Chocolate Gourami

  • missalyssax2xs
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
      Does anyone own a Chocolate Gourami?
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
        What did you need to know. While I don't have any now, I have had them in
        the past.

        Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
        Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
        The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
      • harry perry
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
          I just picked up 4 of these. Can any one share any information on raising and breeding?.

          Thanks

          Harry
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
            On 11/30/2012 12:58 PM, harry perry wrote:
            I just picked up 4 of these. Can any one share any information on raising and breeding?.
            Hi Harry. First and foremost, keep them warm. I've found they do best when kept at least 78 dF. Their aquarium should be provided with some driftwood to provide some shaded areas.  I've used oak leaves as a substrate as it not only provides more hiding places, but acidifies the water as well. Keep lighting dim. pH range of 4.5 to 6.5. Due to their small mouth size, small foods are feeded. I've fed mine flake, chopped frozen bloodworms, live blackworms and grated Repashy gel food.
            As to breeding, his species is a maternal mouthbrooder.

            Frank
          • harry perry
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
              Thank you very much.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
                I've kept groups of these happy with warm tank, glass bottom (for super cleanliness) Java Moss/Najas G/  the wood mentioned...   3/5th tap (treated and set out for a couple of days0 - with 2/5th RO added,   -- airline tubing vacuuming the bottom, very slow water replacement as in-     airline tubing in a gallon jug of warm water with clip on hose to maintain very slow drip.

                     AND STRIPS OF @POLY-FILTER pad set under their sponge filter.  Cut the pad in one inch strips.   I left some older Poly pad-Filter strips in the tank when I added new ones.    I hoped they kept the balance of good bacteria in the tank.    It's interesting to watch the pure white strips start to color as their absorb stuff in the water.

                Fresh BBS was standard with clean mosquito larvae in the warm months.    (Mosquito larvae tubs were cleaned and refilled with tape water every 6 weeks or so)      Finely sliced bits of frozen blood was fed also.     My recent Chocs liked Hikari MicroPellets and little bits of crumbed and recrumbled flakes.

                I've lost groups twice:   once when I had my hands in a tank the day after I'd applied a steriod cream to them.    (I later realized my hand rash was probably caused by handling frozen blood worms/  the rash disappeared completely shortly after I quit using them)     The 2nd group loss was recent -    I think something from my outdoor tub of Najas g/ Java Moss (collected from a Florida pond).      By the time I noticed some very tiny
                leach looking critters I had already infected my tanks.

                Chocs do very well for me -    as long as I don't get lazy with their water changes and don't infect their tank with stuff collected from non aquarium sources.     I suggest a species tank with a dozen fish and lots of plants.   Mine never seemed to mind a strip light over the tank and sometimes I grew top cover with Salvinia and floating leaves of the humble Banana plant.      Mine have never spawned but I've never set up for that.

                Nice to hear from you, Harry.       Donna Joanna