Re: Angel fish Behavior

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
      That is very strange that she would spawn with all three. I have never heard of that. I have had two females together and had to separate them as they were going to kill each other. It can happen with them, also. Most angels will pair with one male and stay that way. how can you tell the "males" were different ones? Anyways two females will be just as agressive towards each other. Deborah

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@...> wrote:

      > I know i have 2 males, because I started with 3.  The female paired up with each male once to lay eggs. The 2 males fighting escalted, so I rehomed the female thinking that the 2 males may get along without the female.  (I wasnt into the whole egg laying thing or I would have rehomed one of the males to begin with.)
      > So that is how I know  I have 2 males. I think I will definitley send one of the males to live with the female. I will keep the submissive one.  he is a black  lace veil tail and just gorgeous.
      > thanks for sharing your experience. that helps,
      > Lisa
      >

      > Be who you are and say what you feel,
      > because those who mind don't matter
      > and those who matter don't mind.
      > -Dr. Seuss

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
        Even angel fish experts have a hard time figuring out male or female unless their tubes are out. even then I had a hard time distinguising them.

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "William M" <dreammaker2623@...> wrote:

        > Did any eggs hatch after mating with the female? If not then you might still have a female that is acting like a male. Also when they were spawning did you observe the breeding tubes? You would notice the difference in the size and shape while they were spawning.
        >
        > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I know i have 2 males, because I started with 3.  The female paired up with each male once to lay eggs. The 2 males fighting escalted, so I rehomed the female thinking that the 2 males may get along without the female.  (I wasnt into the whole egg laying thing or I would have rehomed one of the males to begin with.)
        > > So that is how I know  I have 2 males. I think I will definitley send one of the males to live with the female. I will keep the submissive one.  he is a black  lace veil tail and just gorgeous.
        > > thanks for sharing your experience. that helps,
        > > Lisa
        > >

        > > Be who you are and say what you feel,
        > > because those who mind don't matter
        > > and those who matter don't mind.
        > > -Dr. Seuss

      • Lisa Rambo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
          ok. Here is what I observed happening.  I'll call them colors to identify them.  Tell me what you think.
          Yellow (who I beleived to be the female) seemed to pair with White to protect some eggs. they stayed with the eggs a couple of days and did all the things they were supposed to. Fending off other fishes and fanning them with their fins. After those eggs disappeared about a week or so later. Yellow seemed to pair up with Black on the other end of the tank to watch over another clutch of eggs and Yellow and Black did all the same things. Protecting eggs etc... until the eggs disappeared a couple of days later. So since Yellow did this behavior with both , one on each end of the tank, I assumed Yellow was the female. Does that make sense?
          Lisa

          Be who you are and say what you feel,
          because those who mind don't matter
          and those who matter don't mind.
          -Dr. Seuss

          That is very strange that she would spawn with all three. I have never heard of that. I have had two females together and had to separate them as they were going to kill each other. It can happen with them, also. Most angels will pair with one male and stay that way. how can you tell the "males" were different ones? Anyways two females will be just as agressive towards each other. Deborah

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@ ...> wrote:

          > I know i have 2 males, because I started with 3.  The female paired up with each male once to lay eggs. The 2 males fighting escalted, so I rehomed the female thinking that the 2 males may get along without the female.  (I wasnt into the whole egg laying thing or I would have rehomed one of the males to begin with.)
          > So that is how I know  I have 2 males. I think I will definitley send one of the males to live with the female. I will keep the submissive one.  he is a black  lace veil tail and just gorgeous.
          > thanks for sharing your experience. that helps,
          > Lisa
          >

          > Be who you are and say what you feel,
          > because those who mind don't matter
          > and those who matter don't mind.
          > -Dr. Seuss

        • William M
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
            If the eggs did not hatch within four days then they did not get fertilized which may mean that it is an immature male or a female pairing up with the female. On the other end, did the eggs change color before they disappeared? If not then again they might not have gotten fertilized either by another immature male or another female. Sometimes it may take a few spawns before them male will be able to fertilize the eggs but if it is two females non will ever get fertilized.

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@...> wrote:

            > ok. Here is what I observed happening.  I'll call them colors to identify them.  Tell me what you think.
            > Yellow (who I beleived to be the female) seemed to pair with White to protect some eggs. they stayed with the eggs a couple of days and did all the things they were supposed to. Fending off other fishes and fanning them with their fins. After those eggs disappeared about a week or so later. Yellow seemed to pair up with Black on the other end of the tank to watch over another clutch of eggs and Yellow and Black did all the same things. Protecting eggs etc... until the eggs disappeared a couple of days later. So since Yellow did this behavior with both , one on each end of the tank, I assumed Yellow was the female. Does that make sense?
            > Lisa
          • Lisa Rambo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
              the eggs turned whitish.  I assumed they were not going to hatch because I do not believe my water parameters are amenable for that. And they were only there for 3 days at the most.
              So, a female could pair up with another female and mimic male behavior?

              If the eggs did not hatch within four days then they did not get fertilized which may mean that it is an immature male or a female pairing up with the female. On the other end, did the eggs change color before they disappeared? If not then again they might not have gotten fertilized either by another immature male or another female. Sometimes it may take a few spawns before them male will be able to fertilize the eggs but if it is two females non will ever get fertilized.

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@ ...> wrote:

              > ok. Here is what I observed happening.  I'll call them colors to identify them.  Tell me what you think.
              > Yellow (who I beleived to be the female) seemed to pair with White to protect some eggs. they stayed with the eggs a couple of days and did all the things they were supposed to. Fending off other fishes and fanning them with their fins. After those eggs disappeared about a week or so later. Yellow seemed to pair up with Black on the other end of the tank to watch over another clutch of eggs and Yellow and Black did all the same things. Protecting eggs etc... until the eggs disappeared a couple of days later. So since Yellow did this behavior with both , one on each end of the tank, I assumed Yellow was the female. Does that make sense?
              > Lisa

            • William M
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                Homosexual tendencies occur in other animals beside humans. Yes there are many people that have had two female angelfish (or other species of fish or animals) that have created a pair bond and went through mating and even egg laying. Of course the eggs will not hatch.

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rambo <canineclara@...> wrote:

                > the eggs turned whitish.  I assumed they were not going to hatch because I do not believe my water parameters are amenable for that. And they were only there for 3 days at the most.
                > So, a female could pair up with another female and mimic male behavior?

              • Deb
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2010
                  That is strange because usually another angel will try to eat the others eggs. Like it was said earlier, it could of been another female. So, you can't be sure you have all males. Best thing to do to stop aggression is to separate them. You are right, white eggs are not good and probably not fertilized. You would know if they were as they start growing eyes and by three days they are wiggling. An awesome sight, BTW.