Re: [UniQuaria] Cleaning tank gravel debris?

  • Dora Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
      I have same problem - I find it necessary to change water atleast several times a week, not once a month.   You do not say how much you change.

      Necessary to atleast rinse the filter every week, may need to partially cahnge it mroe than once a month.  I put an extra layer of filter material behind the filter medium in my filter and change it possibly a couple of times a month.

      If gunk has built up in the gravel, it will be necessary to clean it thoroughly, will probably take atleast a 50% water change, b ut main thing is to get into the gravel with one of those gravel cleaning siphons.    You may have to repeat a day or two later.    I usually use a clumping agent to clump the small particles together and make it easier to remove.    Also wait a day and rinse out your filter if you do that .   (Lenny will now jump in and scream.)

      Yours,
      Dora Smith
      Austin, TX
      tiggernut24@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
        For those of you who garden: instead of just 'emptying' the bucket of
        what you've cleaned from your gravel...pour it onto your plants!

        Several years ago, I had a good-sized tank, siphoned the gravel junque
        periodically, and poured it onto my cherry tomato plants.

        We lived at that time in a townhome, so I didn't have very many plants;
        however, I had from a half-pint to an entire pint every morning after I
        began doing that!

        I don't see why it wouldn't work for other plants as well....

        Linda

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Roberta Dvojack <rdvojack@...> wrote:

        > You can use a gravel cleaner that will siphon out the water as you
        run
        > it over the gravel. You can get the kind that is simply a clear
        flexible
        > hose with a wider plastic end that you use as the 'vacuum'. The other
        > end of the hose can be stuck in a bucket that you then haul off and
        > empty. I use this system for my smaller tanks. They are quite
        inexpensive.

        > http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752298

      • Sissy Sathre
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2008
          You can get them from Wal-mart.
          Sissy Sathre
          DBA Aquariums By Sissy
          www.aquariumsbysissy.com
          From: beverly pardue <bmpardue@yahoo. com>
          To: UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com
          Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 5:48 PM

          Hi Cheerful,

          You don't need to worry about the tap water entering your tank if you are only pulling dirty water out (based on my experience with using a Python brand vacuum; other brands may be different). The force/pressure of the tap water is what activates and maintains the suction. The tap water goes out the bottom of the valve and down the drain, along with the dirty water you are pulling out. You can change the valve's position (following the manufacturer' s directions) and then use the Python to add fresh water back in from your tap--if you wish. But since you are using fresh water from a different source, I realize that you won't be doing that. For the first several months of my Python use, I used it only to remove old water, not add new. Once I tried the option of adding new water with the Python I was hooked. It is a tremendous help, especially when you have multiple tanks to change on the same day and don't want to ask for much help from family members.

          Good luck to you,
          Beverly

          Peace, please!