Conflicting Information

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
      I've been in the fish keeping hobby for only about 2 months, but
      I've done a good deal of reading before starting and since regarding
      all aspects of fresh water tropical fish husbandry - I have two
      tanks, a 60 gallon and a 38 gallon. I have encountered a great deal
      of conflicting information where one "expert" disagrees sometimes
      diametrically with another. One expert will say that species A
      should never be kept with species B and another will say that it's
      just fine. Or one will say that species C reaches 4 inches in
      length and another will say it reaches 6 inches in length.

      Specific examples are as follows: (sorry, but I do not have the
      exact citations of the who and where of these experts, but they are
      representative of my point and the source of some of my uncertainty).

      One expert says that Blue Gouramis are peaceful fish and are
      perfectly suited for a general community aquarium. Another says
      that they are semi-agressive and should be kept only with fish of
      similar size.

      Another example is one source saying the Giant Danios reach 4 inches
      in length, can be kept in groups of two or more and require only a
      minium of a 20 gallon tank, where another says they reach 6 inches
      in length, should be kept in groups of 5 or more and require a tank
      of at least 48" in length.

      These sorts of conflicting data can be befuddling to a novice
      aquarist. How many should I add? Is my tank large enough? Will
      these fish be compatible or not? What is my stocking capacity?

      How have others in this group dealt with these sorts of conflicts of
      information and advice? Is it simply a matter of "read as much as
      you can, take your best education action and see what happens?"

      I've just added 4 Giant Danios to my 38 gallon planted tank that
      already had 2 Blue Gouramis and 2 Opaline Gouramis. I'm hoping to
      add a small shoal of either rasboras and/or a skunk loach or two.
      I'm hoping that I'm not overstocking the tank. If the fish in
      question reach the larger sizes of the experts I might be in
      trouble. If they only reach the smaller dimensions then I might be
      alright. Do you see where I'm coming from on this?
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
        Greg wrote:
        > One expert says that Blue Gouramis are peaceful fish and are
        > perfectly suited for a general community aquarium. Another says
        > that they are semi-agressive and should be kept only with fish of
        > similar size.

        Blue gouramies, and larger gouramies in general, can be considered
        semi-aggressive, especially the males. I would not mix them in with
        smaller, long-finned species (such as guppies), but otherwise they seem
        to be an o.k. community fish. Also, again IME, wild blue gouramies tend
        to be more aggressive than pond-raised ones (which make up the majority
        of what you see in shops. Wild blues are rarely seen in the hobby
        anymore. A shame, really).
        > Another example is one source saying the Giant Danios reach 4 inches
        > in length, can be kept in groups of two or more and require only a
        > minium of a 20 gallon tank, where another says they reach 6 inches
        > in length, should be kept in groups of 5 or more and require a tank
        > of at least 48" in length.

        Giant Danios (Devario aequipinnatus) will reach a max size of about 6",
        but 4"-5" in an aquarium situation is more likely since these are
        pond-raised fish. Still, they are not a fish for a small tank,
        especially considering they are best kept in groups of four or more to
        avoid aggression not only between conspecifics but tankmates as well.
        > These sorts of conflicting data can be befuddling to a novice
        > aquarist. How many should I add? Is my tank large enough? Will
        > these fish be compatible or not? What is my stocking capacity?

        The 60 gallon is large enough for a group of 5-6 Devarios and a trio of
        blue gouramies. But I would not put both in the 38 gallon as I feel it's
        too small to handle both species.
        > How have others in this group dealt with these sorts of conflicts of
        > information and advice? Is it simply a matter of "read as much as
        > you can, take your best education action and see what happens?"

        Asking questions on groups like this is a good way to get info. Also, I
        find that the older aquarium literature, such are the Innes
        (pre-Metaframe editions) or Sterba books, will give you the info you
        need. As to sizing, you need to remember that some of this information
        is based upon a time when wild fish were more or less the norm in the
        hobby, or based upon scientific surveys of wild fish. Wild fish do tend
        to get larger than those that are pond-bred, IME. Over time, for
        whatever reason, the adult size of these fishes tended to be smaller
        than the same species brought in from the wild.
        > I've just added 4 Giant Danios to my 38 gallon planted tank that already had 2 Blue Gouramis and 2 Opaline Gouramis. I'm hoping to
        > add a small shoal of either rasboras and/or a skunk loach or two. I'm hoping that I'm not overstocking the tank.
        My feeling is that you should keep either the gouramies or Devarios in
        this tank, but not both, especially if you want to add other fish.

        Frank
      • Julie Haddy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007

          I've been in the fish keeping hobby for only about 2 months, but
          I've done a good deal of reading before starting and since regarding
          all aspects of fresh water tropical fish husbandry - I have two
          tanks, a 60 gallon and a 38 gallon. I have encountered a great deal
          of conflicting information where one "expert" disagrees sometimes
          diametrically with another. One expert will say that species A
          should never be kept with species B and another will say that it's
          just fine. Or one will say that species C reaches 4 inches in
          length and another will say it reaches 6 inches in length.

          Yes, that's a problem we all face when doing our homework before adding new additions to the tank whether it's fish or plants or substrates ;-)  I generally ask questions of other hobbyists who have 1st hand experience with that particular fish or plant or hardware or whatever it is I'm considering.  I give more credence to the 1st hand experience of other hobbyists over what this or that book says, but you just have to weigh your sources and go with what you think will work for you.

          As far as the gouramis, I kept them long ago and did find them to be semi-aggressive.  I have never kept the giant danios.  I kept the regular danios for awhile and really did not enjoy them very much so haven't kept any more of those species.

          Julie Haddy

        • harry perry
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
            One of the best sources of info are the fish groups. I joined as many as I could find and then weeded them out.

            You want a moderated group that's active. There will always be someone there with years of experience who can help.

            Another issue is names. After a while you will find it necessary to use scientific names when researching, there's too much confusion otherwise.

            So what we have is:

            Google the fish, plant, etc.
            Place the question in all your groups.

            You'll get a majority that way.

            Keep an open mind. The person responding, while trying to help, might have a completely different set up then yours and so the fish react differently.

            Gouramies are a good example. I've been keeping them for years. They are semi aggressive but only towards their own kind. In a well planted tank, given space to establish their own territories. they work well.

            One of the great things about this hobby is the diversity. Both people and fish.

            Just remember there is no such thing as too many tanks.

            Welcome to our wonderful obsession.

            Harry

            Julie Haddy <pawslover@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Julie Haddy
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007

              One of the best sources of info are the fish groups.

              Yes, and not just the e-mail ones although this is a really good one :-)  Some of the active bulletin board sites have some great members and info too.  Some of my favorites are:

              www.cichlid-forum.com
              www.shelldwellers.com
              www.aquacharlotte.net
              www.aquaticplantcentral.com

              Of course, there are plenty more, some specific to certain fishes, but lots of good info out there.

              Julier