Re: Strange fish found in my pond

  • Trevor Holyoak
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 20 KB
    This might be a slightly better picture, although it's from farther back.

    - Trevor
  • Trevor Holyoak
    Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      Interesting. So either someone dropped it in my pond, or my goldfish had
      babies and I didn't notice? My pond isn't very big, so I'd be a little
      surprised if I hadn't noticed any, but I guess anything's possible. :)

      Thanks,
      Trevor

      Frank M. Greco wrote:
      > Trevor Holyoak wrote:
      >
      >> I found this floating in my pond today. I don't recognize it, and I have
      >> no idea where it came from. The only fish I have had in it in recent
      >> years are goldfish, koi, and white clouds, and I don't think this looks
      >> like any of those.
      >>

      > Looks like a goldfish that has reverted back to its natural coloration.
      >
      > Frank

    • Dora Smith
      Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        It's pretty small.   I can see taht it's a small fish.  How about using the zoom feature on your camera:

        If the person who replied to you is correct, researching the natural colors on your kind of goldfish could yield the answer

        Yours,
        Dora Smith
        Austin, TX
        tiggernut24@...
        This might be a slightly better picture, although it's from farther back.

        - Trevor

      • fishlover_james_s
        Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          Looks like a goldfish to me as well. I've had many start out this bronze-brown-black color to later change to orange or even white. If there's one, I'm sure there are more lurking around as well!!!!!!!

          James S.

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Holyoak <trevor@...> wrote:

          > This might be a slightly better picture, although it's from farther back.
          >
          > - Trevor

        • Trevor Holyoak
          Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
            Thanks to both of you! I guess I'll have to keep my eyes out for more.

            - Trevor

            fishlover_james_s wrote:
            > Looks like a goldfish to me as well. I've had many start out this bronze-brown-black color to later change to orange or even white. If there's one, I'm sure there are more lurking around as well!!!!!!!
            >

            > James S.
            >
            > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Holyoak <trevor@...> wrote:
            >
            >> This might be a slightly better picture, although it's from farther back.
            >>
            >> - Trevor

          • Jimmie R Davis
            Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
              I had goldfish breed in a child's 6 ft. wading pond, and didn't know it until the pond leaked and froze.  I found a goldfish/Koi cross that had frozen solid in the ice.  Brought it in and put it in a tank.  About an hour later it was swimming around as if nothing had ever happened.
                                                                                                 Nadine

              Frank M. Greco wrote:
              > Trevor Holyoak wrote:
              >
              >> I found this floating in my pond today. I don't recognize it, and I have
              >> no idea where it came from. The only fish I have had in it in recent
              >> years are goldfish, koi, and white clouds, and I don't think this looks
              >> like any of those.
              >>

              > Looks like a goldfish that has reverted back to its natural coloration.
              >
              > Frank

            • Jimmie R Davis
              Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                Baby goldfish are that color. Most change within a few weeks.
                                                                                            Nadine   At 05:47 PM 8/1/2009, you wrote:

                Looks like a goldfish to me as well. I've had many start out this bronze-brown-black color to later change to orange or even white. If there's one, I'm sure there are more lurking around as well!!!!!!!

                James S.

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com , Trevor Holyoak <trevor@...> wrote:

                > This might be a slightly better picture, although it's from farther back.
                >
                > - Trevor

              • Marcelo
                Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
                  hey guys,
                  i was at one of my LFS yesterday and i found something that was interesting and i wanted to see if any of you had any experience with it.  it was a brine shrimp hatchery that attached to the back of the tank and supposedly let them out into the tank as they hatch/grow and therefore constantly puting live food in your tank.  it had instructions on it as to how to hook it up to your air pump and everything.  it seemed interesting, the guy that worked there said they had just got it in and so had not had a chance to play with it.  anybody see one of these before?  how well do they work?  thanks!

                  marcelo

                  Don't wait, Donate today!!!

                  Help me reach my goal for the Atlanta Breast Cancer 3-Day!

                • harry perry
                  Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
                    I have one. It really does work without the salt water getting into the the tank. The only problem I had was the most aggressive fish camped out at the opening and no one got shrimp but him/her.

                    Harry

                    Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009

                      Frank said:
                      > Looks like a goldfish that has reverted back to its natural coloration.

                      I agree: That's a juvenile goldfish. It's possible the fish died too young to show its adult coloration, but it's also likely that a cross between unrelated parents would produce some offspring with permanent "wild-type" color like that.

                      .Ruben
                    • Jimmie R Davis
                      Message 11 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                        Goldfish and Koi will hybridize too.