Re: [UniQuaria] ammo lock good to use durring a tank cycle

  • Kim Richards
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
      Why would you want to put Ammo Lock into a cycling tank anyway you shouldn't have any fish in it to bother anyway for 5 to 6 weeks until it is done cycling!  Yo should put bacteria in it to help the cycling!  You also need to remember when you do start putting fish in it to start with a couple of hardy fish!  The mistake that a lot of people make is over loading the aquarium at the start, remember slow is good.

      Julie Haddy <pawslover@...> wrote:

      On 1/2/07, soybil <soybil@yahoo. com> wrote:
      is it ok to use this ammo lock when tank is cyleing i used bio spira
      to get tank started did a water change but ammonia still at 1.1ppm

      _

      I would not use it.  I believe there are some messages in the archives about the use of this product.  I believe it will tamper with your ammonia readings for awhile and make test results unreliable depending on the chemical used for the test.  If the tank is cycling fishlessly, then let the ammonia spike, but if using fish to cycle, then water changes are the best way to go until the cycle is complete; it will just take a little long.  Do small daily water changes if necessary for the fish and be very stingy with the food until past the ammonia & nitrite spikes.

      Good luck with the new tank!  What's it going to house?

      Julie Haddy

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • soybil
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
        nitrite was on the low end of the chart

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:

        > The API liquid kit is good to use, but I still can't believe the
        ammonia is
        > that high! This is unusual for a cycling tank. Did you add the
        BioSpira
        > before or after the high ammonia level? How many fish are currently
        in this
        > tank?
        > What is the pH of the tank? If it's low, chances are good that you
        do not
        > have a toxic level of ammonia. You should also check for nitrIte as
        nitrite
        > is far more toxic to freshwater fish.
        >
        > Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)--LMD

      • Darrell Maynard
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
          I think this has to do with your test kit.  There are two kinds of ammonia test kits.  One will show ammonia even though the ammonia is tied up by the water conditioner.  A better kind sold by AquariumPlants.com only shows the real ammonia level.  Here is a description of the test (Made by Seachem) :

          Ammonia Test:

          This kit measures total (NH3 and NH4+) and free ammonia (NH3 only) down to 0.05 mg/L and is virtually interference free in marine and fresh water. Free ammonia is the toxic form of ammonia (vs. ionized Ammonia NH4+ which is non-toxic) and thus it is much more important to keep an eye on the level of free ammonia in your system. This kit is based on the same gas exchange technology that is used in the Ammonia Alert™ and thus is the only kit on the market that can read levels of free ammonia while using ammonia removal products such as Prime™, Safe™, AmGuard™ and any similar competing products. The other kits (salicylate or Nessler based) determine the total ammonia by raising the pH of the test solution to 12 or greater. At this high pH all ammonia removal products will breakdown and rerelease the ammonia, thus giving you a false ammonia reading.

          Frank M. Greco (phrankg@optonline. net)--LMD

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
            <<nitrite was on the low end of the chart >>

            So we know that the ammonia is being converted. That's good. Just monitor
            the nitrite level to ensure it doesn't go too high.
            Let's make sure your test kit is reading properly. Do the test using plain
            tap water. There should be no ammonia in it (assuming you don't have
            chloramine in the water, that is).

            <<Why would you want to put Ammo Lock into a cycling tank anyway you
            shouldn't have any fish in it to bother anyway for 5 to 6 weeks until it is
            done cycling! Yo should put bacteria in it to help the cycling! >>

            Kim, when using BioSpira according to the directions, you add the bacteria,
            then the fish. There should be no ammonia or nitrite spike (IME using this
            product). Adding live bacteria AFTER the ammonia level has gone up may not
            do much good (again, IME). The bacteria still need time to reproduce before
            there's enough of them to utilize all that ammonia. If you're using fish to
            cycle the tank, and the ammonia level gets too high, the addition of an
            ammonia neutralizing liquid is a good way to keep the ammonia from stressing
            the fish while still allowing the bacteria to process it. That is, assuming
            the pH is high enough for the ammonia to be toxic.

            Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)--LMD
          • soybil
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
              i haven't used anything to condition the water it is bottled water.
              but the ammonia absorbing filter media shouldn't still show it at
              1ppm to 2ppm the pH is 7.2 so is that toxic or not i figure just let
              it cycle maybe take some fish out

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell Maynard" <darrell318@...>
              wrote:

              > I think this has to do with your test kit. There are two kinds of
              ammonia test kits. One will show ammonia even though the ammonia is
              tied up by the water conditioner. A better kind sold by
              AquariumPlants.com only shows the real ammonia level. Here is a
              description of the test (Made by Seachem) :

              > Ammonia Test:
              >

              > This kit measures total (NH3 and NH4+) and free ammonia (NH3 only)
              down to 0.05 mg/L and is virtually interference free in marine and
              fresh water. Free ammonia is the toxic form of ammonia (vs. ionized
              Ammonia NH4+ which is non-toxic) and thus it is much more important
              to keep an eye on the level of free ammonia in your system. This kit
              is based on the same gas exchange technology that is used in the
              Ammonia AlertT and thus is the only kit on the market that can read
              levels of free ammonia while using ammonia removal products such as
              PrimeT, SafeT, AmGuardT and any similar competing products. The other
              kits (salicylate or Nessler based) determine the total ammonia by
              raising the pH of the test solution to 12 or greater. At this high pH
              all ammonia removal products will breakdown and rerelease the
              ammonia, thus giving you a false ammonia reading.

            • Kim Richards
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                Ammo Lock doesn't remove ammonia from the water it just neutralizes it from hurting fish, but it still shows on a test that it is present!

                wrote:

                > I think this has to do with your test kit. There are two kinds of
                ammonia test kits. One will show ammonia even though the ammonia is
                tied up by the water conditioner. A better kind sold by
                AquariumPlants. com only shows the real ammonia level. Here is a
                description of the test (Made by Seachem) :

                > Ammonia Test:
                >

                > This kit measures total (NH3 and NH4+) and free ammonia (NH3 only)
                down to 0.05 mg/L and is virtually interference free in marine and
                fresh water. Free ammonia is the toxic form of ammonia (vs. ionized
                Ammonia NH4+ which is non-toxic) and thus it is much more important
                to keep an eye on the level of free ammonia in your system. This kit
                is based on the same gas exchange technology that is used in the
                Ammonia AlertT and thus is the only kit on the market that can read
                levels of free ammonia while using ammonia removal products such as
                PrimeT, SafeT, AmGuardT and any similar competing products. The other
                kits (salicylate or Nessler based) determine the total ammonia by
                raising the pH of the test solution to 12 or greater. At this high pH
                all ammonia removal products will breakdown and rerelease the
                ammonia, thus giving you a false ammonia reading.

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • soybil
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                  if i hook up an air pump will that help the ammonia and bacteria move
                  around more the bacteria need oxygen right
                  ammonia still at 1ppm to 2 ppm

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                    The airpump will not help remove the ammonia, nor will it help the bacteria
                    to grow more quickly. I would like to suggest that you bring a water sample
                    to your LFS and ask them to do an ammonia and nitrite test for you,
                    preferably using a different kit.

                    Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)--LMD
                  • Joseph Reid
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                      The thing i hate about ammolock is they can give false ammonia readings. Anyways cut back your feeding of the fish to 3 times a week a small pinch. Make sure you are doing partial water changes like 20% per week the most.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com