Re: [UniQuaria] Red Tail sharks

  • Tom R. Earlywine
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_shark

      --- Marcelo <thomas_p_ripley@...> wrote:

      > Hi all!
      > my ultamiate goal is to put together a tropical community tank with a wide
      > variety of fish. i really like the "sharks" and in particular the red tail
      > shark. how big do they get and how well do they do in a commuinty tank???
      >
      > thanks!
      >

      > test'; ">
      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Debra Melton
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007

        in particular the red tail
        > shark. how big do they get

        I have a beautiful red tailed shark, currently at about 5 inches, fairly territorial.  Currently in a 55 gal. tank with Emerald Corey's, Siamese Algae Eaters, Neon's and Tiger Barbs.  They have all learned to avoid it.  I think it's a female because of the round contours but am not sure.

        Deb
      • Roberta Dvojack
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi,

          I have a male/female pair that are about 5 inches long. They are
          wonderful fish to watch. They are not the easiest fish to keep in a
          community tank. And they need a large tank with lots of plants and rocks
          and wood to hide in. I think mine work well together because I lucked
          out and they are opposite sex. They are also in an 80 gallon tank with
          fish that are either their size or larger. They zoom around the tank
          chasing each other, the bala sharks and clown loaches. No harm is is
          ever done though.

          Roberta

          Marcelo wrote:
          > Hi all!
          > my ultamiate goal is to put together a tropical community tank with a
          > wide variety of fish. i really like the "sharks" and in particular
          > the red tail shark. how big do they get and how well do they do in a
          > commuinty tank???
          >
          > thanks!

        • jaypopus
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
            Thanks everybody for you ideas i will let you know how it goes.

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco"
            <phrankg@...>wrote:

            > Carol E. Keen wrote:
            > > Dear Jason,
            > >
            > > The quietest airpump I have EVER used, and they work for about 7-
            10
            > > years with out changing any parts, is the Apollo line. They make
            an
            > > Apollo 3 and my favorite, the Apollo 5. I have to admit not
            trying out
            > > any of the newer brands of airpumps, but I stopped searching
            when I
            > > found my perfect brand! <G>
            > Hi Carol. I did not realize these pumps were being made any more.
            They
            > are a great pump, and do have great longevity. They were fairly
            common
            > around here in the '90's, but I have not seen them since. Glad to
            see
            > they are still in business.
            >
            > Frank

          • Scott Scheibe
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
              I took all my air pumps off line over a year ago and haven't seen
              any problems. I have some large Angles and other fish. I have D.I.Y. CO,
              moderately planted. All my tanks have a filter and a power head running a
              sponge filter which seems to do the job. My two larger tanks a 44 and 29
              I'm switching over canister filters as the sand from those two tanks have
              been wearing out the impellers. So far I have done the 29 with a Fluvial
              102, it works ok but I'd like to see more water flow. It has a bio wheel
              which aerates the water pretty well. I got with my marineland 350 I use for
              tank cleaning. They don't seem to be available any more separately.

              Scott Scheibe
              <mailto:dsscheibe@...>
              <http://scottsworld.info>
              <http://dsscheibe.blogspot.com>