Re: [UniQuaria] acrylic tanks

  • Evita
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2006
      Bill,  I am old school when it comes to tanks.  Glass cracks but arylic scratches.  I remember my first tank.  I saves every penny my 9 year old hands got and bought my first tank.  It was glass and stainless steel sides.  13 gals for 13.00.  Filters and hood. Almost 30 years ago.   Evita

      soybil <soybil@...> wrote:
      does any one use these SEA CLEAR ACRYLIC TANKS they say they are
      stronger than glass and no seams so they wont leak
      the 40 gallon is $170 comes with light seems a bit high in the price
      i was going to get a 40 breeder fo $75 and build a stand for it
      what do you think do they turn yellow with age or is that the old
      arylic
      Bill ...i'm new...

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2006
        Hi Bill. That's not a bad price for an acrylic tank. As others have said, they do have their advantages, the main one being they are much lighter in weight. Acrylic tanks also come in a wider variety of shapes. Personally, I would never own one, having worked with them both in the home and professionally. They just scratch way too easily. Yes, the scratches can be buffed out, but you'd need to drain the tank to do so. Not something you want to do with an established aquarium. So, if you are looking for a standard-sized aquarium, go glass. You want something unusual, go acrylic. My advice: go standard.