Re: [UniQuaria] Hello everyone

  • Debra Melton
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hi Joyce,

      I have Siamese Flying Fox (Crossocheilus siamensis) in my display and planted tanks (55 gal).  They are very plain looking but can be entertaining to watch depending on who their tank mates are.  I have five in a tank with Danios and very often they can be seen schooling with them and acting like part of the crowd, but in my planted tank they are quite sedate and just blend in.  They do an excellent job eating the algae as long as you do not provide too much fish food.  The same can be said of my Cory cats.  Do you have to have an algae eater?, probably not but they do kind of bring a certain balance to the tanks and these are good community fish.

      When looking for the Siamese Flying Fox be aware that there is also a Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kallopterus).  They do essentially the same thing but I've read they are more territorial and not as good at eating algae.  If you are thinking pleco do your homework, many get very large, and some are carnivorous.

      Deb

    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
        What kinds of algae are you seeing? If the tank is not having any
        algae problems then likely not necessary. But a bottom dweller or two
        is good to have to help consume food that reaches the bottom.
        Coridoras, snails, loaches, anchistrus... any of these will help.

        The Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) will eat filamentous algae and will not
        bother any of your other fish. Avoid the Chinese Algae Eater (CAE)
        and Flying foxes for algae control.

        More on distinguishing them here:
        http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

        Corydoras are great bottom dwellers and will help consume food that
        reaches the bottom. They are quite beneficial, but not really a
        strong algae eater. The also come from soft waters so if your tank
        water is very hard they may struggle.

        Ottos (in numbers) are very good with film algae and diatoms, as are
        nerite snails, either are a good complement to SAEs as they consume
        completely different types of algae. Ottos however may become lunch
        for your cichlids... Some olive nerites may be safer... Black mollies
        do quite good at consuming diatoms, some film algaes and in
        particular the organic film that can form on the surface of your tank.

        Some driftwood and an ancistrus would be a very good addition, they
        often do quite well in most tanks and will help consume several types
        of algae.

        Hope that helps
        Giancarlo Podio, LMD