Re: [UniQuaria] wood for pleco

  • Trevor Holyoak
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2008
      I have 3 very large plecos in my main tank that I got when they were
      babies several years ago. I've never had wood in there for them. I tried
      once, but I could never get it to sink.

      - Trevor

      Marcelo wrote:
      > hey all,
      > so how important is it to have wood in your tank for a pleco? i'm
      > going to add a bristle nose pleco to my tank in the next few weeks and
      > all i have in there are plants and rocks. no wood. i have some left
      > over grape vine from when i had a bearded dragon that i was thinking
      > about soaking for a few days and putting in there but before i do i
      > wanted to make sure it is absolutly nessasary for the pleco. thanks!
      >
      > marcelo

      > it now.
      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

    • Debra
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2008
        Trevor:
        I have used several types of wood successfully in my tanks. I select wood that is aged and dried all the way through. Using a turkey roasting pan I first boil the wood and then let it simmer for about 24 hours or so until it absorbs enough water and stays submerged. I do have one large piece of wood that refuses to sink though so I drilled a hole in a patio brick and screwed it to the wood. Keeps it submerged nicely. I then "planted" the brick in the tank and covered it with substrate (sand and pebbles).
        Hope this helps.
        Deb
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Marcelo wrote:
        > hey all,
        > so how important is it to have wood in your tank for a pleco? i'm
        > going to add a bristle nose pleco to my tank in the next few weeks and
        > all i have in there are plants and rocks. no wood. i have some left
        > over grape vine from when i had a bearded dragon that i was thinking
        > about soaking for a few days and putting in there but before i do i
        > wanted to make sure it is absolutly nessasary for the pleco. thanks!
        >
        > marcelo

        > it now.
        > <http://us.rd <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20> yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

      • godkrittersnkids
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2008
          I have some gnarled wood from a 60yo lilac bush outside; would that
          work?

          Linda & KritterKrew
        • Maxmillionmaxcat@aol.com

            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2008
              why is wood that has been used with reptiles bad to use with fish??  and what do you mean by malaysian?  i did not say anything about that.

              Wilma Duncan <ombcat@...> wrote:
              You should not use wood that has been housed with reptiles in an aquarium. And  hard wood is the best for plecos as they must be able to rasp on the wood. Malaysian is not the best suited.
              Wilma
              The Cause, Inc
              www.wilmasthecause. org

              Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              hey all,
              so how important is it to have wood in your tank for a pleco?  i'm going to add a bristle nose pleco to my tank in the next few weeks and all i have in there are plants and rocks.  no wood.  i have some left over grape vine from when i had a bearded dragon that i was thinking about soaking for a few days and putting in there but before i do i wanted to make sure it is absolutly nessasary for the pleco.  thanks!

              marcelo

              www.wilmasthecause. org
              Helping Others to Enjoy the World of Aquarium Keeping

            • Wilma Duncan

                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                  Barbara:

                  I have used oak, even have a piece in my shrimp tank. Make sure you scrape off the bark first and simmer it for at least a full day. I usually change the water a couple of times during the process.. I also have driftwood collected from the beach and wood purchased from various pet stores. If you would like a web site to check there is a good mom and pop place in Mobile I like to frequent.

                  Most of the wood in my tanks was collected initially for the garden so it has been aged literally years before I thought to put it in the aquarium.

                  Deb
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

                  ----------------
                  Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001> .
                • Marcelo
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                    hi all,
                    what is typical behavior for a red tail shark?  i just got one on saturday and he's very shy and hiding behind plants all the time.  i think he is eating but he does not come to the top of the tank when i feed.  is it that maybe he is just taking a while to get used to his new home?  my water is:
                    ammonia 0ppm
                    -ate 10ppm
                    -ite 0ppm
                    pH 7.2
                    temp 77

                    thanks again!

                    marcelo

                  • DM Turner
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                      RTS were one of my favorites to keep in years past.  Hoping to get them again eventually as I'm setting up tanks again.  It's not uncommon for them to hide until they get more secure and settled into their new environment.  Once secure, I found mine to be very active.  :-)

                      BTW, I don't think mine ever came to the top to feed.  Don't recall ever seeing them do that.  Mine kept to the bottom for feeding.

                      Dawn T

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                          That's what I used to do for them, along with my other bottom feeders (plecos & cories).  :-)  They also LOVE worms of different kinds.

                          Dawn T

                          should i get some food that will sink down to the bottom for him to eat?
                        • Sissy Sathre
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                            Marcelo,  They are omnivorous, so they should be fed greens along with the standard aquarium perpared foods, and frozen Blood worms, brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp.Try zucchini squash,yellow squash, romain lettus,fresh green beans, and peas. Anchor the veggies with a rock or something and be sure to wash them first.
                            Sissy Sathre
                            DBA Aquariums By Sissy
                            www.aquariumsbysissy.com

                            DM Turner <turnerzoo@cableone. net> wrote:

                            RTS were one of my favorites to keep in years past.  Hoping to get them again eventually as I'm setting up tanks again.  It's not uncommon for them to hide until they get more secure and settled into their new environment.  Once secure, I found mine to be very active.  :-)

                            BTW, I don't think mine ever came to the top to feed.  Don't recall ever seeing them do that.  Mine kept to the bottom for feeding.

                            Dawn T

                            what is typical behavior for a red tail shark?  i just got one on saturday and he's very shy and hiding behind plants all the time.  i think he is eating but he does not come to the top of the tank when i feed.  is it that maybe he is just taking a while to get used to his new home?  my water is:

                            marcelo

                            Checked by AVG.
                          • Nimish Mathur
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2008

                              Red tailed shark is typically a grazer. Once it gets used to the new environment you will see it constantly grazing on every surface in the tank however it is very unlikely that it will come to the surface to accept food. The best thing I found with it was to use a pinch of flakes and submerge them in water while holding them and then release after a few seconds. This makes the flakes fall down to the bottom and the RTB shark can easily get to them.

                              Mine has been with me for around 7 yrs now and does take food from hand. He is at 5.5-6” mark and a fully grown bull and constantly grazes on algae and vegetable food I put in (before the loaches get to it). They do need vegetable diet as well to maintain good health so once it is settled, try feeding it with blanched spinach leaf or boiled cucumber slices.

                              Nim

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                yea i have noticed him grazing on the plants in the tank.  i'm glad to hear from others that he won't come to the surface to eat.  my little harlequin rasboras are little pigs!
                                so how long do i need to leave veggies in the tank?   he's not very big 2.5 inches tops.....i actually have some spinich in the fridge too!