heat wave

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2007
      Hi, Having a mild heat wave! I use a fan thinking this would help
      some. The temp got up to 79 for the goldfish in the 46 gallon and they
      seemed slower than usual but alright. I have a small 10 gallon tank
      with a few Endlers and a few tetras (refugees from someone who didn't
      want them after all)...their tank got up to 80. While they are
      seemingly fine, I am wondering...and this is likely a stupid question,
      should I aim the fan at the glass of the tanks or on the water of the
      tanks for the best results? Will added water movement help? I have
      spare filters for each tank and could put them in.

      Thanks for any response...still learning about fish in San Diego!
      Jennifer
    • mr.turtle01@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2007
        do you have and or use air conditioning.?

        fans aimed at the top of the water should drop the temp some

        also goldfish tolerate cold water

        perhaps some coke bottles filled with water and frozen

        then float them in the tank

        this will not mess up your water chemistry,  just lower the temp.

        i used to live in El Cajon and this worked for me and my fish

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2007
          Aim your fans at the water's surface, this will promote evaporation
          which in turn cools the water. Added water movement can also help,
          specially if it creates extra surface agitation which again aids
          evaporation. You may however want to use a thermometer to guage the
          effectiveness of adding more pumps as they also generate heat so they
          may end up doing little... You can obviously also keep the lights off
          during the hotter parts of the day.

          Hope that helps
          Giancarlo Podio, LMD

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <jenniferconner888@...>

        • rdvojack@cox.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2007
            Hi Jennifer,

            Your fish should be fine. The goldfish might like lower temps but will be ok if there is good water movement for oxygen exchange. The Endlers and tetras won't mind the temps at all. If any of your fish are breathing fast or hanging at the top of the tank, try adding an airstone or increasing the filter flow to add oxygen.

            Aiming the fan at the water instead of the glass will add movement to the water and increase oxygen exchange. It will also add an evaporative cooler effect and may bring the temp down a little.

            Another thing you can do to moderate the temp is to freeze water in a plastic container and then float the container on the water.

            Roberta in Arizona

            ---- Jennifer <jenniferconner888@...> wrote:
            > Hi, Having a mild heat wave! I use a fan thinking this would help
            > some. The temp got up to 79 for the goldfish in the 46 gallon and they
            > seemed slower than usual but alright. I have a small 10 gallon tank
            > with a few Endlers and a few tetras (refugees from someone who didn't
            > want them after all)...their tank got up to 80. While they are
            > seemingly fine, I am wondering...and this is likely a stupid question,
            > should I aim the fan at the glass of the tanks or on the water of the
            > tanks for the best results? Will added water movement help? I have
            > spare filters for each tank and could put them in.
            >
            > Thanks for any response...still learning about fish in San Diego!
            > Jennifer
            >

            > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.
            >
            > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jennifer Conner
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2007
              Thank you all for the suggestions!  The heat broke today so next time I know...I don't have airconditioning but live nearer to the ocean than El Cajon so it rarely gets that hot.  I love caring for fish and find I can get a little obsessed with their condition!  There are worse addictions.  Thank you again,
              Jennifer