Power outage

  • Candy
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
      Yesterday our power went out for almost an hour. All our fish are
      fine. But we are wondering now, what if the power goes out for more
      than an hour? I was reading about the air pump with battery backup.
      But I also read about the need to remove the filter material from the
      pump if it is off for more than an hour as the bacteria can die.

      Question: do the backteria die because they are exposed to air or
      because the water is not moving? The filter pads we have stay
      underwater if the pump is off. Is this a concern?

      Another question: what to do if we are not home?

      Candy
    • Sue Parks
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
        Candy,
        I bought enough pumps (in the sporting goods department) to have 2 for
        each of my tanks.
        They cost around $6 each. Then grabbed some batteries and will be sure
        to use them in flashlights or something before they expire. Then just
        have to have enough batteries on hand to put in the pumps.
        They are intended for makeshift bait buckets, but will work for this in
        a pinch.

        Sue Parks
        where dachshunds rule

        Yesterday our power went out for almost an hour. All our fish are
        fine. But we are wondering now, what if the power goes out for more
        than an hour? I was reading about the air pump with battery backup.
        But I also read about the need to remove the filter material from the
        pump if it is off for more than an hour as the bacteria can die.

        Question: do the backteria die because they are exposed to air or
        because the water is not moving? The filter pads we have stay
        underwater if the pump is off. Is this a concern?

        Another question: what to do if we are not home?

        Candy

        Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
        www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly
        qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website
        exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at
        www.highaspirationsinc.com.

        Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message
        to:
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        10/2/2006
      • Giancarlo Podio
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
          Although it's never a good idea to suggest one can go longer, I've had
          power outages and brain dumps (forgot filter unhooked) overnight and
          did not have any problems with lost cycle or oxygen depletion. In my
          case it is with large canisters so I'm sure the extra volume of water
          there helps keep the bacteria safe longer. The bacteria is likely more
          in danger of running out of oxygen than anything else. Floating the
          media in the tank, specially if it's not a sealed canister, is easy
          enough to do and should assure it's survival. I've never had a power
          outage long enough to pull out the emergency equipment, but I do keep a
          UPS on at least one filter in each tank. I have never done anything
          during short outages under 2 hours or so. Obviously one's stocking
          level will play the biggest role in determining how quickly the tank
          will become oxygen deprived. Those battery operated air pumps are well
          worth having around, just make sure you have some extra batteries
          stored along with it.

          Giancarlo

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Candy" <artist@...> wrote:

          > Yesterday our power went out for almost an hour. All our fish are
          > fine. But we are wondering now, what if the power goes out for more
          > than an hour? I was reading about the air pump with battery backup.
          > But I also read about the need to remove the filter material from the
          > pump if it is off for more than an hour as the bacteria can die.
          >
          > Question: do the backteria die because they are exposed to air or
          > because the water is not moving? The filter pads we have stay
          > underwater if the pump is off. Is this a concern?
          >
          > Another question: what to do if we are not home?
          >
          > Candy

        • Susan Dreamer
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
            I had a filter give out on me and it took about aweek or two before i could move to another tank. IT was a 5 gallon and their were only snails and mosquitto fry in it. When i moved them to a new tank they all were fine. Although I did leave one snail in a dry tank over night. He was fine too.

            I would not take any chances on my main tanks though. I had no choice as the fry were to small to put in any other tank or they would be dinner.

            One thing i noticed about power failers is it can mess with your HOB filters. Especially Aqua clears. Dont think my cascades were effected. Much prefer using sponge filters now.

            There is my thoughts on the subjest such as they are
            ~Susan~

          • Candy
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
              Thank you everyone for the help. What is an HOB filter? I can't seem
              to figure that one out.

              Candy

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Dreamer" <logjor@...> wrote:

              > I had a filter give out on me and it took about aweek or two
              before i could
              > move to another tank. IT was a 5 gallon and their were only snails
              and
              > mosquitto fry in it. When i moved them to a new tank they all were
              fine.
              > Although I did leave one snail in a dry tank over night. He was
              fine too.

              > I would not take any chances on my main tanks though. I had no
              choice as the
              > fry were to small to put in any other tank or they would be dinner.
              >
              > One thing i noticed about power failers is it can mess with your
              HOB
              > filters. Especially Aqua clears. Dont think my cascades were
              effected. Much
              > prefer using sponge filters now.
              >
              > There is my thoughts on the subjest such as they are
              > ~Susan~

            • Susan Dreamer
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                Hang on Back filter
                ~Susan~

                --
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
              • Brian Malinconico
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Hang on Back

                • Deenerz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Hi Candy,
                     HOB is an abbreviation for Hang On Back filter, like aqua clears, bio wheel filters, cascade, and others that hang on the back of the tank.

                    Mike

                    Thank you everyone for the help. What is an HOB filter? I can't seem
                    to figure that one out.

                    Candy

                    Recent Activity
                    Visit Your Group
                    Yahoo! News
                    What's the word on
                    fashion and style?
                    Y! GeoCities
                    Easy-to-use tools.
                    Get started now.
                    Yahoo! Groups
                    in 3 easy steps.
                    Connect with others.
                    .

                  • Candy
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Duh! You think I could have figured that out LOL! Anyway, I have two
                      HOBs, now that I know what they are.

                      Candy

                      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Dreamer" <logjor@...> wrote:

                      > Hang on Back filter
                      > ~Susan~
                    • Eric Mueller
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                        Just to put forward an idea...

                        Anyone familiar with emergency lights in public buildings? They're
                        actually hooked into the power lines, so that when the power fails, the
                        light's circuitry detects it and the emergency lights turn on. I
                        assume they have rechargeable batteries in them.

                        A basic aquarium setup probably doesn't use much more than a couple of
                        low-wattage light bulbs worth of energy. Is there anything out there
                        on the market similar to emergency lights that would do the trick?
                        Hmm, would a back-up power supply for computers work for this too?

                        As far as the bacteria dying, I've heard that there's a 2 hour time
                        limit if the bacteria is out of water and exposed to air. After that,
                        the bacteria is pretty much done.

                        Eric
                      • Deenerz@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                           Hi Eric,
                          I have considered the same thing about the computer back up power supplies.  I used to have one that I had used as a back up until the battery died.

                          Another possibility is a power inverter and a car battery.  Someone mentioned to me the possibility that battery acid can leak out of the battery.  But a battery outside with cables going inside to the power inverter is not a big deal.  If you klive in an area with frequent power problems it would be worthwhile to do this.  A few years ago in California, where I live, we had frequent rolling blackouts.  At that time I did not have much in the way of tanks so it was not too much of an issue.  Now however I have over 25 tanks running and a power loss makes me nervous.

                          At the moment most of the tanks are on sponge filters driven by one linear air pump, so I can use a battery back up or power inverter.

                          mike

                          Anyone familiar with emergency lights in public buildings? They're
                          actually hooked into the power lines, so that when the power fails, the
                          light's circuitry detects it and the emergency lights turn on. I
                          assume they have rechargeable batteries in them.

                          A basic aquarium setup probably doesn't use much more than a couple of
                          low-wattage light bulbs worth of energy. Is there anything out there
                          on the market similar to emergency lights that would do the trick?
                          Hmm, would a back-up power supply for computers work for this too?

                          As far as the bacteria dying, I've heard that there's a 2 hour time
                          limit if the bacteria is out of water and exposed to air. After that,
                          the bacteria is pretty much done.

                          Eric
                          Recent Activity
                          Visit Your Group
                          Yahoo! News
                          Get the latest
                          world news now
                          Y! GeoCities
                          Put your favorite
                          photos online.
                          Yahoo! Groups
                          in 3 easy steps.
                          Connect with others.
                          .

                        • Tony Romano
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006

                            Correct Eric, just get a UPS.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                              Caution is warranted when using a car battery or any other lead acid
                              battery as they release a poisonous gas (I'm not a chemist but I think
                              it is hydrogen sulfide). Clearly something you don't want around an
                              aquarium air pump. Also, they can be problematic in terms of charging
                              and maintaining a charge for when you actually do need it. I am
                              certain that you can find a safe commercial solution that does not use
                              a lead acid battery. I've seen many such products in Canada. Since
                              you have so many tanks, it would be worth your while to add up all the
                              electricity used to match you requirements. If you need a hand
                              converting watts/amps etc, let me know.
                            • Giancarlo Podio
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                Yes, a UPS unit will work very well. If you search back a year or so
                                there was some discussions and testing I performed to see how long
                                some popular/cheap UPS units were able to run my Eheim 2217 for. A
                                small 500-750vA unit kept my Eheim running close to a full day. One
                                of the things to know is that there are different qualities of UPS
                                units, in particular the circuitry used to generate the AC sinewave.
                                The APC brand uses the "Smart" tag to indicate models that have a
                                full wave generator rather than cheaper alternative. Both keep the
                                filter running, however if you turn your filter off during an outage,
                                a cheap sinewave generator may struggle to start it back up,
                                specially if your impeller is dirty. I use the cheap models and
                                remember not to turn the filters off for any reason during an outage.
                                The drain of my canister didn't really effect it's working time as
                                these units are made to hold a lot more for shorter lengths of time.
                                Even with no load, the internal circuitry will drain the battery in
                                similar time frames if the unit is left on.

                                For longer outages, I have a 12VDC-110VAC inverter which I would plug
                                into my car and run extension cords to the various tanks. I would not
                                personally bring a car battery inside though, it's best left in the
                                car if possible as you can leave the car running every so often to
                                keep it charged. This way in very long outages, gas would be the only
                                item you would need to stock up on.

                                For the DIY'er, there are many solar powered plans on the internet
                                that would allow you to easily setup a 2-4 car battery pack outdoors
                                or in the garage which are kept charged by solar power. If kept
                                indoors, sealed batteries such as the ones used in marine and
                                aviation applications would be very safe. Jumper cables can be used
                                in emergencies to quick charge the battery pack from your car during
                                very long outages.

                                But if I lived in Florida, I'd wait for the "power outage" season to
                                end and try to pick up a used generator for cheap somewhere...

                                Hope that helps
                                Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Deenerz@... wrote:

                                > Hi Eric,
                                > I have considered the same thing about the computer back up power
                                supplies. I used to have one that I had used as a back up until the
                                battery died.

                                > Another possibility is a power inverter and a car battery. Someone
                                mentioned to me the possibility that battery acid can leak out of the
                                battery. But a battery outside with cables going inside to the power
                                inverter is not a big deal. If you klive in an area with frequent
                                power problems it would be worthwhile to do this. A few years ago in
                                California, where I live, we had frequent rolling blackouts. At that
                                time I did not have much in the way of tanks so it was not too much
                                of an issue. Now however I have over 25 tanks running and a power
                                loss makes me nervous.

                                > At the moment most of the tanks are on sponge filters driven by one
                                linear air pump, so I can use a battery back up or power inverter.

                                > mike

                                __
                                across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

                              • Frank M. Greco
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                  <<Anyone familiar with emergency lights in public buildings? They're
                                  actually hooked into the power lines, so that when the power fails, the
                                  light's circuitry detects it and the emergency lights turn on. I
                                  assume they have rechargeable batteries in them. A basic aquarium setup
                                  probably doesn't use much more than a couple of low-wattage light bulbs
                                  worth of energy. Is there anything out there
                                  on the market similar to emergency lights that would do the trick? >>

                                  Yes, there is an air pump that operates on the principle, and several
                                  companies make them. See an example at
                                  http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modules.php?name=Product_Review&bkid=237 .
                                  Here's some info:

                                  FEATURES :
                                  1. With twin outlets, auto-recharge air pump.
                                  2. You may select the pump way of continuously or discontinuously.
                                  3. When the power supply cuts, select to the discontinuously type (turn to
                                  LO position) and it will continuously run for 20 hrs.
                                  4. Exhausting: 240 Ltrs / per hr.
                                  5. Adopt the buffer & shock absorber devices (more powerful and quietly)
                                  6. Adopts the high-class water free recharging battery. With overloading and
                                  over discharging electronic wiring device to prolong the service life of the
                                  battery.

                                  They sell for about $100 or so. I have one that I use when I go collecting
                                  as it works when the car is off.

                                  Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)--LMD
                                • Rob Zanussi
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                    I believe the batteries release this only while being charged, not while in
                                    use. If they did discharge this all the time you would be running the risk
                                    of blowing up each time you started or were even running your car. You
                                    would be surprised at the "electrical leaks" that old plug wires allow.
                                    Just put an old set on one night and start the car in the dark.

                                    As for keeping them charged while waiting for a power failure, you can get
                                    small solar panels that are designed for keeping RV etc batteries topped up
                                    while not in use. Just get one of those and leave it somewhere safe, ie
                                    garage, and sunny and connected to the battery.

                                    Rob

                                    At 12:20 PM 10/5/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                                    > Caution is warranted when using a car
                                    >battery or any other lead acid
                                    > battery as they release a poisonous gas (I'm not a chemist but I think
                                    > it is hydrogen sulfide). Clearly something you don't want around an
                                    > aquarium air pump. Also, they can be problematic in terms of charging
                                    > and maintaining a charge for when you actually do need it. I am
                                    > certain that you can find a safe commercial solution that does not use
                                    > a lead acid battery. I've seen many such products in Canada. Since
                                    > you have so many tanks, it would be worth your while to add up all the
                                    > electricity used to match you requirements. If you need a hand
                                    > converting watts/amps etc, let me know.

                                    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have millions of old ladies
                                    running around with tattoos and pierced navels?
                                  • Candy
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                      I noticed Drs. Foster and Smith sell the battery backup pump you
                                      mention. Has anyone tried this pump? The one thing about air pumps I
                                      don't like is the noisy vibrations. I run two small air pumps, one
                                      for each tank, to run bubble disks. I unplug them when we watch TV
                                      so we don't have to listen to the vibration. Of course our HOB
                                      filters run all the time.

                                      Candy

                                      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...>

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                        <<Has anyone tried this pump? >>

                                        Me.

                                        << The one thing about air pumps I don't like is the noisy vibrations. I
                                        run two small air pumps, one for each tank, to run bubble disks. I unplug
                                        them when we watch TV so we don't have to listen to the vibration.>>

                                        I find it to be very quiet for an air pump of its size. You hardly even
                                        notice it. Now, this may be different in a dead quiet room, but in a TV
                                        room, you should not hear it.

                                        Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
                                        Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
                                        The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
                                      • Deenerz@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                           Well thank goodness I said that already, get to read it from 3 or 4 different people.  Must be an echo!

                                          Caution is warranted when using a car battery or any other lead acid
                                          battery as they release a poisonous gas
                                          Recent Activity
                                          Visit Your Group
                                          Yahoo! News
                                          Travel the world
                                          with Richard Bangs
                                          Y! GeoCities
                                          Join the web's lar- gest community.
                                          Yahoo! Groups
                                          in 3 easy steps.
                                          Connect with others.
                                          .

                                        • Joseph Reid
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                            What type of pump is it. I see there on the same site the new types where the pumps are raised off the floor not sure how good it works but it might be more silent.

                                            wrote:

                                            > Yes, there is an air pump that operates on the principle, and
                                            several
                                            > companies make them. See an example at
                                            > http://www.azoo. com.tw/azoo_ en/modules. php?
                                            name=Product_ Review&bkid= 237 .
                                            > Here's some info:
                                            >
                                            > FEATURES :
                                            > 1. With twin outlets, auto-recharge air
                                            pump.
                                            > 2. You may select the pump way of continuously or discontinuously.
                                            > 3. When the power supply cuts, select to the discontinuously type
                                            (turn to
                                            > LO position) and it will continuously run for 20 hrs.
                                            > 4. Exhausting: 240 Ltrs / per hr.
                                            > 5. Adopt the buffer & shock absorber devices (more powerful and
                                            quietly)
                                            > 6. Adopts the high-class water free recharging battery. With
                                            overloading and
                                            > over discharging electronic wiring device to prolong the service
                                            life of the
                                            > battery.
                                            >
                                            > They sell for about $100 or so. I have one that I use when I go
                                            collecting
                                            > as it works when the car is off.
                                            >
                                            > Frank M. Greco (phrankg@... )--LMD

                                          • Candy
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 5, 2006
                                              I have an AZOO 2500 that I feel is noisy. I was wondering if the AZOO
                                              pump with battery back up is quieter.

                                              Candy

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                <<I have an AZOO 2500 that I feel is noisy. I was wondering if the AZOO
                                                pump with battery back up is quieter.>>

                                                Candy, that I can't tell you as I've never used the 2500.