Re: another plant question

  • Giancarlo Podio
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
      Not in my experience... DIY CO2 is cheaper and far more effective.
      Otherwise Flourish Excel (a liquid form of carbon) is most likely your
      best solution short of purchasing a $100+ pressurized CO2 setup...

      DIY: http://www.gpodio.com/diy_co2.asp
      Excel: http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html
      Pressurized: http://www.gpodio.com/co2_setup.asp

      Hope that helps
      Giancarlo Podio, LMD

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@...> wrote:

      > hey guys!
      > i was at my LFS over the weekend getting food and i saw these
      little pills that fizz and put CO2 into the water. i do not have a CO2
      system right now. because i am a bit obssesive i have now begun to
      worry about the CO2 levels in my tank. do those little fizzy tablets
      work?? the package said that one should last a month. thanks!!

      > marcelo
      >

      > test'; ">

    • Carol E. Keen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
        Dear Lisa,

        Have you tired something that is often used with seahorses? You can take a large seashell, the flat ones like clam shells and put it in the bottom of the tank. Thaw the frozen food in some clean water. Then take a turkey baster, and yes it can take some practice, but you suck up the frozen food, then squirt it out into the shell.

        I hope this helps you some!

        Carol :)
        LMD In MS.
      • Lisa Baird
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
            If you are using flake food, put a small amount between your
            forefinger and thumb and. Put your finger and thumb in the water and
            squeeze, the let the flakes go and they will sink. You could also get
            some freeze dried tubifiex worm cubes. take one and put it in the
            aquarium and take it to the bottom and press it onto the glass. It
            will stay there. As far as the danios, they will be great "dither"
            fish. Their movement should also bring out the badis more. Have plenty
            of little caves for them, small terra cotta flower pots work great. I
            bred badis badis 20 years ago and the pots worked for me. Good luck,
            nice little fish.

            Lonny
          • rojeriko
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008
              Hi,
              I tried the Hagen CO2 kit(fermentation method) until I discovered my
              fish gasping for air. Since then I've been using Seachem Flourish
              Excel. I'm happy with the results. This does not affect the pH,KH
              either.

              The fermentation method is the cheapest but you do not have much
              control on it. You can not - and must not - turn it off when the
              lights are off. A pressurized CO2 system would probably give you the
              best control but it would also be expensive.

              It all depends on the fish-plant equilibrium. The fish will provide
              the CO2 and ammonia, your bio-filter will convert ammonia to nitrate,
              the food will provide some phosphate, you'll provide iron,potassium
              and light. You may need to add trace elements, phosphate or carbon if
              needed.

              Good Luck
              Murat

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <tuvy72@...>
              wrote:

              > Not in my experience... DIY CO2 is cheaper and far more effective.
              > Otherwise Flourish Excel (a liquid form of carbon) is most likely
              your
              > best solution short of purchasing a $100+ pressurized CO2 setup...
              >
              > DIY: http://www.gpodio.com/diy_co2.asp
              > Excel: http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html
              > Pressurized: http://www.gpodio.com/co2_setup.asp
              >
              > Hope that helps
              > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
              >
              > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hey guys!
              > > i was at my LFS over the weekend getting food and i saw these
              > little pills that fizz and put CO2 into the water. i do not have a
              CO2
              > system right now. because i am a bit obssesive i have now begun to
              > worry about the CO2 levels in my tank. do those little fizzy
              tablets
              > work?? the package said that one should last a month. thanks!!
              > >
              > > marcelo
              > >

              > > test'; ">

            • Giancarlo Podio
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                Correct, anyone using DIY or pressurized CO2 must monitor the CO2
                concentration, this is done by measuring PH and KH and referencing
                the following table: http://www.gpodio.com/co2_chart.asp

                30ppm is considered the maximum, 15ppm is a good range for low to
                medium lit tanks. Above 40ppm we start to worry... The first 24 hours
                are key, once set, you rarely need to test a pressurized setup, while
                a DIY bottle should be checked weekly.

                Thank you for the note, I should have added that link to my prior
                post.

                Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "rojeriko" <rojeriko@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I tried the Hagen CO2 kit(fermentation method) until I discovered
                my
                > fish gasping for air. Since then I've been using Seachem Flourish
                > Excel. I'm happy with the results. This does not affect the pH,KH
                > either.
                >
                > The fermentation method is the cheapest but you do not have much
                > control on it. You can not - and must not - turn it off when the
                > lights are off. A pressurized CO2 system would probably give you
                the
                > best control but it would also be expensive.
                >
                > It all depends on the fish-plant equilibrium. The fish will provide
                > the CO2 and ammonia, your bio-filter will convert ammonia to
                nitrate,
                > the food will provide some phosphate, you'll provide iron,potassium
                > and light. You may need to add trace elements, phosphate or carbon
                if
                > needed.
                >
                > Good Luck
                > Murat
                >

                > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <tuvy72@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Not in my experience... DIY CO2 is cheaper and far more
                effective.
                > > Otherwise Flourish Excel (a liquid form of carbon) is most likely
                > your
                > > best solution short of purchasing a $100+ pressurized CO2 setup...
                > >
                > > DIY: http://www.gpodio.com/diy_co2.asp
                > > Excel: http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html
                > > Pressurized: http://www.gpodio.com/co2_setup.asp
                > >
                > > Hope that helps
                > > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
                > >
                > > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@>
                wrote:

                > > > hey guys!
                > > > i was at my LFS over the weekend getting food and i saw these
                > > little pills that fizz and put CO2 into the water. i do not have
                > CO2
                > > system right now. because i am a bit obssesive i have now begun
                > > worry about the CO2 levels in my tank. do those little fizzy
                > tablets
                > > work?? the package said that one should last a month. thanks!!
                > > >
                > > > marcelo
                > > >

                > > > test'; ">

              • Marcelo
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                  hey guys!
                  i started using excel and have been using it per the directions on the bottle daily for not quite a week.  how long before i start to notice some imporvement in my plants?  some of them are doing pretty well and others are stuggling.  i'm hoping this will help the ones that are not doing so hot.  thanks again!

                  marcelo

                • Giancarlo Podio
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                    It will take a couple weeks to start taking effect.

                    Giancarlo