Re: Algae eaters

  • Betty Goetz
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 13, 2007
      In a smaller tank like this consider clown plecos, Ancistrus
      (bristle-nose catfish), or giant otocinclus (Hypoptopoma spp). Amano
      shrimp may be large enough to avoid predation and are good algae
      eaters. All my tanks are less than 30g so I use a combination of
      Hypoptopoma spp or clown plecos and red cherry shrimp, but I don't
      have large fish like angels which would probably enjoy a red cherry
      shrimp snack. I have a fishless 2.5 gallon tank for breeding red
      cherry shrimp to populate the fish tanks (wink)....that way the young
      survive to serve as algae eaters!

      Betty Goetz
    • Tammy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2007
        where do you get the cherry shrimp.  no one around here have them.  would love to have some for my tanks.

        Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote:
        In a smaller tank like this consider clown plecos, Ancistrus
        (bristle-nose catfish), or giant otocinclus (Hypoptopoma spp). Amano
        shrimp may be large enough to avoid predation and are good algae
        eaters. All my tanks are less than 30g so I use a combination of
        Hypoptopoma spp or clown plecos and red cherry shrimp, but I don't
        have large fish like angels which would probably enjoy a red cherry
        shrimp snack. I have a fishless 2.5 gallon tank for breeding red
        cherry shrimp to populate the fish tanks (wink)....that way the young
        survive to serve as algae eaters!

        Betty Goetz

        May God Bless You!
        http://www.mailbing.com?=10010119

      • Betty Goetz
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
          They are all over the place around here (Pacific Northwest) and they
          are cheap (relatively). They are so easy to breed. Try your local
          aquarium society if your local fish stores aren't useful. Mail order
          sources: Try Frank's Aquarium. Where are you located?

          Betty Goetz

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Tammy <southernfamily2002@...> wrote:

          > where do you get the cherry shrimp. no one around here have them.
          would love to have some for my tanks.

          > Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote: In a smaller tank like this
          consider clown plecos, Ancistrus
          > (bristle-nose catfish), or giant otocinclus (Hypoptopoma spp). Amano
          > shrimp may be large enough to avoid predation and are good algae
          > eaters. All my tanks are less than 30g so I use a combination of
          > Hypoptopoma spp or clown plecos and red cherry shrimp, but I don't
          > have large fish like angels which would probably enjoy a red cherry
          > shrimp snack. I have a fishless 2.5 gallon tank for breeding red
          > cherry shrimp to populate the fish tanks (wink)....that way the young
          > survive to serve as algae eaters!
          >
          > Betty Goetz
          >

          > May God Bless You!
          > http://www.mailbing.com?=10010119
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          web links.

        • Tammy
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 17, 2007
            north carolina.  no one around here has them.  do you sell yours and if so how much.

            Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote:
            They are all over the place around here (Pacific Northwest) and they
            are cheap (relatively) . They are so easy to breed. Try your local
            aquarium society if your local fish stores aren't useful. Mail order
            sources: Try Frank's Aquarium. Where are you located?

            Betty Goetz

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, Tammy <southernfamily2002 @...> wrote:

            > where do you get the cherry shrimp. no one around here have them.
            would love to have some for my tanks.

            > Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote: In a smaller tank like this
            consider clown plecos, Ancistrus
            > (bristle-nose catfish), or giant otocinclus (Hypoptopoma spp). Amano
            > shrimp may be large enough to avoid predation and are good algae
            > eaters. All my tanks are less than 30g so I use a combination of
            > Hypoptopoma spp or clown plecos and red cherry shrimp, but I don't
            > have large fish like angels which would probably enjoy a red cherry
            > shrimp snack. I have a fishless 2.5 gallon tank for breeding red
            > cherry shrimp to populate the fish tanks (wink)....that way the young
            > survive to serve as algae eaters!
            >
            > Betty Goetz
            >

            > May God Bless You!
            > http://www.mailbing .com?=10010119
            >
            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            web links.

            May God Bless You!
            http://www.mailbing.com?=10010119

            Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

          • Tammy
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 17, 2007
              sorry forgot to add---have tried around here for 2 years.  will check frank's aquarium. thanks. have tried several mail order places but by the time i order and pay s&h it gets way up there.

              Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote:
              They are all over the place around here (Pacific Northwest) and they
              are cheap (relatively) . They are so easy to breed. Try your local
              aquarium society if your local fish stores aren't useful. Mail order
              sources: Try Frank's Aquarium. Where are you located?

              Betty Goetz

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, Tammy <southernfamily2002 @...> wrote:

              > where do you get the cherry shrimp. no one around here have them.
              would love to have some for my tanks.

              > Betty Goetz <haika@...> wrote: In a smaller tank like this
              consider clown plecos, Ancistrus
              > (bristle-nose catfish), or giant otocinclus (Hypoptopoma spp). Amano
              > shrimp may be large enough to avoid predation and are good algae
              > eaters. All my tanks are less than 30g so I use a combination of
              > Hypoptopoma spp or clown plecos and red cherry shrimp, but I don't
              > have large fish like angels which would probably enjoy a red cherry
              > shrimp snack. I have a fishless 2.5 gallon tank for breeding red
              > cherry shrimp to populate the fish tanks (wink)....that way the young
              > survive to serve as algae eaters!
              >
              > Betty Goetz
              >

              > May God Bless You!
              > http://www.mailbing .com?=10010119