Re: [UniQuaria] Re: Proper Substrate For Planted Tanks

  • shannon barry
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2009
      Thanks for the info and link.  I will not be useing live plants but artifical ones so would you recoment the decrative sand?
                             Shannon

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2009
        Hi Shannon..
        If you can afford the decorative sand I say "Go for it!"
        I have substrates in my planted tanks but I also have 2 tanks that I
        used sand in.
        one with no plants is a goldfish tank..I used the "Orinoco" sand mixed
        with some cheap small grained gravel that I bought locally at the fish
        store.
        Perfect mix for the Comets, and easy to clean.
        Then I put the same mix into my guppy tank and added plants to see if
        they would grow...The plants took over the tank in 2 months. they have
        to be thinned out every few months.
        What I have noticed about the "Orinoco" sand is the smell.
        It has a forest type smell to it, unlike any other sands I have used.
        and the fish love it.
        I highly endorse the decorative sands.
        http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm
        Posted by: "shannon barry"

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2009
          Thank you, Feastofsoul,  for the info it makes go back to the good old rounded gravel I have used with success in the past.