Re: [UniQuaria] Flake foods--your recommendations?

  • Jamie arthur
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6 6:13 AM
      I use Wardley's

      bmp <bmpardue@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      It's almost time for me to shop for a new supply of
      flake food for the fish and I wonder what members
      recommend. I need it for a community tank of small
      tetras with a few platies, plus cories (who receive
      sinking wafers and shrimp pellets) and otos (who have
      a healthy supply of algae to munch on). I also use it
      with my tank of rainbow fish.

      I have tried TetraMin tropical crisps with so-so
      acceptance, TetraMin flakes with good acceptance;
      Ocean Nutrition's Formula One (blue lid) with better
      acceptance than with the TetraMin; and Ocean
      Nutrition's Formula Two (green lid, more veggie
      ingredients) with even better acceptance than with
      Formula One. I also feed everyone (thawed) frozen
      mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, daphnia and
      spirulina-fed brine shrimp, plus the occasional
      freeze-dried tubifex and brine shrimp. Once in a while
      I give cooked, frozen organic green peas but the
      rainbows are the only ones very interested in those.
      Come to think of it, they are very interested in any
      kind of food, haha, those eating machines!

      Anyway, before I go out and automatically buy more
      Formula One and Formula Two, I wonder what others here
      would recommend.

      Thanks,
      Beverly in Texas

      Peace, please!

      http://autos. yahoo.com/ index.html

    • William
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6 7:33 AM
        I have a large variety of foods that i feed to my tanks don't think
        that there is any food that is complete for your fish so if you feed
        a variety then you are more likely to have a complete diet for your
        fish. Just do not get more food than you will use in a few months or
        it will lose some of it's usefulness.
        When I buy food in bulk I will open it and put small portions in
        smaller containers (cleaned and dry) for everyday use and the rest
        will get packed carefully and put in the freezer for later use and
        also to help keep it longer with out it going bad.

        _______________
        > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with
        Yahoo! Autos.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6 7:53 AM
          bmp wrote:
          > I have tried TetraMin tropical crisps with so-so
          > acceptance, TetraMin flakes with good acceptance;
          > Ocean Nutrition's Formula One (blue lid) with better
          > acceptance than with the TetraMin; and Ocean
          > Nutrition's Formula Two (green lid, more veggie
          > ingredients) with even better acceptance than with
          > Formula One.
          Have you tried the Omega One foods? I use that brand, along with Tetra
          Flake.
          > I also feed everyone (thawed) frozen
          > mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, daphnia and
          > spirulina-fed brine shrimp,
          You're better off feeding this type of food frozen or partially thawed.
          If you thaw it to the point where there is a puddle of liquid forming,
          you've lost a lot of the nutritional value (it's sitting in that
          puddle). And water thawing is even worse as most of the water-soluble
          vitamins are washed away. By placing small pieces of fully frozen food
          into the tank, and letting the fish pick at it, they will get more of
          the vitamins locked inside the food than they would if they were fed
          thawed foods.
          > Once in a while I give cooked, frozen organic green peas but the rainbows are the only ones very interested in those.

          Heating destroys a good amount of certain vitamins. You're better off
          freezing the peas for 24 hours, as freezing does not have the same
          effect on vitamins.

          Frank
        • bmp
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6 8:29 AM
            Hi Jamie,

            I haven't seen Wardley's before. Does in come in
            different varieties? Which do you use? Where do you
            buy it?

            Thanks,
            Beverly

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6 8:45 AM
              Hi Frank,

              I've wondered about the Omega One foods. I have their
              shrimp pellets because that was the only brand
              available at the local store. Maybe I'll try the flake
              food.

              As for thawing the frozen brine shrimp, et al., I open
              the little plastic cube, put the cube in a small glass
              bowl and let it come to room temperature (takes about
              20 minutes, I think). This is often while I am cooking
              supper so it's nice to feel like I'm feeding the whole
              family at once, haha. I am concerned that if I just
              plop the whole cube in a tank that much will drift to
              the bottom and I'll have to hope the cories will
              consume it before it causes ammonia problems. By
              thawing it in a dish, then offering the food gradually
              with a medicine dropper I feel like I'm controlling
              the portion size better, giving as much as they will
              eat.

              For the peas, I cook them only lightly in plain water,
              then let them cool & remove the outer skin. When you
              say I should freeze them for 24 hours do you mean
              after I cook them? I am buying them already frozen
              from the grocery store. Maybe you mean I should just
              thaw them (in a similar fashion as to how I treat
              frozen brine shrimp)? I'm not clear what you mean.

              Thanks for your interest in my question. I want to
              treat my fish the best way I can.

              Beverly

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6 8:49 AM
                Thanks William. Yes, I am feeding a variety, sometimes
                I feel like I operate an aquatic cafeteria, haha. As
                for buying in bulk, dividing it, then freezing the
                extra, I'm thinking of doing that with the Ocean
                Nutrition Community formula. It is not sold in stores
                here so I'd have to order it. None of the three
                sources I am considering sells it in containers as
                small as I already use for the other Ocean Nutrition
                foods I use. So I would have to do as you do in order
                to help prevent it going stale.

                Have you tried the Ocean Nutrition Community formula?
                I wonder how it is.

                Beverly

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6 9:17 AM
                  Petsmart, Walmart.
                  Wardley
                  Essentials
                  Tropical fish Flakes has Natural Enhancers in there. Blue can.

                  bmp <bmpardue@...>

                  --- Jamie arthur <specialname76@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > I use Wardley's
                  >
                  > bmp <bmpardue@yahoo. com> wrote:
                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > It's almost time for me to shop for a new supply of
                  > flake food for the fish and I wonder what members
                  > recommend. I need it for a community tank of small
                  > tetras with a few platies, plus cories (who receive
                  > sinking wafers and shrimp pellets) and otos (who
                  > have
                  > a healthy supply of algae to munch on). I also use
                  > it
                  > with my tank of rainbow fish.
                  >
                  > I have tried TetraMin tropical crisps with so-so
                  > acceptance, TetraMin flakes with good acceptance;
                  > Ocean Nutrition's Formula One (blue lid) with
                  > better
                  > acceptance than with the TetraMin; and Ocean
                  > Nutrition's Formula Two (green lid, more veggie
                  > ingredients) with even better acceptance than with
                  > Formula One. I also feed everyone (thawed) frozen
                  > mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, daphnia and
                  > spirulina-fed brine shrimp, plus the occasional
                  > freeze-dried tubifex and brine shrimp. Once in a
                  > while
                  > I give cooked, frozen organic green peas but the
                  > rainbows are the only ones very interested in
                  > those.
                  > Come to think of it, they are very interested in
                  > any
                  > kind of food, haha, those eating machines!
                  >
                  > Anyway, before I go out and automatically buy more
                  > Formula One and Formula Two, I wonder what others
                  > here
                  > would recommend.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Beverly in Texas
                  >
                  > Peace, please!

                  > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a
                  > reality with Yahoo! Autos.
                  > http://autos. yahoo.com/ index.html
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.
                  > Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us.

                  Peace, please!

                  http://autos. yahoo.com/ index.html

                • mike m

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 6 10:18 AM
                      bmp wrote:
                      > For the peas, I cook them only lightly in plain water,
                      > then let them cool & remove the outer skin. When you
                      > say I should freeze them for 24 hours do you mean
                      > after I cook them? I am buying them already frozen
                      > from the grocery store. Maybe you mean I should just
                      > thaw them (in a similar fashion as to how I treat
                      > frozen brine shrimp)? I'm not clear what you mean.

                      Since you are getting them already frozen, all you'd need to do is plop
                      one or two of them in the tank while they are still frozen (partially
                      thawed is o.k., too), and let the fish pick at them. No need to heat
                      them at all.