Re: [UniQuaria] Re Cleaning tanks with WHITE vinegar

  • tammy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009

      I use hydroperoide on my tanks and the decorations.  it helps with the algae.  can use instead of the clorox.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
        Correct, if the tank is up and running with fish in it, you can lower the water level and clean the waterline with a sponge/pad soaked in lemon juice or white vinegar to dissolve the buildup. If either get in the tank they will be neutralized by the buffering capacity of the water. Obviously you don't want too much of either getting in the tank as it will temporarily lower the PH of the water. For small tanks, it may just be safer to put the fish in a bucket during the cleaning and perform a water change before putting them back in...

        In my saltwater tank (270 gallons total) I scrub the top frame with a poper towel soaked in vinegar and then rinse it with RO/DI water. Pretty much all goes into the tank but never enough to effect PH.

        Hope that helps
        Giancarlo Podio