RE: [UniQuaria] Re: Endler's wingei

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
      <<It's just too bad that it wasn't named after Endler.>>

      Which it should have been, I think. I'll need to check the rules of nomenclature to be sure, but I think that if a common name is in common use (such as "guppy" for P. reticulata), it is kept as the common name. Since Poecilia endleri was never given valid status, Poecilia wingei is the valid scientific name. I wonder why the describers decided not to use P. endleri? I'll try to get the article and see what they have to say.

      Frank
    • daniel.brown@realtimeworlds.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006

        It’s a shame they’ve not been named after Endler, they are such lovely little fish!

        <<It's just too bad that it wasn't named after Endler.>>

        Which it should have been, I think. I'll need to check the rules of nomenclature to be sure, but I think that if a common name is in common use (such as "guppy" for P. reticulata), it is kept as the common name. Since Poecilia endleri was never given valid status, Poecilia wingei is the valid scientific name. I wonder why the describers decided not to use P. endleri? I'll try to get the article and see what they have to say.

        This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System

        DISCLAIMER
        This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. Please note that we cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or that it has not been intercepted and amended. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of Real Time Worlds Ltd.
        This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System
      • schelldweller
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
          Perhaps Mr. Endler will just have to return to this area and discover
          another beautiful little Livebearer, even prettier that this E. wingei,
          and name that one after himself.

          WILMA, I still have the lovley breeding group of
          Endler's that I bought from you last year. They do not seem
          surprised to be addressed as, "Hey you little wingeis!" at feeding
          time. I am selecting them to retain the original basic black
          and neon orange.
          Joanna, LMD

        • Wilma Duncan

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
              <<Perhaps Mr. Endler will just have to  return to this area and discover another beautiful little Livebearer, even prettier that this E. wingei, and name that one after himself.>>

              The problem arose because the name P. endlerii was never published in any scientific literature. Because of this, there was no reason to name the fish for him (although, due to common name usage, I think it should have been). Also, I don't believe that Mr. Endler can name an animal after himself. I believe that someone needs to do that for him.

              Also, it was stated that they are not sure the described species is the same as the aquarium species. I find this of major interest as a simple look at the DNA would have provided the answer.

              For those interested, the rules of zoological nomenclature can be found at  http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp