RE: [UniQuaria] Lowering ph

  • Gerard Gagnon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2007

      The Ph value is the results of chemical  dissolve in water,  so you have to add or remove chemical, to change the Ph,  Co2 injection as example  will lower the Ph but it’s a chemical too,  Peat moss , drift wood will lower it too, but it’s a chemical they release  who do so ( tanic acid) .   What Ph you want to achieve ?

      Gérard

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2007

        I guess Harry know the driftwood trick,   a Ph 8 water have usually too much buffer to be lower  by driftwood,  The Galaxy have been bred successfully at  Ph 7,3 it’s more the Raja the problem,  it demand Ph between 5,8 and 6,5       from 8 to 6 ,   you need to mix first your water with RO one., not only too lower a little bit the PH , but to remove the buffer , after it will be up to you too choose what chemical to reduce the Ph .

        Gérard

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2007
          <<My ph is at 8. I need to lower it for my galaxy rasbora and betta raja. I intend to lower it slowly. Is there a reliable way to lower it without adding chemicals?. Thanks>>

          Why is the pH so high to begin with? Is this how the water comes out of your tap?
          As Debra pointed out, water changes using RO water would bring down the pH, as would the addition of sphagnum moss (long variety) to your filter system. Dead almond or oak leaves added to the tank will also drop the pH.

          As an aside, the "galaxy rasbora" (actually the celestial pearl Danio) does not require overly acidic water. They do well in a wide range of pH values.

          Frank

        • harry perry
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2007
            The water comes from the tap that way.

            Harry

            "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:
            <<My ph is at 8. I need to lower it for my galaxy rasbora and betta raja. I intend to lower it slowly. Is there a reliable way to lower it without adding chemicals?. Thanks>>

            Why is the pH so high to begin with? Is this how the water comes out of your tap?
            As Debra pointed out, water changes using RO water would bring down the pH, as would the addition of sphagnum moss (long variety) to your filter system. Dead almond or oak leaves added to the tank will also drop the pH.

            As an aside, the "galaxy rasbora" (actually the celestial pearl Danio) does not require overly acidic water. They do well in a wide range of pH values.

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • harry perry
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2007
              6.5 or 7.

              Harry

              Gerard Gagnon <dataxpert@...> wrote:
              The Ph value is the results of chemical  dissolve in water,  so you have to add or remove chemical, to change the Ph,  Co2 injection as example  will lower the Ph but it’s a chemical too,  Peat moss , drift wood will lower it too, but it’s a chemical they release  who do so ( tanic acid) .   What Ph you want to achieve ?

              Gérard

              My ph is at 8. I need to lower it for my galaxy rasbora and betta raja. I intend to lower it slowly. Is there a reliable way to lower it without adding chemicals?. Thanks.

              Harry

              Visit us at www.groups.yahoo. com/group/ badis-dario

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
                <<The water comes from the tap that way.>>

                Harry, then I would take your tap water and mix it with RO water until you get the pH you want. But before you do that, take two cups of water from your tap, and check the pH. Then aerate the sample for 24 hours. Check the pH after that. Is it still high? Any idea of the hardness of your water?

                Frank
              • Giancarlo Podio
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9, 2007
                  I think your best shot is to dilute your tap water with softer water
                  such as RO or distilled. These guys seem to be quite adaptive so they
                  may acclimate well to basic waters.

                  Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                  --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...>