Re: [UniQuaria] Reverse Osmosis Installation

  • Lainey Alexander
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2010
      Susanne -

      You must use either Seachem Equilibrium, Kent RO Right or similar amendments for the RO - RO on its own is not safe for fish...These amendments will add back the necessary minerals to stabilize the water. If you don't use them, the RO is likely to spike right back up to pH nine, all the way from six which is where it would start. This is what happened to me...

      Best wishes,

      On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:10 PM, SAPRESS (2nd lvl) wrote:

      Hallo everyone,
      popping up out of lurkerdom to ask if anyone can direct me to a video
      installation of a reverse osmosis system.
      I have newly bought Dennerle's system and am reading the instructions,
      but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
      Also, any tips and tricks from anyone using reverse osmosis?
      I have a 300L tank with South American fish. Before my move, I had GH
      6, KH 2, pH 4.5. After my move, I have GH 25, KH 8, pH 9.
      I also have an algae problem the likes of which I have never seen
      before, but that's another story for another post. First, I think I
      really need to get this filter set up.
      The fish are grimly hanging on.
      Any help appreciated.
      Cheers,
      Susanne

    • Jimmie R Davis

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2010

          Hello all,

          3 of my discus died.  . 1st one was the leapord skin...it was doing fine suddenly found a bulge in its stomach...it swam very oddly and died within minutes....later the marlboro it was doing fine last weekend night and next day morning found it dead on anubias. then blue turqoise...observed that this guy was breathing fast and like swiming under water surface.....may be for more oxygen....removed him from main tank and quarentined him. he made it till 2 days and died....and when he died....he became complete white color...lost 100% of his color. i have now medicated the tank and have done complete water change. Ph, nitrate, water temp...everything is perfect....dont know what the mystery behind these deaths......now i have red map, pegeon blood, leapord skin, blue turqoise and a marlboro......please advice me if there is anything else i can do to save my loved ones.....

          thanks all
          Akhil.

        • Himanshu
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2010
            Hi Akhil
            This may be due to food poison or over feeding and if all parameters are perfect. Don't feed excess it is better to keep discus lillte hungry than over feeding. Also check what are you feeding them. Tetrabits are good or frozen red worms. The water must be crystal clear with all parameters in place. All the best. Himanshu

            Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
              Hi Akhil: so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a couple of my discus a few months ago and was also sad. You say your params are ok? nitrite?? what do you keep your temp at? how often water changes? I find the water changes are the biggest thing to keep my babies healthy. I would up the temperature and add salt. I sometimes wonder about meds. I have yet had any that have really helped my fish when they are sick. good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help. Deborah

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, akhil akhil <akhilennium@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > 3 of my discus died.  . 1st one was the leapord skin...it was doing fine suddenly found a bulge in its stomach...it swam very oddly and died within minutes....later the marlboro it was doing fine last weekend night and next day morning found it dead on anubias. then blue turqoise...observed that this guy was breathing fast and like swiming under water surface.....may be for more oxygen....removed him from main tank and quarentined him. he made it till 2 days and died....and when he died....he became complete white color...lost 100% of his color. i have now medicated the tank and have done complete water change. Ph, nitrate, water temp...everything is perfect....dont know what the mystery behind these deaths......now i have red map, pegeon blood, leapord skin, blue turqoise and a marlboro......please advice me if there is anything else i can do to save my loved ones.....
              >

              > thanks all
              > Akhil.
              >

              > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/

            • akhil akhil
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2010
                Hi Deb,

                Well i bought one pair of blue diamond and one marlboro to fill the loss. they are doing good now. Water changes is the key point of discus health. I neglected this once and faced the consequences. Now I learnt the lession. Any discus owner SHOULD FOLLOW this step. Dont change the water, pay the price. Well now i change water for once a week. Water temp is at 75-85. removed all the plants from the tank as of now.

                thanks,
                Akhil.

                Hi Akhil: so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a couple of my discus a few months ago and was also sad. You say your params are ok? nitrite?? what do you keep your temp at? how often water changes? I find the water changes are the biggest thing to keep my babies healthy. I would up the temperature and add salt. I sometimes wonder about meds. I have yet had any that have really helped my fish when they are sick. good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help. Deborah

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, akhil akhil <akhilennium@ ...> wrote:

                > Hello all,
                >
                > 3 of my discus died.  . 1st one was the leapord skin...it was doing fine suddenly found a bulge in its stomach...it swam very oddly and died within minutes....later the marlboro it was doing fine last weekend night and next day morning found it dead on anubias. then blue turqoise...observed that this guy was breathing fast and like swiming under water surface..... may be for more oxygen....removed him from main tank and quarentined him. he made it till 2 days and died....and when he died....he became complete white color...lost 100% of his color. i have now medicated the tank and have done complete water change. Ph, nitrate, water temp...everything is perfect....dont know what the mystery behind these deaths...... now i have red map, pegeon blood, leapord skin, blue turqoise and a marlboro.... ..please advice me if there is anything else i can do to save my loved ones.....
                >

                > thanks all
                > Akhil.
                >

                > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo. com/

              • GiancarloP
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Hello Susanne,

                  There seems to be a few installation videos on Youtube, here's one for example:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoKWMDtnUIU

                  I also had made this diagram for someone else installing a system under the sink to act as both aquarium and drinking use:
                  http://www.gpodio.com/posts/ro_plumbing1.jpg
                  PS. You don't want to drink RO directly, it needs to be replenished of minerals and such... good for mixing ice-tea and stuff...

                  Anyway, if you have questions please ask, it should be easy, usually just a line to a water source, one to a waste drain and another is the RO output... If you can, send us a link to the model you purchased, it may help seeing the unit to get an idea as some look different than others.

                  As for using RO water, in your case you will likely just need to cut your tap water with RO so no additives are likely needed. Experiment with a 5 gallon bucket, start with 50:50 mixture and see what KH/GH you get, you can ignore PH, you need to match KH primarily as that will dictate the PH, GH can be a little different than you originally had but you can try to get close. If needed, you can use baking soda to raise KH and Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH, but again you should be able to do without either once you find the right mixture of tap and RO water to use.

                  Let us know how you make out
                  Giancarlo Podio

                  --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "SAPRESS (2nd lvl)" <sapress@...> wrote:

                  > Hallo everyone,
                  > popping up out of lurkerdom to ask if anyone can direct me to a video
                  > installation of a reverse osmosis system.
                  > I have newly bought Dennerle's system and am reading the instructions,
                  > but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
                  > Also, any tips and tricks from anyone using reverse osmosis?
                  > I have a 300L tank with South American fish. Before my move, I had GH
                  > 6, KH 2, pH 4.5. After my move, I have GH 25, KH 8, pH 9.
                  > I also have an algae problem the likes of which I have never seen
                  > before, but that's another story for another post. First, I think I
                  > really need to get this filter set up.
                  > The fish are grimly hanging on.
                  > Any help appreciated.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Susanne

                • GiancarloP
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
                    This is true if using only RO water... Assuming the tap water in question does not contain anything very bad in it and that the dilution by cutting it with RO will sufficiently reduce any impurities it contains, there should be little need to replenish minerals as they are abundant in the tap water we're trying to dilute. If for any reason you need to use only RO and eliminate tap water then you'll need such products to reconstitute the RO water.

                    As for the PH of RO water, it is pointless trying to measure it as without any carbonates in the water it is highly unstable. But it won't spring back to a high PH unless carbonates are added, what you may have witnessed was the acidity of RO water having sped up the leaching of carbonates from your gravel, a rock or other calcium-based decoration in the tank. You wouldn't be able to obtain a PH above neutral without carbonates, even in it's unstable state when the water is at it's purest...

                    When working with RO water and/or trying to modify water to meet a certain target, it's usually best to use KH rather than PH. Two waters of the same KH will always result in the same PH once in the same environment. Two waters of the same PH may not have the same KH and will differ in PH after a short time.

                    Giancarlo Podio