RE: [UniQuaria] Re: vegetarian food for vitamins

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
      <<What do you think about zucchini? Is it good?>>

      Zucchini is good, but kale and collards are even better, nutritionally. And
      always freeze these foods before feeding. Never heat as heating will destroy
      a good amount of some vitamins.

      Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
      Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
      The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
    • Dorothy
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
        Help! I have found about 14 eggs on the glass of my aquarium. I have in the
        tank diamond and blueberry tetras, neons, a number of cory varieties, and
        two algae eaters. Whose eggs are they likely to be (how can I tell), and
        how should I handle them?

        Thanks,

        Dorothy
      • Deenerz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
          Well I cannot comment on the vitamin part of zucchini but my plecostomus will devour it.  Since they need more than algae to live on he gets the zucchini and algae wafers every so often.

          Mike

          In a message dated 3/31/2006 8:06:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, leoaive@... writes:
          Hi
          Thanks for reply.
          What do you think about zucchini? Is it good? I have seen on the web
          that some people give that to clown loaches.

          Leo

        • phrankg@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006

            Mike, you should try kale, collards or even parsley. Take a look at the difference:

            Vitamin C:

            Zuc: 19 mg/100g
            Collards: 92 mg/100m
            Kale: 125 mg/100g
            Parsley: 172 mg/100g

            Calcium:

            Zuc: 28 mg/100g
            Collards: 203 mg/100g
            Kale:179 mg/100g
            Parsley: 203 mg/100g

            Vitamin A

            Zuc: 500 IU/100g
            Collards: 11000 IU/100g
            Kale: 8900 IU/100g
            Parsley: 8500 IU/100g

            So you can see that zucchini is not necessarily the best choice. Fishes that eat zucchini should also take other greens.

          • Deenerz@aol.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                Hi

                Thanks for info on vegetables. Today I gave some green, but sweet
                grapes to bettas. They really like that. Then I left. When I came back
                I see them searching on a bottom. Look like they like it some much
                that want to make sure they did not miss anything.
                I know that grapes are high in antioxidant, so it might be good for
                their health.

                Leo
              • red-eye
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2006