Re:Disaster strikes-advice needed

  • Jaeda
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      KILZ my friend... very good stuff if you do end up
      with mold growing. If you have a need to re-paint an
      area where mold or mildew has formed - and you've gone
      about cleaning it as best you can to actually kill the
      spores. KILZ is great - and in my experience, keeps
      mold and mildew at bay in otherwise damp areas like
      basements, cellars, etc. (but certainly not limited to
      use in those areas).

      You might consider investing in a smallish wet/dry vac
      incase of any more accidents.

      Now, on your thawing of the rat - don't thaw in water
      in the future. Simply remove your pre-killed rat from
      the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature
      (provided you have "standard" ambient temp in your
      home) for about 12 hours. That's the standard
      recommendation when you are using pre-killed prey for
      pythons. Me, personally, I swear by live-prey for my
      Royal/Ball Python - just never feed live-prey in the
      python's actual habitat/cage. We always take our girl
      out of her habitat and offer her her live-prey in a
      different spot/location/area - that way she doesn't
      confuse our hands in her habitat as prey later on. I
      am personally pro-live prey for constrictors for a
      variety of reasons. But I'm also pro-breed and raise
      your own live prey for them so that one can insure
      they are healthy, "organically" raised, etc. I don't
      want to clutter this list with constrictor talk
      though, so if you'd like to continue on that subject,
      feel free to email me privately.

      On your other tanks and your fears about them
      springing a leak - like your 72g - the simplest thing
      to do is to check your water-holding tanks regularly -
      not just basic maintenance, but insuring that you
      actually check the seals, look for any chips, cracks,
      or the sealant becoming worn, tattered, or "lifting"
      at its edges. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound
      of cure.