Protien Skimmer Recommendations?

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
      Good morning, all.

      I'm looking for a new skimmer, as I cracked my old Prism skimmer last night, when I disassembled it for cleaning.  I'm hoping that someone can share their protein skimmer recommendations or personal experiences.  Most "reviews" I've seen on the net seem to really be advertisements.

      Up front, I'd rather not purchase junk.  The Prism skimmer always seemed kind of cheap to me, but it worked okay as long as I monitored it.  Unfortunately, I needed to clean the unit frequently because scum would coat the inside of the "bubble tower" and the unit would stop collecting contaminants.

      Characteristics I'd like:  hang-on, efficient, quiet and something that won't get clogged easily.

      My tank is a 55 gallon, with a 20 gallon bioball sump below.  (I have plans to build a refugium in it's place... I've already started collecting parts.  When that happens, I might consider moving it below.)

      I use my lower-cabinet for storage of my fish "stuff", so housing more gear under there might cause a storage issue.

      Kind regards,
      Rusty
      Alabama, USA
    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
        Of the hang-on-back skimmers, here are my personal preferences in
        order:

        1. Coralife Super Skimmer - These are relatively new and gaining
        popularity. They are perhaps not built with similar quality as some
        of the more expensive skimmers but their efficiency and the design
        principle used is one of the better ones around today. It's a needle-
        wheel venturi driven skimmer. It can be hung on the back or the tank
        or in a sump. Different sizes exist but all have a relatively large
        pump to drive them properly.
        http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_coralife_super_ne
        edle_wheel_venturi_system.asp

        2. AquaC Remora series - These are popular "spray induction" driven
        skimmers. Very good build quality and long standing reputation. Not
        quite as efficient in my opinion as the above skimmers, but they take
        up less room and depending on the size and load of your tank, these
        may suffice.
        http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro.
        asp
        http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_nano_remora
        .asp

        3. CPR Backpack Skimmers - This is what I've been using in my 40g
        reef for the last 3 years. They are very similar to the CPR units but
        use the pump to suck in air and mix it through the impeller, a
        smaller scale setup to the first in the list. Not a bad skimmer at
        all and on Reefcentral.com you can usually find one for sale for
        under $100. Not as efficient as the two above however, I have
        modified mine to meet my needs.
        http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_cpr_bak-
        pak_sr_dx.asp

        There are others but these are the ones I know of personally and have
        a good reputation amongst the reef community. Many more to choose
        from:
        http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers__index.asp

        Not sure where to place this last one, it's a new brand called
        Octopus, I have the NW-200 running in my new 180g and it's great,
        competes very well with skimmers costing 2-3 times as much. This
        company also makes two hang-on-back versions, a single and double
        chamber HOB skimmer, I would assume they are good, in looking at the
        photos they look like CPR Backpack skimmers on steroids (larger pump)
        but I have not tried them nor heard from anyone who has to date.

        http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-Octopus-
        Skimmers/c22_35/p89/Octopus-Single-Hang-on-Protein-
        Skimmer/product_info.html

        As for the Prizm skimmers, I rarely hear anything good about them to
        be honest... but I haven't tried one before.

        Happy skimming!
        Giancarlo Podio, LMD

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <porsche.9146@...> wrote:

        > Good morning, all.
        >
        > I'm looking for a new skimmer, as I cracked my old Prism skimmer
        last night,
        > when I disassembled it for cleaning. I'm hoping that someone can
        share
        > their protein skimmer recommendations or personal experiences. Most
        > "reviews" I've seen on the net seem to really be advertisements.
        >
        > Up front, I'd rather not purchase junk. The Prism skimmer always
        seemed
        > kind of cheap to me, but it worked okay as long as I monitored it.
        > Unfortunately, I needed to clean the unit frequently because scum
        would coat
        > the inside of the "bubble tower" and the unit would stop collecting
        > contaminants.
        >
        > Characteristics I'd like: hang-on, efficient, quiet and something
        that
        > won't get clogged easily.
        >
        > My tank is a 55 gallon, with a 20 gallon bioball sump below. (I
        have plans
        > to build a refugium in it's place... I've already started
        collecting parts.
        > When that happens, I might consider moving it below.)
        >
        > I use my lower-cabinet for storage of my fish "stuff", so housing
        more gear
        > under there might cause a storage issue.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Rusty
        > Alabama, USA

      • Lawrence
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
          Giancarlo,

          Thank you for your input - I'll read those sites now.  The lady at my LFS tried to steer me towards a Sea Clone.  They didn't have any in stock, but said they could get me one by Wednesday.  She seemed sincere and wasn't pushing for an immediate sale.

          Any one running a Sea Clone?  I liked the one they were using on a tank in the store, because of the low-profile when it hung off the back.  It would hide behind my hood nicely.

          -Rusty

> [...]

          as long as I monitored it.
          > Unfortunately, I needed to clean the unit
          frequently because scum
          would coat
          > the inside of the "bubble tower"
          and the unit would stop collecting
          > contaminants.

          Characteristics I'd like: hang-on, efficient, quiet and something
          that
          > won't get clogged easily.
          >
          > My tank is a 55
          gallon, with a 20 gallon bioball sump below. (I
          have plans
          > to build
          a refugium in it's place... I've already started
          collecting parts.

          When that happens, I might consider moving it below.)

          > I use my
          lower-cabinet for storage of my fish "stuff", so housing
          more gear

          under there might cause a storage issue.

          Rusty
          > Alabama, USA

        • Giancarlo Podio
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
            Sorry about all those cut up links, you'll have to paste them back
            together to see the pages they link to...

            Giancarlo

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <tuvy72@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > kind of cheap to me, but it worked okay as long as I monitored it.
            > > Unfortunately, I needed to clean the unit frequently because scum
            > would coat
            > > the inside of the "bubble tower" and the unit would stop
            collecting
            > > contaminants.
            > >
            > > Characteristics I'd like: hang-on, efficient, quiet and
            something
            > that
            > > won't get clogged easily.
            > >
            > > My tank is a 55 gallon, with a 20 gallon bioball sump below. (I
            > have plans
            > > to build a refugium in it's place... I've already started
            > collecting parts.
            > > When that happens, I might consider moving it below.)
            > >
            > > I use my lower-cabinet for storage of my fish "stuff", so housing
            > more gear
            > > under there might cause a storage issue.

          • Lawrence
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
              No reason to apologize, Sir.  I appreciate the valuable input.  :)

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 5, 2007
                I didn't ask the original question but what's the name of the store in
                the GTA? That's my area and I'm always looking.
                Thanks,
                Eilleen.

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Jared" <jspice@...> wrote:

                > What part of the country do you live in? Big Al's does have a
                variety
                > of Canadian operations, both local stores and online. Otherwise, I
                > know a very high quality local store in the GTA that probably ships
                > plants....
                >
                > > Does anyone have any onlink links to canadian sites that you can
                > order
                > > aquarium plants from?

              • Crewser
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                  Big Al's has several stores in the GTA. http://www.bigalscanada.com/ They do carry a wide variety of aquatic plants, but I find their prices to be steep. I have thought about buying plants from the online location out of Manitoba. Great prices it seems, and they excellent feedback.

                  Steve
                • Giancarlo Podio
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                    Rusty, as much as I hate to knock a product, I have to say I have yet
                    to hear 1 good thing about the Sea Clones. Please go to
                    Reefcentral.com and/or reefs.org and perform a search there for more
                    feedback on the Sea Clone skimmer. There are threads regarding
                    modifications you can make to this skimmer to get it to perform a
                    little better, perhaps if you are a tinkerer like myself you can play
                    with a Sea Clone until it works for you...

                    Sorry, but that's the reputation it carries... I helped a friend try
                    to get one working nicely and he decided to return it shortly after.

                    Giancarlo

                    --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <porsche.9146@...> wrote:

                    > Giancarlo,
                    >
                    > Thank you for your input - I'll read those sites now. The lady at
                    my LFS
                    > tried to steer me towards a Sea Clone. They didn't have any in
                    stock, but
                    > said they could get me one by Wednesday. She seemed sincere and
                    wasn't
                    > pushing for an immediate sale.
                    >
                    > Any one running a Sea Clone? I liked the one they were using on a
                    tank in
                    > the store, because of the low-profile when it hung off the back.
                    It would
                    > hide behind my hood nicely.
                    >
                    > -Rusty
                    >

                    > _____

                    On Behalf
                    > Of Giancarlo Podio
                    > Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:14 PM
                    > To: UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [UniQuaria] Re: Protien Skimmer Recommendations?
                    >

                    > Of the hang-on-back skimmers, here are my personal preferences in
                    > order:
                    >
                    > 1. Coralife Super Skimmer - These are relatively new and gaining
                    > popularity. They are perhaps not built with similar quality as some
                    > of the more expensive skimmers but their efficiency and the design
                    > principle used is one of the better ones around today. It's a
                    needle-
                    > wheel venturi driven skimmer. It can be hung on the back or the
                    tank
                    > or in a sump. Different sizes exist but all have a relatively large
                    > pump to drive them properly.
                    > http://www.marinede

                    <http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_coralife_super_n
                    e>
                    > pot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_coralife_super_ne
                    > edle_wheel_venturi_system.asp
                    >
                    > 2. AquaC Remora series - These are popular "spray induction" driven
                    > skimmers. Very good build quality and long standing reputation. Not
                    > quite as efficient in my opinion as the above skimmers, but they
                    take
                    > up less room and depending on the size and load of your tank, these
                    > may suffice.
                    > http://www.marinede

                    <http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro
                    .>
> [...]
                    > seemed
                    > > kind of cheap to me, but it worked okay as long as I monitored it.
                    > > Unfortunately, I needed to clean the unit frequently because scum
                    > would coat
                    > > the inside of the "bubble tower" and the unit would stop
                    collecting
                    > > contaminants.
                    > >
                    > > Characteristics I'd like: hang-on, efficient, quiet and something
                    > that
                    > > won't get clogged easily.
                    > >
                    > > My tank is a 55 gallon, with a 20 gallon bioball sump below. (I
                    > have plans
                    > > to build a refugium in it's place... I've already started
                    > collecting parts.
                    > > When that happens, I might consider moving it below.)
                    > >
                    > > I use my lower-cabinet for storage of my fish "stuff", so housing
                    > more gear
                    > > under there might cause a storage issue.

                  • pond_watcher
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                      Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?

                      Ken

                      *edited to remove very long
                      message string/Joanna, LMD
                    • Kim Richards
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                        Check this site out!

                        Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?

                        Ken

                        *edited to remove very long
                        message string/Joanna, LMD

                        TV dinner still cooling?

                      • pond_watcher
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                          Thanks!

                          Ken

                          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Kim Richards <badcarma52@...> wrote:

                          > Check this site out!
                          >
                          > http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?
                          zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=saltaquarium&cdn=homegarden&tm=281&gps=126_535_1138_735
                          &f=22&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%
                          3A//www.angelfire.com/ok/dog1/overflow.html

                          > pond_watcher <sleepless_viewer@...> wrote:
                          > Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?
                          >
                          > Ken
                          >
                          > *edited to remove very long
                          > message string/Joanna, LMD
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          > TV dinner still cooling?

                        • Giancarlo Podio
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                            Yeah, it's very possible and if you can cope with a non-transparent
                            skimmer housing it's very cheap to make one. The clear PVC tubing in
                            those diameters is what adds to the cost.

                            On reefcentral.com there are a lot of threads that go into DIY
                            skimmers, I'm sure google would give you many ideas too.

                            This thread has a couple designs:
                            http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?
                            s=&threadid=769752&perpage=25&pagenumber=22

                            And this is one I made for curing rock:
                            http://gpodio.smugmug.com/photos/119534276-M-1.jpg
                            (the photo was taken prior to installing the recirculating pump and
                            in/out tubes)

                            Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "pond_watcher"
                            <sleepless_viewer@...> wrote:

                            > Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?
                            >
                            > Ken
                            >
                            > *edited to remove very long
                            > message string/Joanna, LMD

                          • pond_watcher
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                              Wow, those skimmers look really great. Thanks for the info!

                              Ken

                              wrote:

                              > Yeah, it's very possible and if you can cope with a non-transparent
                              > skimmer housing it's very cheap to make one. The clear PVC tubing
                              in
                              > those diameters is what adds to the cost.
                              >
                              > On reefcentral.com there are a lot of threads that go into DIY
                              > skimmers, I'm sure google would give you many ideas too.
                              >
                              > This thread has a couple designs:
                              > http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?
                              > s=&threadid=769752&perpage=25&pagenumber=22
                              >
                              > And this is one I made for curing rock:
                              > http://gpodio.smugmug.com/photos/119534276-M-1.jpg
                              > (the photo was taken prior to installing the recirculating pump and
                              > in/out tubes)
                              >
                              > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
                              >

                              > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "pond_watcher"
                              > <sleepless_viewer@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?
                              > >
                              > > Ken
                              > >
                              > > *edited to remove very long
                              > > message string/Joanna, LMD

                            • Kim Richards
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                                no problem

                                pond_watcher <sleepless_viewer@...> wrote:
                                Thanks!

                                Ken

                                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogrou ps.com, Kim Richards <badcarma52@ ...> wrote:

                                > Check this site out!
                                >
                                > http://saltaquarium .about.com/ gi/dynamic/ offsite.htm?
                                zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn= saltaquarium& cdn=homegarden& tm=281&gps= 126_535_1138_ 735
                                &f=22&tt=14& bt=1&bts= 1&zu=http%
                                3A//www.angelfire. com/ok/dog1/ overflow. html

                                > pond_watcher <sleepless_viewer@ ...> wrote:
                                > Anyone ever made a protein skimmer for yourself?
                                >
                                > Ken
                                >
                                > *edited to remove very long
                                > message string/Joanna, LMD

                                > TV dinner still cooling?