Re: Water changes

  • Giancarlo Podio
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2008
      It does depend :-) For the fish themselves, accumulation of nitrates
      should indicate when a water change is required for the fishs' sake.
      For the plants, that can be an entirely different story! There are many
      approaches to fertilizing and managing a planted tank. Some of them, in
      particular for high light setups, include large water changes in order
      to keep elements from accumulating due to heavy fertilization. The
      following article is a perfect example of one of these methods:
      http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/est_index/est_index1.html

      Water changes also help bring in trace elements so generally speaking
      the more the merrier (assuming your tap water is not problematic). I
      personally do 50% weekly on highly lit tanks as in the article above. I
      do 50% monthly on lower lit tanks and have gone as far as 50% every 4-5
      months on well balanced/low light setups, although smaller more
      frequent changes would have been preferred had I better access to the
      tank itself.

      As for your tank, 20% weekly should be fine, but the only way to know
      if larger changes will improve on anything is to try them for a couple
      months. Just make sure you don't make drastic changes such as jumping
      from 20% to 50% all of a sudden as your fish are not used to it. Try
      changing 15-20 gallons for a month or two and monitor any changes in
      the plant's health.

      Hope that helps
      Giancarlo Podio, LMD

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@...> wrote:

      > hi all!
      > so my tank is doing very well.....fish are thriving and plants seem
      to be doing well too.  my question is this...at the moment i am
      changing out 10 gal per week in my 55 gal tank.  what do you guys
      think....too much...not enough...or just right, or is this another one
      of those "it depends" answers??  thanks again!

      > marcelo

    • Marcelo
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008

        Hi all,

        so a few nights ago a storm knocked out power to a local water treatment plant and now we are being told to boil our water before cooking, drinking, bathing, and even brushing our teeth.  i'm worried about my water change this week.  i have already skipped a week last week because i was out of traveling.  should i wait it out, do it anyway, any advise would be appriciated.  thank you!!

        marcelo

      • Lana Bollers
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008

          I would maybe try and continue with the water change, but maybe buy a bottle of the bottled water the 5 gal one. You can get RO water, it works well. If you don't have any in your area due to the water shortage, I would try and boil the water, maybe test it before use, let cool and then add to the tank.

          Lana

          On Jul 24, 2008, thomas_p_ripley@... wrote:

          Hi all,

          so a few nights ago a storm knocked out power to a local water treatment plant and now we are being told to boil our water before cooking, drinking, bathing, and even brushing our teeth.  i'm worried about my water change this week.  i have already skipped a week last week because i was out of traveling.  should i wait it out, do it anyway, any advise would be appriciated.  thank you!!

          marcelo

        • Jimmie R Davis
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
            Marcelo wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > so a few nights ago a storm knocked out power to a local water
            > treatment plant and now we are being told to boil our water before
            > cooking, drinking, bathing, and even brushing our teeth. i'm worried
            > about my water change this week. i have already skipped a week last
            > week because i was out of traveling. should i wait it out, do it
            > anyway, any advise would be appriciated. thank you!!
            >

            > marcelo

            Use bottled water.
          • Dora Smith
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
              Just get out a big soup pan, and boil the water.

              You might want to also check the GH and KH.    Some causes of boil water orders result in alot of sediment in the water.

              Yours,
              Dora Smith
              Austin, TX
              tiggernut24@...

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 26, 2008

                hey guys!

                can someone tell me about their experiance with german rams?  i saw a couple at the LFS and thought they were very cute and did some reading about them.  they seem to be pretty delicate and high maintance.  is this true?  i know they are ciclids, but aren't rams (in general) ok to add to a community tank?  thanks again!

                marcelo

              • Springer,James C.
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                  > From: Behalf Of Marcelo

                  > can someone tell me about their experiance with german rams?
                  > i saw a couple at the LFS and thought they were very cute and
                  > did some reading about them. they seem to be pretty delicate
                  > and high maintance. is this true? i know they are ciclids,
                  > but aren't rams (in general) ok to add to a community tank?

                  Marcelo,

                  I've had my German Blue Rams for only about a month but they are doing
                  good. Pretty much as long as you're keeping decent water quality you
                  should be OK. Get a pair though, male and female. I have a community
                  tank and they are fine. Since that time I've added a pair of Gold Rams
                  as well. Oddly enough, after adding them, I expected the golds to be
                  territorial on one side and the blues on the other. But as it turns out,
                  a male gold ram paired with a female blue and vice versa! I've already
                  had 3 clutches of eggs from them (though I wasn't trying to breed them.)
                  Maybe someday I will as I agree, they are pretty cool fish.

                  They get along fine with all the other fish I have in the 75gal which
                  includes gourami, tetras, corydoras, plecos and a rainbow fish.

                  Jim

                  E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
                  addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
                  intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
                  immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
                  are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
                  storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
                • Lisa Rambo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 29, 2008

                    They can be delicate.
                    Just make sure you buy them from a very reputable store.  I had bad luck with quite a few but finally found some healthy ones for sale. I only got one because I was afraid I would lose another, but he is very healthy and sociable.