Re: [UniQuaria] LED lights

    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 14, 2010
      On 9/14/2010 5:43 PM, Marcelo Banderas wrote:
      Hello all,
      Does anyone have a full LED light system?  I'm curious about how well they work and any info would be great.
      Hi Marcelo. We have them over some new exhibit tanks (1500 to 8000 gallons). We originally had two LED fixtures (not sure of the number of LED's, but there were quite a few. I'll get the exact number) installed over two 1500 gallon planted tanks, but they did not provide enough light. We went over to metal halide on those tanks (these tanks are 4' deep). For the tanks that had no live plants, LED lighting seems to be working well.  The Malawi cichlid tank (around 5000 gallons and about 6 feet deep) is lit using four four foot LED fixtures, and it looks great. The Amazonia tank (8000 gallons, about 6 feet deep), also with four of these fixtures, looks dim (probably due to the greater front to back depth and darker gravel). We're going to add two more LED fixtures to brighten up the tank a bit.
      Personally, I would not use them on a planted tank unless the tank was very shallow. Otherwise, for general lighting, these fixtures seem to work well providing you have a good number of LED's.

      Frank
    • Marcelo Banderas
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 17, 2010
        Thanks Frank and Giancarlo!  Right niw i have two 15 wat standatd florecent bulbs on my tank. They do ok, but i just don't think it's enough. I'll check out the site that Frank recomended. Thanks again!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 16, 2010, at 5:51 PM, "GiancarloP" <tuvy72@...> wrote:

        Marcelo,

        What is the reason for desiring LED fixtures? I have setup a couple planted tank and reefs with them and to be honest they are still in their infancy for our purpose, I've had to replace drivers, modules and even then the overall quality of the light is questionable... There are true full spectrum LEDs on the market, unfortunately very few products carry these, it's more common to see a mixture of monochromatic LED modules to acchieve the desired color, but spectrum suffers greatly as a result. No doubt this is where the future is going to be, just not quite there yet in my opinion, specially considering the current prices due to their novelty status. There are some very good units around but you will pay an arm and a leg for them and they will be surpassed in a year with cheaper solutions...

        Right now the best buys are T5 fixtures. Two 54W T5 bulbs on a 55g work pretty well... use a fixture with adjustable legs in case you need to raise it to lower the intensity. Two 39W T5 bulbs can also work well for a less demanding setup...

        What do you currently have on it?

        Giancarlo Podio