Re: [UniQuaria] Mexican blind cave tetras

  • GemstoneVT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 2007
      In a message dated 9/30/2007 9:54:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, phrankg@... writes:
      Since we've rejoined the tropical fish hobby, it
      > strikes me that one fish which we haven't seen in any
      > of the shops is the blind cave tetra, native to
      > Mexico.
      My son has one. They have them in our LFS in NH.
                           Regards,
                            Judith

    • Sissy Sathre
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 30, 2007
        Frank I'm not sure of it's age, was donated to the museum at this size about 4 years ago.
        Sissy Sathre
        DBA Aquariums By Sissy
        www.aquariumsbysissy.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for letting me know they are still around in
          some places. It sounds, however, as if they don't have
          the most pleasing personalities for a community tank.
          I don't need any now but am glad to know they can
          still be found.

          Beverly

          --- Deenerz@... wrote:

          > Beverly,
          >
          > I was at my local tropical fish wholesaler here in
          > Northern California about
          > 6 months ago and picked up 6 Blind Cave Tetras for
          > my Aquarium society
          > auction.
          >
          > I have not seen them since but have not really been
          > checking each tank at
          > the wholesalers.
          >
          > Ask at your Local Fish Shop if they can order them
          > for you.
          >
          > Mike

          Peace, please!

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • bmp
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
            Thanks Judith. I'm glad to know they are still
            available in some spots. They are an interesting
            example of adaptation to one's surroundings!

            Beverly

            --- GemstoneVT@... wrote:

            > Daylight Time,
            > phrankg@... writes:
            >
            > Since we've rejoined the tropical fish hobby, it
            > > strikes me that one fish which we haven't seen in
            > any
            > > of the shops is the blind cave tetra, native to
            > > Mexico.
            >
            > My son has one. They have them in our LFS in NH.
            > Regards,
            > Judith

            Peace, please!

            Got a little couch potato?
          • bmp
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hi Frank,

              It's disturbing to see how long this list is. It goes
              to show what people will do to make a buck. I am
              grateful that I have only once seen any 'painted' fish
              for sale and that place didn't have any the last time
              I was in there. I'm hoping they no longer stock them.
              As for those fish deliberately bred to perpetuate a
              deformity or an unnatural trait, I just don't
              understand why people buy them. Yes, there are some
              people who just don't think or who are ignorant but I
              hope more shops will see the light and just not carry
              them at all. If the demand decreases, so will the
              supply...eventually.

              Beverly

              --- "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:

              > > Certain fish "fall out of favor" from time to
              > time, to be replaced by
              > > other species. Blind cave characins are almost
              > always on Hong Kong
              > > availability lists, but few wholesalers order them
              > on a regular basis as
              > > they do not sell as well as man-made monstrosities
              > such as painted or
              > > balloon fish or hybrid cichlids (whose imports,
              > sadly, account for a
              > > large percentage of the total fish imported from
              > Asia).

              Peace, please!

              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 6, 2007
                bmp wrote:
                > Hi Frank,
                >
                > It's disturbing to see how long this list is. It goes
                > to show what people will do to make a buck.
                And there are even more fish to add to the list when you include the
                so-called parrot cichlids and balloon fish.
                > I am grateful that I have only once seen any 'painted' fish
                > for sale and that place didn't have any the last time I was in there. I'm hoping they no longer stock them.

                I find that surprising. If you go into any aquarium store here on Long
                Island, you'll find all manner of painted fishes. They are big sellers,
                even if the public is getting ripped off.
                > As for those fish deliberately bred to perpetuate a
                > deformity or an unnatural trait, I just don't
                > understand why people buy them. Yes, there are some
                > people who just don't think or who are ignorant but I
                > hope more shops will see the light and just not carry
                > them at all. If the demand decreases, so will the
                > supply...eventually.
                What I was told, several times, is that "If I don't carry them, my
                competition will, and I'll lose out on the sale. Ethics doesn't pay the
                bills.", or words to that effect.
                I think if you took a poll here, a good number of people will have
                painted fish, parrot cichlids (the man-made monstrosities, not the real
                parrot cichlid), flowerhorns, and balloon-type fishes. The demand for
                these fish is there. So the decrease in demand needs to come from the
                hobbyist, IMO, as shop owners will not stock those fish that they can
                not sell.

                Frank
              • William
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 6, 2007
                  We need to make informed decisions before we buy any deformed or
                  mutated fish. After all the various strains of angelfish are
                  mutations and the veil tail on angelfish are deformities. Also look
                  at the guppies, without mutations we would not have the fancy guppies
                  that are around. These are just two species of fish that have
                  been "improved" by mutations.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 6, 2007
                    William wrote:
                    > We need to make informed decisions before we buy any deformed or
                    > mutated fish. After all the various strains of angelfish are
                    > mutations and the veil tail on angelfish are deformities. Also look
                    > at the guppies, without mutations we would not have the fancy guppies
                    > that are around. These are just two species of fish that have
                    > been "improved" by mutations.

                    Hi William. There is a big difference in breeding for finnage or color
                    vs. hybridizing fishes that would not normally interbreed, and then
                    causing deformities such as you see in the parrot cichlid or
                    balloon-type fishes (i.e. mollies, kissing gouramies). Or injecting
                    latex or dyes into fishes in order to colorize them. Or coming up with
                    tail-less fish (since fishes use their tails for swimming, would you not
                    consider this a cruel practice?). Or tattooing fishes (there are laws
                    governing tattoos in humans, but do whatever you want to a fish...it's
                    o.k.). This is really what I am speaking of.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 6, 2007
                      Here's a couple of pics of some blind cave loaches from Thailand. The
                      only one I have worked with is Schistura oedipus, but I did not have
                      them long enough to attempt breeding them. They had to go back to the
                      fellow who collected them.

                      Frank
                    • d3dd@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 7, 2007
                        I do love Loaches..... Do you have
                        a rough idea of the different species that
                        have bred in the aquariums of hobbyists?

                        Joanna, LMD Kansas, thanks for
                        the pics.
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                          d3dd@... wrote:
                          > I do love Loaches..... Do you have
                          > a rough idea of the different species that
                          > have bred in the aquariums of hobbyists?

                          I can think of a few:

                          Sewellia lineolata
                          Schistura balteata
                          Neomacheilus corica
                          /Acanthocobitis botia*

                          */There are probably others as well, but these are the ones I know about.

                          Frank
                        • Vinni
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                            Loaches are great I think they will be the first ones I get when I finish cycling my tank if that is an ok addition to a newer aquarium. We had 2 clown loaches I had to give away when we moved :((
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                              Vinni wrote:
                              > Loaches are great I think they will be the first ones I get when I finish cycling my tank if that is an ok addition to a newer aquarium. We had 2 clown loaches I had to give away when we moved :((

                              Once the tank is cycled, they'd be a good addition. However, unless you
                              have a very large tank ((125 gallons or better, IMO), I would not advise
                              clown loaches. They do best in small groups (3 or more) and get very
                              large (16"), so a large tank is required . I'd suggest Botia striata
                              (Indian striped loach), Botia dario (queen loach), Botia histronica
                              (Burmese Striped Loach), and Yasuhikotakia morleti (skunk Botia) as good
                              alternatives to the clown loach.

                              Frank
                            • John DeBoo
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 9, 2007
                                Vinni wrote:
                                > Loaches are great I think they will be the first ones I get when I finish cycling my tank if that is an ok addition to a newer aquarium. We had 2 clown loaches I had to give away when we moved :((

                                For my own info, don't these typically eat algae? If so, is there
                                enough in a freshly cycled tank for them to eat or will they eat other
                                food too? I was thinking I'd need to wait a bit before introducing them
                                so there would be ample food.
                                John
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  John DeBoo wrote:
                                  > For my own info, don't these typically eat algae? If so, is there
                                  > enough in a freshly cycled tank for them to eat or will they eat other
                                  > food too? I was thinking I'd need to wait a bit before introducing them
                                  > so there would be ample food.
                                  > John

                                  John, not all loaches are algae eaters. The ones I mentioned in my last
                                  post will do well on prepared and frozen foods.

                                  Frank
                                • Vinni
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 10, 2007
                                    What would be the best type for introducing into a freshly cycled aquarium ?
                                    I know the clown loaches also enjoy snails for a snack. I recently purchased some
                                    Java Moss and clover so I am waiting for the inevitable snail hatching,

                                    Vinni

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 11, 2007
                                      Vinni wrote:

                                      <<What would be the best type for introducing into a freshly cycled
                                      aquarium ? >>

                                      Botia striata, botia dario, Aborichthys, Schistura notostigma, and
                                      Pangio pulla, to name a few. How large is your tank?

                                      << I know the clown loaches also enjoy snails for a snack. I recently
                                      purchased some Java Moss and clover so I am waiting for the inevitable
                                      snail hatching, >>

                                      Unless your tank is large, I would not advise clown loaches. I would
                                      also you get a copy of the latest TFH. Stan Sung has a wonder article on
                                      loaches in this issue.