Re: do they make fish tank coolers

  • soybil
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2006
      wow those are some nice looking set ups i just put the fan infront of
      the tank and lad chop sticks across the corners to prop up the lid.

      now if i want to build one like those in the like i have to find
      aquarium safe glue
      also if i use the set up with the fans built in to the lid is there
      any chance a fish will jump out of the water and get hit by a fan
      blade....maybe put a sreen over it ...i was thinking to drill a lot
      of holes in asheet of acrylc to let the air flow though but smaller
      than the fish but i was worried about a shaving of arylic from the
      drillig getting into the tank

      thanks for the ideas
      Bill...I'm new....

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <gpodio@...>
      wrote:

      > Short of choosing a chiller, you'd be surprised how much cooling
      > power a fan can have if positioned so that it blows over the
      surface
      > of the water. Even removing one of the glass lids from the tank is
      > enough to increase evaporation and cool the tank some.
      >
      > Here's some nice ideas for any DIY'ers:
      > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/fan_tray.html
      > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/cooling.html
      >
      > Hope that helps
      > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
      >
      > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "soybil" <soybil@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hi
      > > here is a good question my 10 gallon is getting too warm like 82F
      > do
      > > they make tank colers like they have the heaters maybe for gold
      > fish
      > > tanks since they are cold water fish?
      > > thanks
      > > Bill .....I'm new ,but learning....

    • Lois
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/ctpplB/TM

        > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals
        > we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at
        > High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group
        > can do anything and everything to make your website
        > exceed your expectations. Please visit their website
        > at www.highaspirationsinc.com.
        >
        > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you
        > do, send a message to:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Giancarlo Podio
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          They are a lifesaver! My personal tank has over 600W of lighting and
          a single PC fan in the right position is all I have to keep the temp
          stable. I even bought a chiller for this tank due to the 15WPG ratio
          of light per volume but haven't needed it as long as the room temp is
          kept around 5 degrees (F) below desired tank temperature (80F).

          Here's a pic of the fan in the canopy:
          http://gpodio.smugmug.com/gallery/1446695/1/68861848

          It's just running on a Radio Shack variable power supply (wall wart).
          It's rated at 12v but I often run it at 9v as it's very quiet at that
          speed. For emergencies I always have one of these in my "tool box":

          http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-95.html

          Hope that helps
          Giancarlo Podio

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Deenerz@... wrote:

          > Giancarlo,
          > Those were excellent links, thanks for sharing them.
          > I may incorporate a couple of those into my living room tank this
          summer when the heat gets ugly.

          > Mike

        • Giancarlo Podio
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
            To bond acrylic you use a solvent, the most common is
            called "weldon". It practically melts the acrylic together so there
            is actually no glue involved. Otherwise aquarium grade silicon or
            epoxy glue would work seeing these do not need to sustain heavy
            loads. I've never heard of a fish jumping into a fan but you could
            use regular PC fan grills such as these:

            http://www.xoxide.com/80mmgrills.html

            If you are not handy with acrylic and feel wood is easier to work
            with, you can use balsa wood and then coat it several times with a
            polyeurathane sealer. Otherwise the clip-on fan is always a good non-
            DIY solution.

            This link is far more than one needs to know about working with
            acrylic, but the first parts talk about the glues used and some other
            tips:

            http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

            Hope that helps
            Giancarlo Podio

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "soybil" <soybil@...> wrote:

            > wow those are some nice looking set ups i just put the fan infront
            of
            > the tank and lad chop sticks across the corners to prop up the lid.
            >
            > now if i want to build one like those in the like i have to find
            > aquarium safe glue
            > also if i use the set up with the fans built in to the lid is there
            > any chance a fish will jump out of the water and get hit by a fan
            > blade....maybe put a sreen over it ...i was thinking to drill a lot
            > of holes in asheet of acrylc to let the air flow though but
            smaller
            > than the fish but i was worried about a shaving of arylic from the
            > drillig getting into the tank
            >
            > thanks for the ideas
            > Bill...I'm new....
            >

            > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <gpodio@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Short of choosing a chiller, you'd be surprised how much cooling
            > > power a fan can have if positioned so that it blows over the
            > surface
            > > of the water. Even removing one of the glass lids from the tank
            is
            > > enough to increase evaporation and cool the tank some.
            > >
            > > Here's some nice ideas for any DIY'ers:
            > > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/fan_tray.html
            > > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/cooling.html
            > >
            > > Hope that helps
            > > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
            > >
            > > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "soybil" <soybil@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > hi
            > > > here is a good question my 10 gallon is getting too warm like
            82F
            > > do
            > > > they make tank colers like they have the heaters maybe for gold
            > > fish
            > > > tanks since they are cold water fish?
            > > > thanks
            > > > Bill .....I'm new ,but learning....

          • MLR299
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
              Why not just buy a chiller. They are used for saltwater tanks but why not use  them for freshwater tanks too?

            • Giancarlo Podio
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                I would say price and complexity is the major reason to search for
                alternate solutions. A chiller requires a pump to circulate water
                through it. The chiller is also rather noisy and generates heat in
                the room. Most freshwater tanks are relatively cheap to setup and so
                it's hard to justify the costs of a chiller, it's also not as
                critical in FW to keep the temperature as stable as it is in reef
                setups. Obviously the temperature difference required is also very
                important, a fan will allow you to get a couple degrees cooler, a
                chiller can take you 10-20 degrees cooler if needed (and powerful
                enough)...

                Giancarlo

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, MLR299 <mlr299@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > is
                > > > enough to increase evaporation and cool the tank some.
                > > >
                > > > Here's some nice ideas for any DIY'ers:
                > > > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/fan_tray.html
                > > > http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/cooling.html
                > > >
                > > > Hope that helps
                > > > Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                > 82F
                > > > do
                > > > fish
                > > > >

                > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
                www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This
                highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your
                website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at
                www.highaspirationsinc.com.

                > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a
                message to:

                > Aquarium coffee table Aquarium table Banana fish
                Fish oil Fish oil supplement Fish pond liner

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Sneak preview the all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different.
                Just radically better.

              • Lois
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Why not just get a cheap room air conditioner at one
                  of the discount stores and enjoy the cooling while you
                  keep the fish cool? I have seen a/c advertised for
                  as low as $89.00. Some of the devices that have been
                  described seem to be a lot more money and trouble than

                  than they are worth. What if you have more than one
                  tank,etc.
                  Lois.LMD
                  Ohio,USA

                  --- Giancarlo Podio <gpodio@...> wrote:

                  > I would say price and complexity is the major reason
                  > to search for
                  > alternate solutions.
                • Giancarlo Podio
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                    That's pretty much what I suggested in a previous post. If the room
                    is not too big and you can fit a window AC unit, that's likely the
                    better solution for most rather than a chiller. But I'd still try a
                    fan first if you can fit it into the canopy nicely or hide it behind
                    the lighting...

                    And there's always the tank that likes to be hot, I have one that
                    regardless of the stable 72 degrees in the house, it still requires a
                    couple fans to stay under 80. I plan to add a sump this summer as
                    that helps a lot with cooling too.

                    Giancarlo