Re: [UniQuaria] fishless tank cycling

  • Kim Richards
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 31, 2007
      Let me know!

      Peter Senty <mnfishypete@...> wrote:
      It can be done fishless using ammonia like you say, but it is a big pain in the butt to do that way. Typically I have found that it takes about 3 to 4 weeks though. It does give you a very large population of the good bacteria, which can be helpful if you are going to overpopulate the tank right away. That being said, a few things to keep in mind. You have to a few air stones going because at the elevated temperature, you are depleting the oxygen that the bacteria needs. Also it is kind of a mess and you will have a GIANT nitrate spike at the end and will have to change at least 90% of the water to get that under any sort of control. All in all I have found that it is just not necessary or worth it. Just my experience. I am currently trying food only fishless cycling that Giancarlo has mentioned, we'll see how that goes. I am not a fan using fish for the cycling process because it is so harmful to them so I hope that the food only method works out.

      Pete

      The fish are biting.

    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 5, 2007
        Yeah the dwarf varieties are easier on plants. But don't forget that
        algae is neither a complete diet nor required to keep plecos. Algae
        wafers, veggies and other foods are their proper diet. I consider
        algae in most our tanks more of a treat for them...

        Giancarlo Podio, LMD

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Kim Richards <badcarma52@...> wrote:

        > small ones cause the big one don't bother and don't work well in
        planted tanks!

        > mr turtle <mrtrtl@...> wrote: it is not bad if you grow
        algae
        > because then you are already
        > for your plecos
        > turtle
        >
        > Giancarlo Podio <tuvy72@...> wrote:
        > That's a lot! That's more than I feed in a week :-) I cycled
        our 90g
        > with one of those cheap "twice daily" feeders. Now obviously I also
        > added live plants which add more waste and carry bacteria on their
        > surfaces so I'm sure you could use more. I would probably not use
        > more than a teaspoon a day however... But in the end, it's
        > still "fishless" so there's no harm if we trigger a large ammonia
        or
        > nitrite spike. Do keep in mind that foods also add phosphates to
        some
        > degree so too much food may cause some unwanted algae during this
        > phase where ammonia is largely available.
        >
        > Do let me know how you make out with it.
        > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
        >
        > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Reid <jrreid3rd1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Would a tablespoon for a 90 gallon be sufficent?

        Typically
        > > it
        > > > has taken me a week just to get the nitrite to get to its
        spike,
        > > and
        > > > the water has been at about 82 F with air stones, but that been
        > in
        > > > bare tanks. And always, by the time that the nitrites were back
        > > 0
        > > > the nitrates were always off the chart, way past 400 ppm.

        > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > > > It's here! Your new message!
        > > > Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.

        > > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
        > > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find
        > flight and hotel bargains.
        > > http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097

        > It's here! Your new message!

        > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful
        email and get things done faster.