Re: Rainbow tankmates/Stocking for 50/55 gallon

  • steve
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
      30 gallons should be big enough for 3 rainbows, but i think you said
      you had 7. not even sure 55 gallons is big enough for that
      especially since you were looking for advice on other tank mates.
      I am basing this on the facts that i know it says rainbows only get
      about 3-4 inches in size, but at my LFS i have seen them about 5-6
      inches at only 3 yrs of age. Yes they were the boesemani rainbows
      too that were about 5-6 inches that is long and i would say at least
      2-3 inches tall so beware that they can get very big.
      At least bigger then what they say the average adult size is. So i
      would maybe consider maybe getting 4-5 of them unless you already
      have them if you want other tank mates with them, or a bigger tank
      cause in time they can get very big.
    • steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
        actually i only have a 55 gallon for fresh water. The most i have
        had in there at 1 time was 1 pakastani loach, 1 rainbow shark, 1
        silver dollar, and about 10 tetras(black skirt, black phantom, and
        some neons or cardinals i forget whichones they are so close in
        color), and finally i think 3 rasbora's.
        loach was about 2", shark about 5", silver dollar 1.5 inch dia.,
        tetras between 1-2", and rasbora's 1".
        So approximately between 30-40 inches of fish in my 55 gallon.
        PS this tank now houses 7 cichlids (4 juvinelle yellow lab 3 grown
        acei) with 2 tetras(black phantom)
        Warning:
        Black phantom tetras are also very territorial which is kinda rare
        for tetras, they nipped away all of my silver dollar fins when i had
        him. They also nipped at each other while they were fun to watch be
        careful what you put with them if you get them.
        That is a warning for anyone.

      • steve
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
          I have personally seen balas 6-7" but have heard they get 10-12
          inches but of course you would need 100+ gallon tank for them to get
          that big. It also takes years and years for them to get that big
          since they grow very slow most people don t even have them long
          enough that they get fully grown.
          Just 1 more thing Bala's or any shark for that matter are more or
          less closer related to carp then a shark. They are just given that
          name cause the fins sorta the same pattern as a shark. Again i am
          not sure if this is true this is just what experts have told me from
          my LFS.
        • bmp
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
            Steve--

            The aquarium fish with common names that include the
            word 'shark' such as the bala, rainbow, iridescent or
            the red-tailed are not actually sharks. They are given
            those common names because of their appearance, not
            because they are related (anatomically or otherwise)
            to true sharks.

            Beverly

            --- steve <steve01@...> wrote:

            > I have personally seen balas 6-7" but have heard
            > they get 10-12
            > inches but of course you would need 100+ gallon tank
            > for them to get
            > that big. It also takes years and years for them to
            > get that big
            > since they grow very slow most people don t even
            > have them long
            > enough that they get fully grown.
            > Just 1 more thing Bala's or any shark for that
            > matter are more or
            > less closer related to carp then a shark. They are
            > just given that
            > name cause the fins sorta the same pattern as a
            > shark. Again i am
            > not sure if this is true this is just what experts
            > have told me from
            > my LFS.

            Peace, please!

            Be a better friend, newshound, and