[UniQuaria] Strange discovery in Planted discus tank

  • akhil akhil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 6 KB
    Hi All,

    Last day iave noticed a very small Hydra like creature in my planted discus tank. It is very small, i could'nt take a sanp of it. I pictured it on MS Paint. Please advice if its good or bad to be in discus tank....If its bad, how to eradicate it?????

    please check the attached picture.

    Thanks,
    Akhil.

  • himanshu kudav
    Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
      Hi Akhil

      It may be PLANARIA. The best soultion is to reduce feeding as excess feed or uneaten food invites or breeds planaria. But these worms are not harmful for fishes except for eggs. So if you have breeding discus or any egglaying fishes in your tank it is not good.

      Clean the gravel, frequent water change and only enough food for fishes will solve your problem.

      Cheers
      Himanshu

      Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2010
        Hi Himanshu,

        I dont have any breeding discus pairs as of now......but these creatures have also become food for my discus.....is it good for my discus???? i have noticed almost 5 of them now and also have seen the discus eating them....

        To clean the gravel, i think its not possible coz...the entire foreground is covered with baby tears (cuba) and any how the shrimps will eat the left overs so I dont have the problem to clean up the left over food......any other idea to eradicate planarias???

        Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2010
          Hi Akhil

          Its good that discus are taking care of it. To avoid breedig o0f these worms, keep control over feeding. Excess feeding and left over food will multiply these worms. If gravel cleaning is not possible then it is best to control the feeding and removing the excess and left over food.

          Check the following link