LED lights

  • Marcelo Banderas
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 14, 2010
      Hello all,
      Does anyone have a full LED light system?  I'm curious about how well they work and any info would be great.

      Thanks,
      Marcelo

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:24 PM, "GiancarloP" <tuvy72@...> wrote:

      Marcelo, this is somewhat sounding similar to a potassium deficiency.. . potassium is a mobile element meaning a plant can "move" the element from old leaves to feed the new, this is why the older leaves are effected more so than new growth. In a potassium deficient plant we usually see holes in the older leaves, these start off as pinholes and slowly get bigger as the days go by.

      PFertz N is diluted KNO3 and urea... 5% of it is potassium so I would not expect to see a huge deficiency in potassium, but if it's a CO2 enriched, fast growing tank with a large plant mass, it could be consuming it at a faster pace. What is your NO3 level in general?

      Also, do any other plants in the tank have any similar signs or perhaps curled leaves or deformed growth of any kind? How often do you perform a water change and how much is changed each time? Do you have any Hygrophilla in the tank? (These tend to show potassium deficiencies very early on)

      Here's what I would attempt to do without knowing any more on your tank:

      - If the NO3 level is below 10ppm, try increasing to 4-5 squirts of PFertz N for a month and see if anything improves. Keep an eye on your nitrate levels and perhaps keep it under 20ppm if it ever gets that high.

      - If NO3 is already 10-20ppm as is, you may want to try a straight potassium supplement, either K2SO4 or PFertz K.

      Generally speaking, when KNO3 is used for nitrates one rarely needs to add potassium on it's own, but where fish load is high and other factors that contribute to the nitrate level come into play, we can run into such a deficiency. Keep in mind that Flourish Tabs contain a minute amount of potassium, next to nothing.

      Anything you try, give it 3 weeks at least before evaluating the outcome.

      Hope that helps, keep us posted!
      Giancarlo Podio

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@ ...> wrote:

      > I have a 55 gal tank, i fertilize my substrate with flourish tabs every couple months (the package says up to 3 between doses, i use 20 tabs at at time). daily i do two capfulls of excel and 3 squits each of pferts N (nitrogen) and M (micronutrients) .  2x a week i do 2 capfulls of flourish.  the holes in the leaves are pretty big it looks like older leaves are the only ones affected, but in the past when a leaf has died on the plant it has just turned brown, not holey.  the leaves that are holey are still look nice and green (except for the holes)
      >
      > marcelo

    • Marcelo Banderas
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 17, 2010
        Thanks Frank and Giancarlo!  Right niw i have two 15 wat standatd florecent bulbs on my tank. They do ok, but i just don't think it's enough. I'll check out the site that Frank recomended. Thanks again!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 16, 2010, at 5:51 PM, "GiancarloP" <tuvy72@...> wrote:

        Marcelo,

        What is the reason for desiring LED fixtures? I have setup a couple planted tank and reefs with them and to be honest they are still in their infancy for our purpose, I've had to replace drivers, modules and even then the overall quality of the light is questionable... There are true full spectrum LEDs on the market, unfortunately very few products carry these, it's more common to see a mixture of monochromatic LED modules to acchieve the desired color, but spectrum suffers greatly as a result. No doubt this is where the future is going to be, just not quite there yet in my opinion, specially considering the current prices due to their novelty status. There are some very good units around but you will pay an arm and a leg for them and they will be surpassed in a year with cheaper solutions...

        Right now the best buys are T5 fixtures. Two 54W T5 bulbs on a 55g work pretty well... use a fixture with adjustable legs in case you need to raise it to lower the intensity. Two 39W T5 bulbs can also work well for a less demanding setup...

        What do you currently have on it?

        Giancarlo Podio