Re: [UniQuaria] Blasting sand as a substrate?

  • bmp
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
      Thanks very much for your reply Frank. I trust your
      observations and experience so I am now feeling better
      about my decision. I am particularly relieved to read
      that the corys barbels should not be damaged or harmed
      by the texture of the grains as that worried me.

      At the shop where I bought this blasting sand (I would
      change the name if asked) the corys are kept in a
      different section of the store, in separate tanks for
      each species, and their substrate was a fine white
      sand, not the blasting sand, so I worried that I had
      committed a big mistake. This is the kind of shop
      where the staff does know a lot and some have academic
      degrees in biology but I know this is also a
      capitalistic enterprise where they need to make sales.
      I was afraid that the fellow who helped me might not
      have been thinking through all of what I told him of
      my plans and was just ready to sell me whatever I
      asked for. I'm hoping for the best and am more
      confident that this will work for me.

      Since tomorrow is a holiday, I hope to get started
      washing the sand and installing part of my substrate.
      But it is supposed to get cold tomorrow--maybe even 55
      degrees! Sounds funny to someone from further north
      but in this southerly part of the country, 55 sounds
      cold to most people.

      Enjoy the holiday, I hope it will be a good new year
      for everyone.

      Beverly

      --- "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:

      > Hi Beverly. Not to worry about using blasting sand.
      > The quartz grains
      > are not sharp, and will not bother your Corydoras. I
      > use this type of
      > sand extensively at work

      Peace, please!

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
        bmp wrote:
        > Thanks very much for your reply Frank. I trust your
        > observations and experience so I am now feeling better
        > about my decision. I am particularly relieved to read
        > that the corys barbels should not be damaged or harmed
        > by the texture of the grains as that worried me.

        We have about 40 Corydoras julii in our piranha exhibit (which has
        blasting sand in it), and they appear to be doing well. No barbel damage
        at all.
        > At the shop where I bought this blasting sand (I would
        > change the name if asked) the corys are kept in a
        > different section of the store, in separate tanks for
        > each species, and their substrate was a fine white
        > sand, not the blasting sand,
        Ash tray sand, also silica based.
        > Since tomorrow is a holiday, I hope to get started
        > washing the sand and installing part of my substrate.
        > But it is supposed to get cold tomorrow--maybe even 55
        > degrees!
        I WISH it was 55 degrees here! We're down around 40 right now.
        > Sounds funny to someone from further north
        > but in this southerly part of the country, 55 sounds
        > cold to most people.

        I do understand. My sister lives in Florida, and if the temp hits 65,
        she's ready to break out the winter coats!