hi!

  • starla1977@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
      Hi all!! Can anyone tell me--what is the mystery with mystery snails??
      I dont get to surf often, so if anyone knows of a site that i can go
      right to, please, share it with me.

      I got a mystery snail about one month ago, put it in my 20 gallon, and
      it has doubled in size in a month!!! I am thinking that it is a good
      thing i got him, because obviously there must be a lot for him to eat!
      I was told that they repro only by mating and they can get as big as
      tennis balls...but i want to make sure of this info.

      Thank you all..and i did want to say that i too put something under my
      air pump, currently am using a bunch of folded up paper toweling, and my
      filter is very quiet...so i can hear nuttin but bubbles!

      Jennifer
    • FISH2R@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
        In a message dated 6/1/99 11:27:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        starla1977@... writes:

        > Hi all!! Can anyone tell me--what is the mystery with mystery snails??
        > I dont get to surf often, so if anyone knows of a site that i can go
        > right to, please, share it with me.
        >
        > I got a mystery snail about one month ago, put it in my 20 gallon, and
        > it has doubled in size in a month!!! I am thinking that it is a good
        > thing i got him, because obviously there must be a lot for him to eat!
        > I was told that they repro only by mating and they can get as big as
        > tennis balls...but i want to make sure of this info.
        >
        > Thank you all..and i did want to say that i too put something under my
        > air pump, currently am using a bunch of folded up paper toweling, and my
        > filter is very quiet...so i can hear nuttin but bubbles!
        >
        > Jennifer

        Hello Jennifer;

        The Mystery Snail (or Golden Snail) is another name for the Apple Snail. They
        are called the Apple Snail because they can get as large as an apple. ;~)
        An excellent webpage that covers all sorts of snails is:
        www.thekrib.com/Fish/snail.html

        Hope this helps.

        Tom Bates - LMD
        Allentown, PA USA
      • Carli613@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 1999
          Hi, Jennifer! Aren't snails neat? Alot of people see them as villains but I
          love them...in fact I have a few hundred babies right now!! I was told that
          mystery snails were called that because they do not have an actual name, so
          it is a "mystery" as to what they are! I'm not sure if that's true, it is
          just what I was told when I bought mine. As far as mating they do reproduce
          sexually...and they WILL mate with other kinds of snails, as I found out last
          year when my mystery snail produce children from a union with my ramshorn
          snail. Their children are the ones having babies right now. I did a general
          search on mystery snails and found a pretty decent web site quite quickly.
          but I don't remember the address. Try the general search...there's not a
          whole lot out there, so it won't take long to find some info.
          Enjoy your snails!
          Carli
        • Tasha Cook
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 1999
            ----Original Message Follows----
            From: Carli613@...

[...]
            ---------------------

            I have a question about snails--do they all reproduce sexually, or are some
            asexual? My fish store source told me they all reproduce asexually...sounds
            like he was wrong. "mysteries" and "ramshorns" are obviously sexual, do you
            know the names of a few that are asexual? Thanks! Tasha.

          • Carli613@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 1999
              Hi, Tasha! I was told be my LFS that these were asexual, too, but I found a
              web page showing how they mate, and have caught mine in the act. I have yet
              to find a snail that is truly asexual, though I've been told some are...so
              the answer is "I dunno." BTW, I was also told that snails in general are not
              asexual but hermaphroditic, though there needs to be two to tango. Isn't
              that weird. I kind of wonder if maybe noone really knows...maybe the snails
              are confused and they are actually asexual, they just somehow found out that
              they like to have sex! :) LOL
              I'll try to find out more, but in the meantime if you find out anything let
              me know I'm curious, too.
              Carli
              TN USA