store must be for swimming pools as I don't know of any other use for it. As you say that the one you found is food grade, there must be some application for it in that industry too. Normally, it can be found in hot tub, spa and of course swimming pool centers, although I would suspect it's not food grade when offered there.

        Basically, this is all the same stuff. The Diatom Powder sold in aquarium stores for the Diatom filters is advertised to be more highly refined -- this is one major difference. I can't tell you if it is bleached or not, but it would appear so just going by its whiteness.

        There are some larger aquarium stores which use swimming pool filters for their numerous display tanks, with swimming pool grade diatomaceous earth as the medium. Some hobbyist even use swimming pool grade diatomaceous earth with their Diatom filters with good results. One key here is that some swimming pool diatomaceous earth contains chlorine -- which you do not want to use in your aquarium. The label on it should indicate whether it includes this. I doubt food grade diatomaceous earth would have chlorine, but you may want to check out its contents to make sure. Otherwise, go to your swimming pool supplier.

        Ray

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <JSHOWERS@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have a diatom filter. I am having a hard time finding diatom powder locally.
        > I know I can order on line, I will as a last resort.
        > My question is, I found diatomaceous earth at my local hardware store. It is the same consistency as diatom powder, but it is grey, not white. It is food grade.
        > Is it the same stuff? Do they just bleach it and sell it as diatom powder?
        > I am kind of hesitant to use it.
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Joyce

      • bill 1433
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
          Hi Joyce,

          I found out years ago that "other" powder is available to use at least cost.

          I always used the same DE as we used in our swimming pool filter, and
          yes it is snow white!  The best part of it?  The cost for like a 20 lb. bag
          (I never saw it in any smaller container size) ran about $25 dollars!  My only
          caution here is to have ready a large plastic container for after you open the bag.
          As you probably already know, the powder must be kept warm and dry.  Any moisture
          or high humidity will cause the powder to pack or "cake" on you but even at that
          it will still mix well with water.  I have always found it best to pre-mix a new charge for
          the filter rather than just dumping it into the jar.

          Bill
          I have a diatom filter. I am having a hard time finding diatom powder locally.
          I know I can order on line, I will as a last resort.
          My question is, I found diatomaceous earth at my local hardware store. It is the same consistency as diatom powder, but it is grey, not white. It is food grade.
          Is it the same stuff? Do they just bleach it and sell it as diatom powder?
          I am kind of hesitant to use it.
          Any thoughts?

          Thanks!
          Joyce

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              UniQuaria-digest@yahoogroups.com
              UniQuaria-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • seaponey
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
            There is a HUGE difference between food grade DE and swimming pool DE.
            I would NOT use the ones that are not food grade with an aquarium, or with any living creature. The food grade DE doesn't have the other chemicals added, so it is safe for animals. I have not used it in a fish tank, but there is no way I would risk my fish to the one(s) with added chemicals in it.

            Carol ;)
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <JSHOWERS@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I have a diatom filter. I am having a hard time finding diatom powder locally.
              > I know I can order on line, I will as a last resort.
              > My question is, I found diatomaceous earth at my local hardware store. It is the same consistency as diatom powder, but it is grey, not white. It is food grade.
              > Is it the same stuff? Do they just bleach it and sell it as diatom powder?
              > I am kind of hesitant to use it.
              > Any thoughts?
              Hi Joyce. Since it's food grade, it's probably safe to use. You can also
              go to a store that sells swimming pools, and pick up DE powder there. We
              buy it that way at work since it comes in large bags and we use swimming
              pool sized diatom filters, which take a lot of powder. Never had a problem.